MK - faster to park at MK lot or Poly at 7am?

Zsazsa

Hi, we are flying in on a red eye to MCO that arrives at 6am, and planning to head to MK from airport (after picking up luggage, rental car so hopefully will get to Disney around 7am ish with a 8 am opening if all goes well, which I know is a big IF. We are staying at Poly (got last min deal on a DVC reservation someone gave up) so my question is, would it be faster to drive directly to MK and park there (which I’ve never done, do you walk in from the lot or do you still have to get on monorail?) OR do we drive to Poly and walk To TTC? I’m anxious we’ll miss the chance for any ’early touring’ by being late so I’d like to at least figure out the parking logistics. It’s me, DH and 11, 9 and 6 year old in tow.

thanks for any advice, I know transportation in all forms is slower now and monorail still isn’t running to Poly.

Z

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Parking at MK involves a tram ride to the monorail or ferry. Given that you’ll have already been traveling for a long time even before you start your park day, I’d definitely choose to park at Poly and walk to TTC. You’re staying DVC, so you’ll have a very short walk, as the DVC lot is the beginning/end point of the TTC walking path.

Anne

The poly DVC lot is a shorter walk to the monorail/ferry at TTC than parking in the TTC parking lot (to clarify the TTC lot is the MK parking lot so yes, you always have to take a monorail or ferry when you park at MK, there is no option to park at MK and walk in) so it's a win/win to go straight to your hotel to park. You could also walk the path from poly to GF and take the monorail from GF but that is a longer walk than to TTC, esp from the DVC rooms. It would be fewer people at GF, but there's also less staffing so I don't know that it would be any faster to get through security and onto a monorail at GF vs TTC. Once on the monorail it's less than 5 minutes to MK from GF because it's the next stop. If you enjoy walking you can also walk the new path from GF to MK and not have to worry about unexpected back ups or down time (which is what I would do) but it's a pretty long walk with a 6 year old after an early flight so probably not the first choice for the majority of people.

Zsazsa

ok, this is really helpful! I saw from Josh’s series on the new GF walkway that it’s about 20-30 min walk from GF. How much longer would it be from Poly DVCs? i will have a stroller so 6 yo can ride in that but not sure if the length of the walk would save us any time, though I like the idea of not being dependent on transportation lines.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
ok, this is really helpful! I saw from Josh’s series on the new GF walkway that it’s about 20-30 min walk from GF. How much longer would it be from Poly DVCs? i will have a stroller so 6 yo can ride in that but not sure if the length of the walk would save us any time, though I like the idea of not being dependent on transportation lines.
It’s 387 feet to TTC from the DVC lot at Poly. Three minutes.

1620225156766.jpeg

Anne

It's about 10 minutes from Poly to the GF path. It is unlikely to save time unless there is a big back up at TTC or downtime. It's more of a hedge against a catastrophic back up at TTC where you then miss rope drop. 9 times out of 10 the person who walks to TTC and takes the monorail or ferry is going to beat the person walking from Poly to MK. I like walking and having control, but it's definitely not going to win a race the majority of mornings.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, if you stop and take pictures every five steps on that pathway you might be looking at 20 or 30 minutes. But it's closer to ten if you're moving with any sort of vigor. But it's also a haul to get there from the Poly and a bit confusing.

How it goes will depend entirely on when you arrive. With an 8am open, you're looking at bag check and the monorail opening between 7:15am and 7:30am and you'd beat anybody driving in and parking if you can beat that timeframe. If you arrive at the TTC later, then a lot of people will be in front of you and there isn't a ton you can do about it.

You might look at a park that's opening later instead of feeling pressure to watch the clock. Depending on your ticket type, you could move to MK later but you'll likely be pretty tired by that point.