Loophole closed for booking double LL with G+

Anne

You can still book a new LL every 120 minutes if your LL window is more than 120 minutes out from when you booked. But you can no longer book a 2nd one after you tap in for the attraction later. It has become one or the other but not both. Seeing how poor G+ availability is this week that is a good thing. It seemed fairly benign when there were plenty of LL available when the system rolled out with lower crowds.. But during high crowds when you might be lucky to get 3-4 LL per day for your $16 it will impact the experience for others.

projectx

That sounds awful. And here's the thing... it's only going to get worse. Thanksgiving week is not the busiest week of the year; that belongs to Christmas.

Reading this softens the blow that we had to cancel our trip last minute. Those reports sound like a lot of people spent a ton of money on a Disney vacation and end up frustrated most of the day.

Abbyar

I went in knowing this week would be insanely busy, but we are spending more time in the parks (Disney would probably list this as a benefit) and we are all edgy and exhausted for it.

Part of what is so awful- Genie+ Recommendations include zero downtime. It’s insane.

Anne

I’m glad they fixed this, and am surprised it happened so quickly.
For Disney that is amazing speed. Which probably means it was having an impact on availability and they realized how badly this week was going.

G00fydad

For Disney that is amazing speed. Which probably means it was having an impact on availability and they realized how badly this week was going.
I'm willing to bet they already have this capability in place but didn't think that they were going to need it until now. Disney never moves this fast on anything. Especially their IT.

ThemeParkCommando

I went in knowing this week would be insanely busy, but we are spending more time in the parks (Disney would probably list this as a benefit) and we are all edgy and exhausted for it.

Part of what is so awful- Genie+ Recommendations include zero downtime. It’s insane.
I thought you could add restaurants / quick serve requests to the Genie recommendations, so it would factor in breaks for food at least?

Abbyar

I thought you could add restaurants / quick serve requests to the Genie recommendations, so it would factor in breaks for food at least?
It does, but poorly. It has a difficult time taking into account your reservations (though it does list them) and completely ignores rides you’ve gone on already, even if you tell it to remove from your day.

Abbyar

What I don’t get is … they knew how many people would be here bc of the park reservation system. Did they miscalculate how many would buy G+ the day of? Because based on my experience this week, the LL for Hollywood Studios sell out faster than all the other parks. I can’t tell if that’s the way it’s always been bc it’s such a small park, or the LL is so concentrated bc Indiana Jones is still down and there are so many people with too few attractions. But Lort Genie+ has not been worthwhile. Someone stumbled in their assumptions.

G00fydad

What I don’t get is … they knew how many people would be here bc of the park reservation system. Did they miscalculate how many would buy G+ the day of? Because based on my experience this week, the LL for Hollywood Studios sell out faster than all the other parks. I can’t tell if that’s the way it’s always been bc it’s such a small park, or the LL is so concentrated bc Indiana Jones is still down and there are so many people with too few attractions. But Lort Genie+ has not been worthwhile. Someone stumbled in their assumptions.
No. Disney just doesn't care. That apathy is what led to them creating something that they knew would fail on a busy day but would still make them tons of money. The days of Disney caring about guest satisfaction were stabbed in the back when Iger took over from Eisner The deathblow to guest satisfaction came with the promotion of Chapek. They are more concerned now with how much of your money they can take. This being my last trip to Disney ever I really no longer care what they plan to do in the future to fleece people. There are some that cannot understand why I am going again if I am this bitter toward Disney but that bitterness is tempered (slightly) by my strong desire to see Galaxy's Edge since I am a Star Wars freak.

projectx

What I don’t get is … they knew how many people would be here bc of the park reservation system. Did they miscalculate how many would buy G+ the day of?

I think a better question would be... How could they not know? This system wasn't cooked up in a one hour meeting.

Even I was a little concerned when tracking availability a couple weeks ago. By 1:00, all rides except star tours had return times past 7:00pm. I guess I assumed (wrongly) that more LL capacity would be added for busy weeks since there were reports of the LL lines being walk ons. There's no excuse for how bad it is right now.

I don't think shows and character meets will change anything. People aren't going to stop trying to book rides just because a show or two has returned.

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
In theory, the beauty lies in the ability to dynamically control pricing and availability. In practice, they aren't controlling pricing or availability. If the ILL for Rise are selling out that fast, they're leaving a TON of money on the table by not charging more. If regular G+ are unavailable that early in the day, they're leaving a TON of money on the table by consumers not seeing the value in the product because they're not allocating enough capacity to G+.

bnoble

he's right
...or they aren't dynamically pricing G+. I suspect that's more likely than increasing the LL capacity. I still think FP+'s core failure was that too many people used it, clogging standby lines everywhere.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
...or they aren't dynamically pricing G+. I suspect that's more likely than increasing the LL capacity. I still think FP+'s core failure was that too many people used it, clogging standby lines everywhere.
True, they *could* dynamically price G+ but they have a stated price point of $15 for it. They already state that the pricing on ILL will vary, but clearly, NOT ENOUGH.

projectx

If they're going to charge for it, the price point needs to be at a level that give people pause. Again, I can't believe I'm saying that but it's true. Because $15/pp/day is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Think of it this way. Some will be lower, and some will be (a lot) more...
Our 5-night stay in a preferred room at POR with a 4-day park ticket was around $4,800 for our family of 5 over Thanksgiving. Add in food, a souvenir or two, and airport parking, it's pushing $6k. Tack on airfare, so now it's up to $8k. At that point... what's another $300 for G+ each day?

Abbyar

If the ILL for Rise are selling out that fast, they're leaving a TON of money on the table by not charging more.
The difficulty with Rise particularly is that it spends much of the day down. We waited 25+ Minutes in the LL because it had come back up just as our window opened.

Abbyar

If they're going to charge for it, the price point needs to be at a level that give people pause. Again, I can't believe I'm saying that but it's true. Because $15/pp/day is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Think of it this way. Some will be lower, and some will be (a lot) more...
Our 5-night stay in a preferred room at POR with a 4-day park ticket was around $4,800 for our family of 5 over Thanksgiving. Add in food, a souvenir or two, and airport parking, it's pushing $6k. Tack on airfare, so now it's up to $8k. At that point... what's another $300 for G+ each day?
It definitely gave me pause. $15 x 6 + tax = nearly $100. And I spent double your numbers above since there were 6 of us in 2 rooms.

projectx

It definitely gave me pause. $15 x 6 + tax = nearly $100. And I spent double your numbers above since there were 6 of us in 2 rooms.
That may be true, but it's obviously not making enough people think twice about it. Though to be fair, $75 total didn't feel all that unreasonable. But something about crossing that $100 threshold caught my attention. That said, Seeing how it's borderline useless with heavy crowds would make me think twice about the $15 price point, but that's another discussion.

Look at Legoland. They have a Fastrack 3-pack that allows you to skip the line one time on 3 coasters. Looking around I found it as high as $40/pp. And there are plenty of days it's sold out.

mack

You can still book a new LL every 120 minutes if your LL window is more than 120 minutes out from when you booked. But you can no longer book a 2nd one after you tap in for the attraction later. It has become one or the other but not both. Seeing how poor G+ availability is this week that is a good thing. It seemed fairly benign when there were plenty of LL available when the system rolled out with lower crowds.. But during high crowds when you might be lucky to get 3-4 LL per day for your $16 it will impact the experience for others.
So with the rule as it has settled. If we start making res every 2 hours, and you turn one in (with some still being held in the future), does the 2 hour clock for the next one start from the time the last res was made or from when you just turned in?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
So with the rule as it has settled. If we start making res every 2 hours, and you turn one in (with some still being held in the future), does the 2 hour clock for the next one start from the time the last res was made or from when you just turned in?
Two hours from when the reservation was made, Just like paper FP. Even if the return time is more than two hours in the future.