My experience with early entry, genie+ and individual lightning lanes at HS

Abbyar

Staying at CBR this week in Aruba. Yes the skyliner is great, but from Aruba one takes a connecting liner to the Hollywood Studios liner, and one must wait in line twice. Awful setup. Awful.

Anne

Are you staying deluxe? My kids like late nights but I couldn’t justify the extra expense.
Yes, we'll be at the Yacht Club. So at least we can walk to 2 parks and have a larger pool area. It is absurdly priced even with 25% AP discount compared to DVC, which is usually where we stay. Since this was "last minute" by Disney standards (and we wanted more cancellation flexibility than 30 days in advance) DVC wasn't an option.

Anne

Staying at CBR this week in Aruba. Yes the skyliner is great, but from Aruba one takes a connecting liner to the Hollywood Studios liner, and one must wait in line twice. Awful setup. Awful.
I suppose having a continuous line from each location was redundant and too expensive so they chose a hub and spoke configuration. But then you have multiple spokes converging on the hub so there is no way to immediately get off one line and onto the other without getting out and into a new queue. It would have been nice if they had set it up with an "express line" between HS and Epcot.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I suppose having a continuous line from each location was redundant and too expensive so they chose a hub and spoke configuration. But then you have multiple spokes converging on the hub so there is no way to immediately get off one line and onto the other without getting out and into a new queue. It would have been nice if they had set it up with an "express line" between HS and Epcot.
There was a presentation at D23 last week about the various (I think it was close to 20) configurations they considered for skyliner routes.

Micah008

Staff member
When we stayed at Riviera (right next to Aruba) we walked over to the main CBR Skyliner hub when going to HS, and used the Riviera/Aruba hub when going to Epcot. It was the best of both worlds, since we could optimize the station we used depending on the park we were heading to. The walk really isn't far from Aruba, and worth not getting stuck in a second line.

Abbyar

I suppose having a continuous line from each location was redundant and too expensive so they chose a hub and spoke configuration.
I wouldn’t mind if they had a roped area to walk us to the HS line — there are two (a left and right). It would be be very easy and prevent those coming from the spoke from having to wait in line twice.

Abbyar

Yes, we'll be at the Yacht Club. So at least we can walk to 2 parks and have a larger pool area. It is absurdly priced even with 25% AP discount compared to DVC, which is usually where we stay. Since this was "last minute" by Disney standards (and we wanted more cancellation flexibility than 30 days in advance) DVC wasn't an option.
Oooh I really wanted to do yacht or beach. There was nothing available when we booked, and when I considered upgrading I couldn’t justify the expense. We have to get two rooms at this point and minimum 5 beds. They don’t want to/ are too big to share anymore. And frankly, at $10K+ for a trip, I don’t blame them. So we did a CBR 5-sleeper. 6 beds, 2 bathrooms. Everyone sleeps well and is happy.

Abbyar

Update on Hollywood Studios today (which I warned my family would be even busier than Monday):
Grabbed a Smuggler’s Run LL at 7:02 for 8:10 - 9 pm (?!).
Freaked out because nothing was available for Rise of the Resistence at 7,7:03,7:04…and every minute I refreshed. Things popped up for 4:30 and 6:45, but when I clicked into them they disappeared. Then finally at 7:13 everything opened up and I grabbed 6 for 11:10-12:10. I guess the system overloaded at 7 so many people were trying to grab it.

Abbyar

More news: Slinky Dog was closed at park opening, and finally reopened with a post 100 minute wait…. Which frankly looked a lot longer. Toy story up to 80 minutes, we jumped in Mickey & Minnie as it reopened when it was a 30 minute wait, and that’s now posted as 95. Got into line for Smugglers at open, it’s now 120.

I have one LL for Smugglers at 8:10 and we may not get another. This is insane. Christmas crowd level insane.

DopeyRunr

This is insane. Christmas crowd level insane.
It sounds like the crowds are pretty much as expected, no? I thought it was generally agreed that thanksgiving week is about the same level of insanity as Christmas week. Except this year, the parks are missing a significant number of live shows, entertainment, and dining capacity that occupy guests.

Abbyar

It sounds like the crowds are pretty much as expected, no? I thought it was generally agreed that thanksgiving week is about the same level of insanity as Christmas week. Except this year, the parks are missing a significant number of live shows, entertainment, and dining capacity that occupy guests.
Yep.

DopeyRunr

This Genie+ rollout, the annual pass unavailability, the understaffing across the property, and the still-offline entertainment have led us to rent out our 2022 DVC points and skip the long weekend trip we were planning. Maybe things will be better with WDW operations heading into 2023.