La Crêperie de Paris: Redheaded Stepchild?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Where’s the love for La Crêperie de Paris? It opened on October 1, but I haven’t seen any press coverage. I don’t read the Disney Manicure Food Blog anymore. This looks like it could be one of the best (or most successful) TS restaurants at Epcot. The setting, menus, and price point all look desirable.

lovett1979

TheTimTracker on YouTube tried it at a preview event. Everything looked delicious. Maybe there were just too many things happening/starting on October 1 for folks to cover it all. They were too busy complaining about HarmonioUS and Enchantment.

cboyer

I think it suffered from a couple of things in the press. It officially opened on the anniversary, same time as the Remy ride opened, new fireworks premiered at two parks, lots of other goings on. There was so much to distract from it. Then you combine that with the QS option right next door selling some of what I would deem the more popular options, might detract from people doing the sit down option. I have seen a few reviews from the bloggers style press, wdwnt, allears, etc. It was during the previews and they had mostly positive things to say. But surprisingly, Disney Food Blog was not impressed, and they gush over everything it seems.

For my part I am looking forward to it. Somethings new, menu looks good, but very reasonably priced.

George

I understand about everything else opening up at the same time, but NO coverage, except from a YouTuber? Hmm.

DFB does gush over everything, but their tastes are rather pedestrian. They were probably spooked by the (authentic) buckwheat crêpes. Which is ANOTHER reason I’m excited about this one.

Micah008

Staff member
I agree I haven't seen as much about it as I would expect. On the Disney Dish podcast they had nothing but good things to say about it when Len and a few others tried it back in Sept. I think maybe the fact that it had been open unofficially for multiple weeks made the official Oct 1 date less important.

I am looking forward to trying it for sure.

cboyer

DFB does gush over everything, but their tastes are rather pedestrian. They were probably spooked by the (authentic) buckwheat crêpes. Which is ANOTHER reason I’m excited about this one.
It might just seem like they gush over everything because things I would consider mediocre they rave about like it was the best meal ever. I tend to gloss over their reviews. But I agree with you totally on this.

George

It might just seem like they gush over everything because things I would consider mediocre they rave about like it was the best meal ever. I tend to gloss over their reviews. But I agree with you totally on this.
Well, they’re essentially ”paid” (in the form of press invites) by Disney to lead the cheering section on Most Things Disney Dining. Which is why I wouldn’t trust time as far as I could thrown them. They’re fine for pretty pictures of food and manicures, and describing the surroundings, but that’s where my interest in their views stops for me.

i<3riviera

if lines are any indication, it's been a very long wait for La Crêperie de Paris every time I've been back to that part of France or flown by in the Skyliner

Strangeite

I agree I haven't seen as much about it as I would expect. On the Disney Dish podcast they had nothing but good things to say about it when Len and a few others tried it back in Sept. I think maybe the fact that it had been open unofficially for multiple weeks made the official Oct 1 date less important.

I am looking forward to trying it for sure.

If memory serves me correct, they said that it is the rare time that the prix fixe was a good value at a Disney restaurant.

RetroCOTfan

If memory serves me correct, they said that it is the rare time that the prix fixe was a good value at a Disney restaurant.
For $33, you get an appetizer (soup or salad), a savory galette, a dessert crepe, and a glass of hard cider or soda. That's pretty amazing for Disney, especially if you get the cider.

We tried the QS window on Monday, and while the queue was pretty long (extending almost to the last row of switchbacks), we only waited about 20 minutes, IIRC. I didn't get one, because crepes aren't my thing, but my wife and daughter loved theirs. The prices there were pretty reasonable, too, at about $7-8 for a pretty sizable dessert crepe.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
For $33, you get an appetizer (soup or salad), a savory galette, a dessert crepe, and a glass of hard cider or soda. That's pretty amazing for Disney, especially if you get the cider.

We tried the QS window on Monday, and while the queue was pretty long (extending almost to the last row of switchbacks), we only waited about 20 minutes, IIRC. I didn't get one, because crepes aren't my thing, but my wife and daughter loved theirs. The prices there were pretty reasonable, too, at about $7-8 for a pretty sizable dessert crepe.
I paid 6 euro (I think) from a super popular creperie takeout window in Paris about 4 years ago, for a HUGE crepe absolutely LOADED with cheese. $7-$8 seems unusually low for Disney pricing. Isn't that less than two of those pongu pongu eggroll deals in Pandora?

bnoble

he's right
It's DFB we need to "thank" for undercooked, over-cheesed Neapolitan pizza?
No, they were just representative of The General Public. I can't remember how many DISboarders complained about "burned pizza."

Indeed, that's the general arc nearly every interesting Disney restaurant eventually follows, though some of the more recent ones have held on longer than I expected.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I saw a fair amount of coverage. Most seemed to think it was really good, although maybe could have been themed a little better inside.

i<3riviera

thanks @George for asking about La Crêperie de Paris, I had been meaning to go but kept putting it off; you finally gave me the push I needed

first of all, I'm an idiot; who knew the crêpe windows were not part of the La Crêperie de Paris? probably everyone but me

should I have taken it as a hint that when I ordered at the window, the menu was very different from what I had seen online only an hour before? maybe, but I decided to plow on ahead

so after we ordered from the window, we approached the maître d' (we'll call him Brian) to get our table inside; yeah that was a no (or non in French); when Brian explained it was a different restaurant, we asked if we could cancel our window order; he said yes (or oui in French), just give him the receipt; then Brian noticed we paid with a gift card and asked for the gift card to process the refund, looking less pleased

our misstep was fixed and our ~45 USD refunded so the situation was rectified; well for 5 of the 8 of us; we had 3 others with their paper plated, window ordered crêpes already in hand who also wanted to go in and sit with us; that's ok right Brian?

did I mention we had a screaming baby with us? don't worry, the screaming baby was part of the 5 with the refund and not the paper plated, window ordered crêpes; totally owning the situation at this point, we all ordered tap water

just kidding, we had enough sense to make their help worth their while; we all ordered some sort of drink, a mixture of milk, cappuccino, tea, and sparkling lemonade; by the time the drinks came, the paper plated, window ordered crêpes were consumed so the tacky dining ware was removed (but not the tacky guests) and replaced with real plates; I convinced the crêpe eaters to go for galettes because you know savory definitely makes sense after sweet; the rest of us ordered a mix of galettes and crêpes split along parents / children axis

I ordered a classique (ham, egg, swiss cheese) but ended up eating a savoyarde (cheese, onion, ham)because my partner "mis-ordered" their galette; one of the tacky three ordered a poulet (chicken); when ordering, they pronounced it pool-leT and were therefore quickly ushered out of the restaurant and the entirety of the French pavilion; the remaining tacky pair split a savonyarde; the kids had two gourmande (Nutella) and a poire (pear) but only ate ~half so I was able to get a taste

I took a picture of my food as all respectable food critics do before they eat; you'll have to settle for my background of Pete the Cat and the lack of nail polish ...

classique_small.jpg

I wish I would have taken more pictures so you all could see how much of a hot mess we were; alas, just imagine the table you either feel very sorry for (if you're a human) or resent (if you forgot you were a child once)

all the galettes and crêpes were good; I enjoyed looking at the classique while my partner ate it; we ended up trading our ~45 USD window ordered crêpes for ~130 USD worth of drinks, crêpes, galettes, and the cost of sit-down service with generous tip

once correction from an earlier post, I said I always saw a long line for La Crêperie de Paris; well, that was only for the crêpe window; the entire time we were sitting down, there were about 1/4 to 1/3 of the tables available for walk in guests at La Crêperie de Paris; I feel like most people hit-up the crêpe window and don't even realize the restaurant is next door ... is what I tell myself to make myself feel better about my own idiocy

was this whole ruse an effort to abandon our extended family for a brief respite in La Crêperie de Paris? I wish I was that cunning but since it failed it doesn't matter

as we were walking out, Brian said goodbye and probably thought he was done with us; unfortunately for him, he was the only actual French person we could find in the pavilion so we of course had to spend the next five minutes flexing by speaking French with him and asking those inane questions you ask people when you're trying to show-off that you speak their language; he actually seemed to enjoy it because my eldest was leading the charge and first graders are still young enough to be broadly cute

overall, we'll be back; if you've never had a galette before, it's a good place to try them; while we didn't do it, I'd recommend the prix fixe with a galette and crêpe because you can have a pretty solid meal and enjoy some variety, especially if you order different things around the table