Local(ish) beer recommendations?

smwisc

Anyone have recommendations for Florida-made beers that isn't distributed nationwide but can be readily obtained, preferably at the Super Walmart or else at Publix? I like ales, mostly - amber, Belgian, IPA, some fruity ones. DH likes pretty much anything as long as it has flavor, although he's not too keen on the extra-super-hoppy IPAs - he does enjoy a good stout or porter.

kgillen

Cigar City Brewing, Florida Cracker Pale Ale. I picked up a six pack at the Publix in Celebration when last time we were down in 2018.

3 Daughters Brewing (St. Petersburg), Key Lime Cider. Not sure where you can get this around Orlando. Had it on tap at resort in Safety Harbor in Feb. 2020. Delicious.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Not quite local but close enough (Tampa), the Tampa Bay Brewing Old Elephant IPA that they serve at Skipper Canteen is pretty good, and probably easily found.

smwisc

Thanks for the recs. DH didn't find anything at the Walmart, which just generally looks like a swarm of locusts went through. We'll probably stop at Publix today or tomorrow.

Plenty of time for beer drinking as we work to avoid the crowds. :( We're doing okay but if I had known three weeks ago how badly things would deteriorate, we would not be here.

Anne

Thanks for the recs. DH didn't find anything at the Walmart, which just generally looks like a swarm of locusts went through. We'll probably stop at Publix today or tomorrow.

Plenty of time for beer drinking as we work to avoid the crowds. :( We're doing okay but if I had known three weeks ago how badly things would deteriorate, we would not be here.
That really stinks that your trip ended up coinciding with things getting worse in Florida :-(

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I was disappointed with the local beer selection at the Publix we stopped at (Universal Blvd, off of 528), so I didn't buy anything.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Cigar City is good even if they were bought out. Crooked Can is another one that should be pretty easy to find and you'll see an assortment of their offerings on property, though most outlets will likely be at Disney Springs. I doubt most people have enough interest, but Crooked Can is about 35 minutes away and attached to a fun farmers market: https://crookedcan.com/plant-st-market/ though I would guess less fun right now.

geek1997

The distribution options have improved vastly over the last five or six years. We are also able to get it here now but that connection is still there.

My husband had my mom send a bunch of micro brewery stuff to us from WI many years ago. And he stocked up on New Glarus items when we were moving her down here many years ago.

I know your trip is over but he also recommended Funky Buddha.