My July plans

Becky2011

cloning herself so she can be at jedi training aca
Rough draft because with 15 people something is bound to change!!!!

Third week of July

Sunday -- arrival, who knows when because we are driving. We are staying at the cabins so I'm thinking a cook-out will be good for dinner.

Monday -- Magic Kingdom, Crystal Palace lunch for all 15 of us!!!!!!!!

Tuesday -- Animal Kingdom, Donald's breakfast just for our group of 6.

Wednesday -- EPCOT, Breakfast with the Princesses (just us 6) but at 10:30 because we have a late night here. We have a private Illuminations dessert party booked because it's my nephew's birthday. All 15 of us will be at the dessert party.

Thursday -- Hollywood Studios -- DD wants to try out for American Idol Experience so everything hinges on that but then my son also wants to do Jedi Training...EEK...not sure how that will work out. We do have lunch planned for 50's Primetime, just 5 of us.

Friday -- Possibly VIP tour? It will probably just be me & my 4 kids because Grandma will go relax with my sister and neice/nephew as my brother will have already left to go home by this time.

We are still working out logistics on who wants to ride what and how long we are all going to stay as a group. The theory is that we are all going to go to the same parks together but we don't have to stay as a group...we can split up.

I know there are no breaks in there but I doubt we are going to stay from open to close on most of the days...I just don't really have it pre-planned.

Lisa

Craig's Photography Understudy
You're a brave woman for planning for that many people! :hail: Seriously, though, the itinerary looks good. Have fun!

Becky2011

Thanks...the worst part is most of these are clueless people just because they haven't been there in forever.

I'm not even sure EPCOT and Hollywood studios was built yet. I *know* the last time my mom went was when there was only Magic Kingdom back in the 70's. I think my niece was 5 when they went last time and she is now 24 or 25 & married.

Fast Passes are a new concept for them. My mom was already talking about how we are going to have to wait in long lines, etc... for the rides and these are "for the kids" anyway. She has no clue about Fast Passes and yes, we may have to wait in some short lines but if we organize it right....we won't be standing in real long lines.

My brother's family, they went not too long ago but they didn't quite catch the Disney magic, so they are going but don't get why I think it's so great. We shall see how it goes with them, they do tend to be late a lot and they are off-site, so who knows what time they will actually show up each day. Cell phones are a wonderful invention!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to say that I would definitely switch the Studios/Epcot days around because of how much busier Thursday will be at the Studios with Fantasmic, but it looks like you're somewhat locked into your plans with the dining reservations and the cruise.

Becky2011

I was going to say that I would definitely switch the Studios/Epcot days around because of how much busier Thursday will be at the Studios with Fantasmic, but it looks like you're somewhat locked into your plans with the dining reservations and the cruise.
We are definitely locked into Wed. since we are having a private Illuminations dessert party (it's not a cruise, it's an actual dessert party that we have a special menu for, roped off viewing area for our group -- we have a signed contract so that is not going anywhere) and it's my nephew's birthday that day. He is the one that wanted to spend that day in EPCOT.

I'm thinking we will probably do the breakfast and play by ear for what we are doing, I know DD really wants to do Kim Possible so we will probably do one of those. I'm thinking we may have to leave and do a rest break at some point since it will be a long day...we will see. There isn't a TON of must do's at EPCOT, so it can be slow paced.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Epcot won't be a problem, I was more concerned about the Studios on Thursday, but I see that there's a Fantasmic on Friday too, which will help lower Thursday's crowds a bit. Everything else looks fine, but it's going to be difficult to do Toy Story Mania and American Idol Tryouts and participate in Jedi Training all on a Fantasmic day. You might be able to send someone in your group (since it will be so big anyway) to Toy Story Mania for FASTPASSes and then split the kids up and send one to Jedi and one to Idol.

Becky2011

but it's going to be difficult to do Toy Story Mania and American Idol Tryouts and participate in Jedi Training all on a Fantasmic day. You might be able to send someone in your group (since it will be so big anyway) to Toy Story Mania for FASTPASSes and then split the kids up and send one to Jedi and one to Idol.
I agree! This is where my 10 year kid age gap can get a little :frusty:

I've heard sometimes they will do the idol try-outs before park opening though while people are in line. IF DD makes it, that's going to change anything & everything since I would have to stay with her through everything backstage AND you have to be there I think I read an hour before the showtime. THEN if she actually goes to the final show -- ACK!!! That will really mess up our plans. :RpS_lol:

I might send Grandma off with my youngest to go try for the Jedi training. She couldn't care less if she rides any rides. Of course, I would want to see that though if he gets in...I need a clone.

Studios is the one park making my life difficult...mostly because of the "we can't really plan A until we know B and then we have to find out C" and none of it happens until we are physically standing in the park.

mousehelper

will grab your arm
It's tough to comment too much with out a feW more details...
I see you are goin to Magic Kingdom and having lunch. But, when are you leaving? Are you staying all day? Taking a break and returning? Without knowing when you are heading home, it is tough to know if the pace is healthy, ya know? It is July, it is hotter than heck. I wouldn't want to be anywhere but a pool or Ac after 1.
Tue-- same here. Animal Kingdom is incredibly hot. You will be a puddle by 1. I'd be gone. But-- what time is that breakfast? 8am or 10:30 work well. Anything else has you sitting in a restaurant when the park is fairly quiet.
Wed- So, this is a late arrival and then staying all day??? Ouch! How bout this-- get there at RD. Why not-- you weren't out late last night. You can do Soarin and get a couple of Fps and do Crush and NEmo before brunch. LEave by 2. Come back in the evening around 5. Use your FP, enjoy some WS, and then Illum.
Thu-- you realize that TSM requires you be at the park by 8:15 -30, right? AI sometimes comes to the front gates and recruits folks. Jedi also requires a RD these days if you want to participate. So, send the parent and child(ren) to JEdi to sign up while the others go to FP and ride TSM.
Fri- Wel, I'm not sure what VIP tour you speak of, so I'm no help here.

And now I read your last line about breaks. : ) Really-- we plan breaks. I think the way to be successful from 5 - 9 is to plan to be successful from 5 - 9. And if you don't plan breaks, well, 5 - 9 can end up not being very pleasant.

Becky2011

*sigh* I had a big long post all done, hit post reply (or I think I did) and it went poof. Let me try again.

It's tough to comment too much with out a feW more details...
I see you are goin to Magic Kingdom and having lunch. But, when are you leaving? Are you staying all day? Taking a break and returning? Without knowing when you are heading home, it is tough to know if the pace is healthy, ya know? It is July, it is hotter than heck. I wouldn't want to be anywhere but a pool or Ac after 1.
Details are difficult especially with 15 people. Here is who all is going as that might help some:
Mom; Myself; DD (17); DS (14); DS (11); DS (7)
Sister, her ex, Nephew (28 on the trip I think?), Niece (in her 20's) & Niece's DH
Brother, SIL, Niece (15) & Nephew (12 or 13 - I forget).

We went in July 2005 about the same timeframe and I didn't think it was *that* bad. Maybe I'm just weird.

I have no idea when we are leaving as it will probably be we will see how we are feeling. I know we won't close down the parks. I know my sister wants to see the afternoon parade, so I'm thinking we will probably stay through that. It's possible we will come back later but ?

Tue-- same here. Animal Kingdom is incredibly hot. You will be a puddle by 1. I'd be gone. But-- what time is that breakfast? 8am or 10:30 work well. Anything else has you sitting in a restaurant when the park is fairly quiet.
Breakfast is around 8 AM. About the only thing I know that we are doing in this park is Lion King show and that we are definitely NOT doing is "It's Tough to be a Bug" (at least my family). I think this may be the more split up park than anything else. It's just a matter of who goes where and I'm still waiting to hear what people's top choices are.

Wed- So, this is a late arrival and then staying all day??? Ouch! How bout this-- get there at RD. Why not-- you weren't out late last night. You can do Soarin and get a couple of Fps and do Crush and NEmo before brunch. LEave by 2. Come back in the evening around 5. Use your FP, enjoy some WS, and then Illum.
It's not super late arrival but we will see how people get awake. If they can get up for RD, then we can deal with it but if they don't then it's OK too. I doubt we are going to be there all day...it's a big park and there isn't a ton of things we want to do there.

Thu-- you realize that TSM requires you be at the park by 8:15 -30, right? AI sometimes comes to the front gates and recruits folks. Jedi also requires a RD these days if you want to participate. So, send the parent and child(ren) to JEdi to sign up while the others go to FP and ride TSM.
Yes and this is the park that is giving me the most headaches!!! I'm hoping once Star Tours opens that will thin out things a bit, although I'm sure still crazy. I have a feeling this park will have to do things the next day at it instead of even attempting to get it all done.

Fri- Wel, I'm not sure what VIP tour you speak of, so I'm no help here.
VIP tours are where you pay for a private tour guide that is a cast member that deals with all of this for you! :RpS_biggrin: It's not cheap and if you get the Premium you basically get private transportation so you can park hop quickly (as they can take you in backdoor ways) and unlimited FP on rides that have FP. It's a 6 hour minimum and runs from $175 - $315/hour. Basically a one time big splurge (unless you are Bill Gates or something).

Last time what we ended up doing with breaks, is they weren't really planned but we just ended up taking them when we felt it was needed. That is probably what we will do this time around too. It was a little easier as we were at the Contemporary and we didn't have other families to deal with.

mousehelper

will grab your arm
Oh-- I know what a VIP tour is. I just wasn't sure whose service you were using.
YOu know-- if you have a good tour plan, you can do the same stuff they can, right?

Becky2011

Oh-- I know what a VIP tour is. I just wasn't sure whose service you were using.
YOu know-- if you have a good tour plan, you can do the same stuff they can, right?
Yes but I can't get reserved front row seatings at shows and other possible pixie dust. :) It's more or less a big splurge just because I can and it doesn't help that I read a fantastic trip report about it years ago (plus a few other tidbits here and there) and that made me very envious. Ever since reading the report, I have always been plotting how to take one and since who knows the next time we will go (DH would think the answer would be never, he's not even coming on this trip), so this is pretty much my only chance.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The VIP tour would take care of Toy Story Mania, Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Star Tours in like 60-90 minutes I would imagine - with multiple rides on each too. You could focus on the stage shows/longer attractions like Backlot Tour and Great Movie Ride on that Thursday and save the shorter headlining attractions for VIP tour day. $300/hour would be a pretty penny to spend on Indiana Jones or something. The opportunity cost of the tour seems high to me, considering you could spend that money and add an additional 4+ nights for the same price, but if that isn't in the cards and it isn't what you want than by all means. I'm jealous. It sounds like you have plenty of "experiences" planned and you might find more happiness enjoying what you are able to get to and enjoy with family rather than basing success on the number of attractions you're able to check off a list. If your kids remember Jedi Training and American Idol Experience for the rest of their lives then you've "done your job." They're more likely to be talking about that in a couple of years than how much they loved one of the stage shows or the Backlot Tour.

Becky2011

They're more likely to be talking about that in a couple of years than how much they loved one of the stage shows or the Backlot Tour.
Ahhh...except I have a theatre kid (the same one who wants to try out for AI)....frankly as long as she gets to see Beauty and the Beast she will be happy. Hee Hee!!! This child is obsessed with it...Honestly, I think she could go to Disney World not ride a single ride but if she saw all the shows (other THAN Indiana Jones, she has specifically told me she is NOT seeing that one as the movie gave her nightmares), she would be thrilled. Which is why DHS is the hardest park for us, because it also has Little Mermaid (doesn't it? I might be confused).

Jedi Training for sure for the little guy....I do have to find out if my younger nephew might be interested also but I'm thinking only my kid is obsessed with Star Wars (might be because his name is Luke?!? Hmmm....) but is there an age limit? I know they changed things around (I don't even think they HAD this in 2005 - or if they did, I certainly missed it!).

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Well you have until July to get these kids on the same page LOL

Once you figure out what people want to do, I would imagine you'll be able to rent the kids out to whatever family member is following a plan that will make that particular child happy. It sounds like you are in a position to "influence" the family anyway so you might be able to convince them that they want to see Beauty and the Beast 3x times.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
Is departure day Saturday (not late Friday)

Is everyone (all 15) doing the VIP tour on Friday?

What do you hope do on the VIP tour? Specific rides? Different parks (best of highlights) or all in one park?

Becky2011

Once you figure out what people want to do, I would imagine you'll be able to rent the kids out to whatever family member is following a plan that will make that particular child happy. It sounds like you are in a position to "influence" the family anyway so you might be able to convince them that they want to see Beauty and the Beast 3x times.
That's the plan!!!! That's why it's a bit wishy washy as I'm trying to find out who is wanting to do what and we can basically pair them up. For example, my sister said she would ride Dinosaur if she found someone to ride it with her. I know my DD won't ride that but somehow my 11 year old says he wants to ride it (I think he will have nightmares), I could live without riding it too...so those 2 can go do that. I know my mom doesn't want to ride it, yet my older Niece said she doesn't really want to do the Safari so we can get her in a group that wants to do XYZ instead.

Is departure day Saturday (not late Friday)

Is everyone (all 15) doing the VIP tour on Friday?

What do you hope do on the VIP tour? Specific rides? Different parks (best of highlights) or all in one park?
We are leaving Saturday morning. It would just be my little group doing the VIP (which is still tentative right now). My sister's group has military tickets so only has 4 days & my brother's family is actually leaving on Friday morning to go back home. I think we are thinking of hitting highlights of the kids favorites, hence why I want to go with the Premium so we have the Park Hopping option. If you go with the basic, it's 6 hours in one park.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
Can you go to AI auditions first (do they do them right away or do they give you a return time for first audition? The website still says you get a ticket for an audition time) with your daughter while everyone else starts their touring plan? Can you save Jedi for a time when you are not at AI? It's just the sign-up that has to be done at RD, right? The actual show would be scheduled later in the day, correct? That way you can be with your daughter when you need and not miss out on Jedi training if the timing works out.

Since you will be back for rides on Friday with the VIP tour, use this day to concentrate on AI, Jedi and shows. You can still link up with the rest of the group for lunch and to go on some rides as well, but you know you will always be back for them in case it doesn't work out. have them get you FP's while they are out if you get stuck at AI too long.