Mixologist help needed

AmyM

1619562492505.png
My friend bought these and doesn't love them, so she's coming over and expects me to do something amazing with them. What do ya'll think? French 75? That seems too easy, right? Not really knowing what these taste like, I'm a little stumped but have a full bar to experiment with and am sure someone here has an idea worth trying. Cheers!

pixarprincess

I might go like a complete left turn. Not knowing the flavor its hard to say but I might choose to make some sort of fruit infused simple syrup (or just plain and muddled fruit) and then add a shot to them. limon vodka and strawberry syrup and/or muddled might be an interesting choice. Or passion fruit puree and a shot of whiskey might be another good option. Turn them from a wine spritzer into a cocktail. Personally I'd have a few things to play with on hand and just taste and adjust as needed. It also may be helpful to ask why they don't like them. Too sweet? Tart? something else?

Strangeite

You are overthinking it.

I don't know that beverage either, but a quick glance shows its lemon flavored, a spritz and 12 proof. Your friend is already expecting you to concoct something with that flavor profile as the base. Biggest question is if it is sweet or dry. If it is dry, I would add it, vodka and a bit of simple syrup to a shaker, fill it with ice, shake and strain into a martini glass. A couple of splashes of club soda on top and if you want to be fancy a twist of lemon peel. If it is sweet, omit the simple syrup.

Edit: Now I want to watch a Chopped but for cocktails.

Micah008

Staff member
I would be careful shaking it, since sparkling.

I don't have a specific idea, but I would consider making a cocktail that has a flavor that goes well with lemon and/or possibly has some real lemon juice in, and then topping it with this once in the glass. I am thinking something with a color (like blueberry, acai, Aperol, creme de violet, or other darker colored liqueur), put in a tall glass, and then top with this wine spritz could make a cool looking layered cocktail.

Edit: Now I want to watch a Chopped but for cocktails.
I have thought the exact same thing in the past.

Alcachofa

That is sold to be drunk on its own.

If you have to mix it with something, I don't know why you're saying the French 75 is "too easy". It's a classic for a reason. But I'm not sure about using this to make one. It might be OK.

You could also try mixing it with some Aperol. Not sure how well they will go together, so I would definitely try it out before your friend comes over.

Yeah, don't shake this. Shake the other ingredients, then add it at the end. Give it a quick stir if necessary.

What an odd request of your friend!

ThemeParkCommando

"This is horrible! Here, you try!" is actually better than "This is horrible! Here, make something amazing with it!"
Hahahah.. yes,I agree. I did this when I got my first pickle beer. It was nasty. I immediately handed it to my husband and said 'Try this!" with my sour face still scrunching away. He would not. But now, I'm wondering if I should try to dress up the pickle beer, by actually making pickles with it. I'm going to get a cucumber and try it. I'll let y'all know in a week or two how that goes.

pixarprincess

Hahahah.. yes,I agree. I did this when I got my first pickle beer. It was nasty. I immediately handed it to my husband and said 'Try this!" with my sour face still scrunching away. He would not. But now, I'm wondering if I should try to dress up the pickle beer, by actually making pickles with it. I'm going to get a cucumber and try it. I'll let y'all know in a week or two how that goes.
It would be interesting to try and make fermented pickles with. I started dabbling in jar fermenting during lockdown. They will either be epic or super weird. Either way cucumbers are cheap. (I prefer english for pickling as chips :D)

Strangeite

I would be careful shaking it, since sparkling.

Yeah, don't shake this.

I am going to stand by my initial thought of putting it into a shaker, specifically because it is sparkling. I was wanting to isolate the flavor but getting rid of most of the CO2, or as much as you can by agitating it against ice and vodka. Kinda like you do when a cocktail that calls for flat Coke. You are looking for that flavor profile but don't want the bubbles triggering the taste buds on that level. Hence the club soda on top.

Micah008

Staff member
I am going to stand by my initial thought of putting it into a shaker...
I understand your goal to remove the CO2, but I also stand by my "be careful" since I don't want the pressure in the shaker blowing up all over anyway. I have had it happen to me when dry shaking an egg white cocktail, and it makes quite a mess.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I would concur with the good doctor. Chuck it and serve a nice bourbon with one of those ice spheres you can make with the molds from Amazon etc. You can also ask the person how they like it served.

For what it's worth, this is my go to for the ladies: https://inspiredbycharm.com/birthday-cake-martini/ and often the bros once they try it.

It is too strong so you will want to add ice after or reduce the proportions a bit. Don't let them see you add the half and half.

geek1997

My husband uses them for a Michelada. You can buy the mix, or don't if you don't like Bloody Marys. I prefer pickles without carbonation...and sweet...or bread n butter.

ThemeParkCommando

It would be interesting to try and make fermented pickles with. I started dabbling in jar fermenting during lockdown. They will either be epic or super weird. Either way cucumbers are cheap. (I prefer english for pickling as chips :D)
I also started dabbling in jar fermentation during lockdown. I am a vinegar-holic. It's a challenge tying to enjoy my vinegar while trying to keep my tooth enamel from softening up too much.

I've pickled a number of different things. Apple, pineapple, plums, green beans, zucchini, watermelon, and a number of different flavor combo's with cucumber. I wanted to try to re-create the Mezzeta's pickled banana pepper recipe, but can't quite get it right.

Anyway, the pickle beer pickles are in the fridge, I plan to open them next Friday. Who knows, maybe they'll be awesome!

AmyM

Whelp, I guess we're ready for the great cocktail experiment tonight. Stay tuned for the results. Love the way the "birthday cake martini" paraphernalia are really classing things up!

Attachments

• 20210429_200119_2_25.jpg
    20210429_200119_2_25.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 12