May park hours update...when is the first one expected?

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Never, I hope. I don't want anything messing with my plans!:nono:

jhalpin76

owes it all to duffy
I am (not so) patiently awaiting these updates!!! I think the first one would be on Monday, April 18th. I'm sure Josh will know better...Also, Josh - if you are looking - do you generally post the updates right away? Will your recommendations for Epcot changed from 5/13 - 5/15 with the new Pixar character weekend that's scheduled? Can you give us a run down of what to expect that weekend and how best to plan? Also, how are crowds looking for May?

sorry to hijack your thread...

nicole

guess we'll go to disney world today
Never, I hope. I don't want anything messing with my plans!:nono:
I hear ya,
I cringe at the thought of changes messing with my hours of obsessive planning. :RpS_crying:

I think the only thing I haven't filled into my itinerary is Tinkerbell meet & greet, I've penciled her into AL but nothing has been confirmed for the time after flower & garden.

"TINK, WHERE ARE YOU?" :Cry:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
May shouldn't be as heavily "updated" as March or April - a second Fantasmic on nights that have one, potentially second Main Street Electrical Parades on Mondays and Saturdays, probably some lengthened hours at Magic Kingdom. I'm actually interested to see what they do with Fantasmic because they have it scheduled at 9pm with 9am - 9pm hours. Usually it will be scheduled at 8:30pm and they'll add a second one at 10pm and extend the hours to 10pm. I think you're caught on to the schedule too - it should be either late tomorrow night or Monday. But you just never know with Disney.

May is still looking to have average to below average crowds until Memorial Day when those crowds should shoot up a little bit. The exception being Hollywood Studios for Star Wars Weekends, particularly from May 19th - 22nd. I don't think the Epcot-Pixar thing will have a huge impact on Epcot's crowd level and the addition of the characters should outweigh the slight uptick in the number of people in the Park. Another positive is that the characters will likely pull people away from the attractions a bit, so waits shouldn't go up too much even if more people are there. It's important not to overestimate people's general knowledge. Probably 80% of the people that head into Epcot don't even know the Flower and Garden Festival is going on and that's a three month event. Unless Disney ratchets up the publicity on it I don't think it will affect crowds much.

And yes, I'll post a list of the updates as soon as I have them. If you refresh the calendar and see that the operating hours have changed, send me a private message or email if I don't yet have the updates posted.

Janine

Pixar characters in Epcot, you say???? Why was I not informed?
You mean I'll actually have to look up the information myself? (insert exasperated smile here)

mousehelper

will grab your arm
I'm banking on Monday. After that, things get finalized for May. One can only wait for so long!
MK is the park that has me holding on til Monday. A swtich to 8am openings screws too many things up. Shall we drink to them not doing that??:tea:

Janine

Yeah, I definitely can't have an 8am opening for MK.

Janine

Oh dear. That Pixar character weekend thing looks pretty awesome. We arrive at WL at noon on the 14th. Plan was MK for atmosphere and fillers (then back there at RD Sunday for our 'real' MK day). I really wanted DD5's first experience to be MK, but I may have to waiver on that and go to EP on arrival day. It'll be packed, we'd be getting there at 1ish, wanting to leave at 5ish - but just going around to all the characters and hanging out would be pretty cool. hmmm... am I :crazy:?

Curses to Disney for adding fun stuff.

MichaelColey

Yeah, I definitely can't have an 8am opening for MK.
I know that many people talk about the importance of being there at rope drop, but from our MK days over the past three weeks, I really don't see it as overly essential. We hit rope drop one or twice, but we were 30-60 minutes after rope drop the other days. We still were able to do a ton of stuff and collect a ton of FPs before we headed back for an early afternoon break. So many FPs that we weren't able to use them all.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be pretty surprised to see any 8am openings in May. Just elongated hours on Saturdays and probably around Memorial Day.

When you have the 8am general public openings every day, "rope drop" isn't necessarily essential although it's certainly still the best plan of attack. The Parks don't really start getting noticeably crowded until around 10:30am regardless of opening time and you're also helped by very late closings at the moment as well, so people are more likely to sleep in knowing they can stay as late as they want. Crowds have also been lower than estimates over the last couple of weeks. There was really just that one week in March that was really nuts.

ellie

waiting for a street car
I'm also hoping for no May changes... I'm currently happy with my plans. Extra F! are fine.

mousehelper

will grab your arm
I'd be pretty surprised to see any 8am openings in May.
from your mouth to Disney's ears.

I don't care what they do on the backside. It's the openings that I have my eyes on. I'm not as concerned about Space, or FPs thrillers. Its the non FP, RD rides that concern me. If you want Dumbo/Speedway and you don't want a line, I think you want to be there at opening.
I'm not content with-- it's only a 15 minute standby. Who waits 15 minutes in standby???? :RpS_tongue:

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Who waits 15 minutes in standby???? :RpS_tongue:
Not I!!!

I'd rather wait 45 minutes for rope drop???

Seriously, if I'm not on the first Dumbo (okay, maybe the second) then I'm not doing Dumbo. As long as I can get my baby girl on Dumbo, and/or my baby boy wants to drive a car, we're at MK rope drop.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Quote Originally Posted by mousehelper View Post
Who waits 15 minutes in standby????
Not I!!!

I'd rather wait 45 minutes for rope drop???

Seriously, if I'm not on the first Dumbo (okay, maybe the second) then I'm not doing Dumbo. As long as I can get my baby girl on Dumbo, and/or my baby boy wants to drive a car, we're at MK rope drop.
Here is the way that I see it......you can wait 15 minutes in an attractions line while the other lines are getting longer and end up waiting in 3 or 4 additional 15 minute lines (again.....while more and more people are coming into the park and getting into lines) and use your 45 minutes waiting around then......or.....you can wait for 45 minutes up front, enjoy some breakfast, go over plans for the day, visit with the CMs, tell that poor person behind you who hasn't heard about FPs how to use them, see the morning show......and then not stand in any standby lines that are longer then 5 minutes....usually walk on!!!! Yep.....that works for me!!!! Besides......there is something exhilarating about making RD and dashing to your first ride. It gets your adrenaline pumping and you feed off of the excitement of others......just a great way to start the day!!!!!

mousehelper

will grab your arm
And really-- is it 45 minutes? Last trip, Feb break-- we got to Magic Kingdom a tad late-- we only stood around maybe 5 minutes before they started the opening show. We were inside the turnstiles, there was plenty of room, and we easily walked right up in front of the trees so we could see the shows and then scoot into the tunnel. I think it was an 8am opening... so I'm sure that helped the crowds, but stil. Easy peasy.
AK we get there late as well, and miss the opening show and dash to EE. We get there around 8:55, and walk right thru the RFC entrance. Then, we have DH book it to Everest, while we do Dino.
DS-- yeah-- it's at least 30 minutes at the turnstiles there, then the time at the rope - no way around that!
Epcot-- yeah-- 30 minutes here too. But, I truly think if we could avoid turnstile waits (hate waiting to put my card in the machine to get in), we would get here at 9 as well. Soarin Fast Pass machines are easy to get Fps from at that time (unlike Tsm) and then, we just tour as normal. I might try that next time... Cept I'll have a newbie with me, and I would hate for her to miss the 30 minutes at the turnstiles chatter! It's part of a Disney vacation!
:RpS_rolleyes:

Last edited:

PR1NC355

doesn't know disney is going to remove all the att
I'm definately wanting no morning hours changes. I've planned a lot of before opening breakfasts and if they add EMH to any of those days.... :RpS_ohmy: :RpS_cursing: :RpS_crying: :RpS_confused:

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

jhalpin76

owes it all to duffy
I am stalking this thread for updates. I am hoping for no earlier hours than what's already scheduled. It's hard enough to make RD for 9am. 8am would be impossible.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
8am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mousehelper is going to kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying::RpS_crying: