My Maleficent Bleach Shirt

jenninaustin

so I'm officially not doing anymore work today. I'm too busy scouring the internet for line drawings of Tigger, Pooh, Zazu, Malificent as a Dragon, Eeyore etc etc etc
Work???? What is this "work" thing of which you speak? (looking furtively around the corner and praying that no one is checking my internet browsing history....)

I expected the shirt where bleach was sprayed to turn brown but why is the inside of the shirt even brown? and how did you get it so stinkin' even lol
Ok - I'm slow (no surprise there) but I'm not sure what inside you mean. I don't think I've looked on the inside. :RpS_blink: Told you I'm slow. I put a cookie tray between the front and back so the bleach wouldn't go all the way through. I bet the inside is brown though...now I'm going to check as soon as I get home. If it is - I guess it's b/c bleach water goes all the way through. Seriously Tiggergirl, I owe you a margarita so come on down to Austin b/c I'm no help am I????

:clap2:

Wow, Maleficent turned out AMAZING!! I am totally doing these for my fam for our trip. Thanks so much for posting these and for posting the directions!
Sure!

I really wanted to do matching shirts for our cruise in November. We are travelling with 2 other families so I thought it would be cool for the first day. Tie-dye got shot down, but this might have a chance. Especially if everyone got to pick their favorite character and color.
Exactly! And doing it yourself is kind of fun - not sure if you saw my family's Mickey ones but they were all different. My husband's was PERFECT and the rest of ours were varying degrees of less perfect.

Oh - and Tiggergirl asked how I got the lines so perfect? I CHANNELED MY HUSBAND. (Patiently sprayed with a very light mist without getting too close to the shirt)

this was shot down in my group too BUT now that we're going to MNSSHP we're doing them with Mickey Heads as in the post with the directions - and then my friend is going to sew bows on them and we're going to be....wait for it....The Three Minnie Mouse-Kateers :)
Gaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! I want to be your travel buddy!!! You must post pics, girl.

jenninaustin

Duh....

I always, always, always forget some questions. For one thing - thanks to all of you for the sweet notes! And if you make the shirts please show me! (I'm all inspired to do other characters now too.....)

:RpS_tongue:

Tiggergirl - don't worry if they are line drawings. Regular ones will work - I promise - because you're just going to cut around it anyway. :)

I saved the image I found on my imgur - here's a direct link to it - http://i.imgur.com/4S3pN6P.jpg

and here it is posted into my message if that doesn't work. Just grab it and blow it up. Doesn't matter if it's blurry b/c you're going to be just cutting around the edge anyway.

TiggerGirl

Ok - I'm slow (no surprise there) but I'm not sure what inside you mean. I don't think I've looked on the inside. :RpS_blink: Told you I'm slow. I put a cookie tray between the front and back so the bleach wouldn't go all the way through. I bet the inside is brown though...now I'm going to check as soon as I get home. If it is - I guess it's b/c bleach water goes all the way through. Seriously Tiggergirl, I owe you a margarita so come on down to Austin b/c I'm no help am I????

Gaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! I want to be your travel buddy!!! You must post pics, girl.
Well I can't see the shirt in person (unfortunately) so just from the pictures you posted - the final result appears to be brown where the OP lable on the shirt is. May just be my monitor or my eyes lol but the original shirt is black black black the next picture is sorta purplely grey and the last one is brown...seemingly all the way through.

I think we would have SO much fun as travel buddies! I said that when I read your TR :) At the very least we'd have the coolest shirts and outfits in all the land.

Tiggergirl - don't worry if they are line drawings. Regular ones will work - I promise - because you're just going to cut around it anyway. :)

I saved the image I found on my imgur - here's a direct link to it - http://i.imgur.com/4S3pN6P.jpg

and here it is posted into my message if that doesn't work. Just grab it and blow it up. Doesn't matter if it's blurry b/c you're going to be just cutting around the edge anyway.
oh okay cool - I was just thinking line drawings would give me an indication of it would look good as a silouette. But I really know nothing about this whole process lol

quince

Try googling for "[character of choice] silhouette" at images.google.com. You should find lots of options template-ready.

Mary Poppins would be a fun one to do!

jenninaustin

Try googling for "[character of choice] silhouette" at images.google.com. You should find lots of options template-ready.

Mary Poppins would be a fun one to do!

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Mary Poppins is brilliant! Ok, people, I now have a goal of creating a huge set of Disney silhouette shirts.

TINKERBALL

What kind of contact paper are you using? I can't get my mickey head to come out. It is all faded, so I guess it is going under the paper before it is dry. Are you setting it upright when you spray it or laying it down? Thanks

Momof6

I just had a fantastic vision of one with Peter Pan's silhouette flying over the nighttime skyline of London.

Meeko

@TiggerGirl so, I was thinking of a cool shirt for you. Take a Tigger orange shirt, and do the bleach tigger in the middle and then add some black stripes across the back and around the sides just a little so you look kind of like tigger. that could be really cute!

Last edited:

Goofballs

If only there was a josh silhouette...

In all seriousness, awesome shirts and thank you for sharing the directions. We are going to try wizard hats for HP themed shirts.

TiggerGirl

@TiggerGirl so, I was thinking of a cool shirt for you. Take a Tigger orange shirt, and do the bleach tigger in the middle and then add some black stripes across the back and around the sides just a little so you look kind of like tigger. that could be really cute!
my new friend Jenn made me a Tigger shirt in this style! It came out amazing and I can't wait to get it :) :) :)

Hopefully she'll be in soon to address the contact paper question above - I haven't tried it yet but planned to this weekend and buying my needed supplies :)

jenninaustin

I'm back, I'm back! (Sorry....) :RpS_blushing: TiggerGirl - I am going to the Post Office in 10 minutes to put your shirt in the mail!

What kind of contact paper are you using? I can't get my mickey head to come out. It is all faded, so I guess it is going under the paper before it is dry. Are you setting it upright when you spray it or laying it down? Thanks
Hmmm. Well - my son sort of went crazy with his bleach water so it seeped under his Mickey Head and that created an "interesting" shaped Mickey. Pretty funny - my husband (a computer programmer who does everything PERFECTLY) had a perfect Mickey head! To answer your questions:
- it could very well be that you just need to have a finer mist go down onto your shirt or maybe even let the mist fly down from a little higher up (if that makes sense)
- I kept mine flat on a cookie tray outside (I put the cookie tray between the front and back of the shirt). I think if you set it up it might cause the problem of having drips come off the contact paper and doing extra bleach-y stripes down the bottom of the shirt. Maybe. But if the mist was fine enough maybe that could be avoided.
- I used the official Con-Tact brand of sticky paper that I found at Target. Here's the link to it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Brand-Self-Adhesive-Shelf-Liner/dp/B00D8GBO2G

I just pinned this thread. I can't wait to make a bleach shirt!!! Now to decide on a character... Or characterS... :)
Yea! So glad you want to do some too - can't wait to see them!

I just had a fantastic vision of one with Peter Pan's silhouette flying over the nighttime skyline of London.
Um. GOOSEBUMPS. Seriously. I just bought a navy shirt and I'm planning to do Mary Poppins on it but the idea of an intricate Peter Pan is now on my artistic goals list!

Here's the shirt I did for TiggerGirl! The problem is that the bleach square is just a little bit crooked but I think it's still cute!

If only there was a josh silhouette...

In all seriousness, awesome shirts and thank you for sharing the directions. We are going to try wizard hats for HP themed shirts.
I hadn't even THOUGHT of that and I'm desperately trying to figure out how we can all get to Universal in the next few years (we've never been) - HP bleach shirts are brilliant! Ooooooo...we could even do them in the appropriate house colors for each person! I am ALL OVER THIS....

jenninaustin

For Doctor Who fans, I saw some awesome bleach shirts with the Tardis on them on Pinterest.

Here is a link to my favorite: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/35747390765084607/
ooooo....I really like how it's off center. Hey, TiggerGirl, let's pretend like I made yours off center on purpose - ok?

Seriously - I can imagine some really fun ways to do WDW and HP stuff on a smaller scale off center...maybe even one thing on front and another on the back....

Why do I have to go to work and make REAL money??? I'd much rather make bleach shirts all day!!!!

TiggerGirl

Jenn - I LOVE it and crooked just means Tigger's bouncing :)

CONFESSION: I went to Etsy pretty much immediately last time this topic came up and I only found ONE store that did anything like this and I wasn't all that impressed to be honest and she had a TON of reviews/sales!

I would consider opening a shop (that's the confession part of my last statement - lol that's why I went to Etsy) but I haven't even tried this yet AND out of complete respect for Jenn I would NEVER open a shop in competition if she was going to do that - this was all introduced to us by her! But if you need a buddy or a reference you know where to come :)

We are going to do this for our upcoming surprise trip...wait, did I already tell you all that? We went to Wal-Mart and bought $3 shirts. It'll make packing this much easier.

Edited to add that I already said I was going to do this. Maybe I'm just THAT excited to be able to do something.

Last edited:

jenninaustin

Jenn - I LOVE it and crooked just means Tigger's bouncing :)

CONFESSION: I went to Etsy pretty much immediately last time this topic came up and I only found ONE store that did anything like this and I wasn't all that impressed to be honest and she had a TON of reviews/sales!

I would consider opening a shop (that's the confession part of my last statement - lol that's why I went to Etsy) but I haven't even tried this yet AND out of complete respect for Jenn I would NEVER open a shop in competition if she was going to do that - this was all introduced to us by her! But if you need a buddy or a reference you know where to come :)
We are going to do this for our upcoming surprise trip...wait, did I already tell you all that? We went to Wal-Mart and bought $3 shirts. It'll make packing this much easier.

Edited to add that I already said I was going to do this. Maybe I'm just THAT excited to be able to do something.
Yea!!! Did you know that you guys are quickly becoming the most supportive people in my LIFE?? (And I actually have a very supportive immediate and extended family. So that's saying something!) Ok...off to Etsy....time to learn!