Magic Kingdom Rope Drop From Main Entrance - Mine Train -> Peter Pan's Flight -> etc.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Do you count us as you fall asleep on your bed of silk-lined leaves?

~W~
No, I have an assistant that whispers the numbers into my ear in a calming, gentle voice. I don't actually do anything myself.

ontheuptick

Josh,

Thanks so much. Question - we've never seen the PP queue, and I think my kids would enjoy it. But, rushing to Mine Train isn't in our plans. I currently have a FP+ for PP but was thinking about moving it to something else.

I would be going on Dec 16th, 8am open. Would swapping Mine Train for Mickey at Town square be an "okay" adjustment. Then, I would get to Pan at a similar time to you and probably have a 15 minute wait instead of walk-on. Or maybe I should just forget the damn queue and tour as efficiently as possible and walk on PP first thing..

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure where those with kids come down on the new-ish Peter Pan queue. You've seen pictures or a video of it?

I like the idea of doing Mickey Mouse first thing to get away from the unpleasant walk up Main Street as quickly as possible. But theme park efficiency is so ingrained in my psyche that it's very difficult for me to advocate doing something that will cause you to wait longer. One potential problem with Mickey in particular is how early he starts meeting. The welcome show should start at 7:40am and conclude at about 7:45am and then you'll be on your way, so you'll arrive at Town Square around 7:47am. I'm not sure if Mickey will be ready right then or you'll have to wait a few minutes for his initial appearance. Obviously every minute you arrive at Peter Pan's Flight will result in a longer wait. So if you were to do Mickey first, heading basically anywhere other than Mine Train or Peter Pan's Flight would be smarter. But you would want to decide if having to wait about 30 minutes is worth a couple of set pieces, the shadow thing, and the pixie dust effect in the queue. For me it wouldn't be, but I'm not six years old either.

Not sure if that helps.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Talk about meta. And now we're discussing the DIS discussing our discussion of their discussion.

Back to the topic: when could we expect to be off Mine Train and on to Peter Pan with an 8:00 BOG?
I run through the Be Our Guest Mine Train/Peter Pan's Flight thing in this post: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/be-our-guest-8am-breakfast-reservation-review-the-rope-drop-situation-to-seven-dwarfs-and-annaelsa-magic-kingdom-morning-touring-over-spring-break-32715/

You should fare even better as when I visited, they were doing some filming and we were delayed by a couple of minutes. Assuming a 9am regular open and that you're out of the restaurant by 8:35am, I'd expect you to be through Mine Train and onto Peter Pan's Flight basically before anyone from the main entrance has an opportunity to arrive. So you wouldn't wait long at either.

ChristineOH

Josh,

Thanks so much. Question - we've never seen the PP queue, and I think my kids would enjoy it.
It is cute!
So cute that at RD in June, I annoyed a couple who looked to be in their early 70's, carrying a two year old. There's a spot with butterfly shadows flying, and when I pointed to them, a shadow butterfly landed on the shadow of my hand. I was so delighted by this that I stopped and marveled. Instead of saying excuse me, they crawled under the bar to go around me. Which wasn't so graceful for them. But again, all they had to do was say excuse me, but didn't. :RpS_blushing:

ontheuptick

I'm not sure where those with kids come down on the new-ish Peter Pan queue. You've seen pictures or a video of it?

I like the idea of doing Mickey Mouse first thing to get away from the unpleasant walk up Main Street as quickly as possible. But theme park efficiency is so ingrained in my psyche that it's very difficult for me to advocate doing something that will cause you to wait longer. One potential problem with Mickey in particular is how early he starts meeting. The welcome show should start at 7:40am and conclude at about 7:45am and then you'll be on your way, so you'll arrive at Town Square around 7:47am. I'm not sure if Mickey will be ready right then or you'll have to wait a few minutes for his initial appearance. Obviously every minute you arrive at Peter Pan's Flight will result in a longer wait. So if you were to do Mickey first, heading basically anywhere other than Mine Train or Peter Pan's Flight would be smarter. But you would want to decide if having to wait about 30 minutes is worth a couple of set pieces, the shadow thing, and the pixie dust effect in the queue. For me it wouldn't be, but I'm not six years old either.

Not sure if that helps.
That was a lot of help, actually. Made my decision.

Go straight to PP. But, as that's our first day at WDW and my wife loves the welcome show, instead of lining up trying to be the first in the park, position ourselves in the center to see the Welcome Show well, which we've never done as we are always trying to rush in. Then, go straight to PP and I'm sure we will have some wait and see a little of the queue. But, it will be better than waiting on Mickey to come out for 10 minutes. Thanks!

gw_lit

To give an idea of the timing of this when you don't make rope drop. On Tuesday, November 24 (yes, Thanksgiving week) with a 8:00 opening, we didn't make it through the tapstiles until about 7:50 due to a variety of factors (missed ferry, monorail not running and took bus from TTC to MK; as well as teenagers not getting moving in the early morning.) Welcome show was over and the masses were already heading up (down?) Main Street. We had no FP+ for Mine Train since this was a last minute trip.

We got in line, which stretched back almost all the way to Storybook Circus) for Mine Train at exactly 8:00. We exited Mine Train at 8:53. From there we headed over to Frontierland and did Big Thunder Mountain standby (10 minute wait), Splash Mountain standby (10 minute wait), then Pirates standby (15 minute wait - and we didn't get wet, were in back of boat that wasn't packed to the gills), before heading over to use our first FP+ at Jungle Cruise at 10:30 (standby was 25 minutes then, we were on a boat in about 2 minutes at the longest.)

From there we took a little break, got a snack and sauntered across to Tomorrowland to use our next FP+ at Space Mountain (about 15 minute wait in FP+ line, standby was 90 minutes then) and then Buzz (standby was 25 minutes, we were on in as long as it took to walk the FP+ queue).

Longest wait of the day was to get to FP+ kiosk for our 4th and 5th FP+. And the family in front of me was asking a cast member how they could upgrade their tickets so they could get FP+! That was a good reminder that a good deal of the visitors really do no planning.

muskegon78

To give an idea of the timing of this when you don't make rope drop. On Tuesday, November 24 (yes, Thanksgiving week) with a 8:00 opening, we didn't make it through the tapstiles until about 7:50 due to a variety of factors (missed ferry, monorail not running and took bus from TTC to MK; as well as teenagers not getting moving in the early morning.) Welcome show was over and the masses were already heading up (down?) Main Street. We had no FP+ for Mine Train since this was a last minute trip.

We got in line, which stretched back almost all the way to Storybook Circus) for Mine Train at exactly 8:00. We exited Mine Train at 8:53. From there we headed over to Frontierland and did Big Thunder Mountain standby (10 minute wait), Splash Mountain standby (10 minute wait), then Pirates standby (15 minute wait - and we didn't get wet, were in back of boat that wasn't packed to the gills), before heading over to use our first FP+ at Jungle Cruise at 10:30 (standby was 25 minutes then, we were on a boat in about 2 minutes at the longest.)

From there we took a little break, got a snack and sauntered across to Tomorrowland to use our next FP+ at Space Mountain (about 15 minute wait in FP+ line, standby was 90 minutes then) and then Buzz (standby was 25 minutes, we were on in as long as it took to walk the FP+ queue).

Longest wait of the day was to get to FP+ kiosk for our 4th and 5th FP+. And the family in front of me was asking a cast member how they could upgrade their tickets so they could get FP+! That was a good reminder that a good deal of the visitors really do no planning.
My sister was there that day too. I was surprised to hear that Thunder Mountain had the short wait since it sounded like it wasn't running right away after RD

gw_lit

My sister was there that day too. I was surprised to hear that Thunder Mountain had the short wait since it sounded like it wasn't running right away after RD
The wait was 10 minutes when we entered the queue and 25 minutes when we got off the ride.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I actually have some from inside the restaurant =X but I would probably get in even more trouble than when I posted the pictures from inside Trader Sam's when it was still on the lockdown.

I'm not sure it's that exciting from the outside:

MandaM

That was a lot of help, actually. Made my decision.

Go straight to PP. But, as that's our first day at WDW and my wife loves the welcome show, instead of lining up trying to be the first in the park, position ourselves in the center to see the Welcome Show well, which we've never done as we are always trying to rush in. Then, go straight to PP and I'm sure we will have some wait and see a little of the queue. But, it will be better than waiting on Mickey to come out for 10 minutes. Thanks!
We always watch the Welcome Show, and PP is our traditional first ride, so we do this combo at least once per trip. Rather than standing directly in the middle to watch the show, we stand by one of the planters with a tree that's in between the center and the left entrance. It's still a great view, and, if you have little ones, they can sit on the planter while you wait.

When the show is done, you can quickly move to the left entrance, going in from the side so that you don't have to get behind the whole crowd. It always works out well for us -- we've never had to wait at PP. It is just DD15 and me, though, so we do move at a pretty good clip.

DisneyMom

Nice grab; this username is going to be worth more
Thanks Josh! I'm still anxiously waiting for ADRs to open, so at least this gives hope it's still coming.

beachta1

I actually have some from inside the restaurant =X but I would probably get in even more trouble than when I posted the pictures from inside Trader Sam's when it was still on the lockdown.

How about some pictures from River Country?!

JoyW

Josh,

I would be going on Dec 16th, 8am open. Would swapping Mine Train for Mickey at Town square be an "okay" adjustment. Then, I would get to Pan at a similar time to you and probably have a 15 minute wait instead of walk-on. Or maybe I should just forget the damn queue and tour as efficiently as possible and walk on PP first thing..
We were there the week before Thanksgiving and went straight to Tinkerbell at rope drop, then directly to PP from there. We were the first family at Tinkerbell, and then had about a 10-15 minute wait at Peter Pan. I don't know if MM and Tink start meeting at the same time, but we only had to wait a couple of minutes before she was ready for us. My kids (4, 8, 10) enjoyed the new PP queue more than the actual ride, so it may be worth your time at least once.

Micklessor

Great video, Josh, thank you.

When we were there last month we headed to SM at RD via the Main St. bypass. We were the only guests on it and none of the CMs seemed concerned. I don't think this helps if heading to 7DMT at RD, but it was a cool experience for us. (Of course, SM was down when we got there...) Is the bypass usually open for RD or is it just random?