New Magic Band choices (discounted) for onsite stays

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I wish they would post a date for when this goes live. I have an early July trip and I'd love to get something new and different.

mgarbowski

I wish they would post a date for when this goes live. I have an early July trip and I'd love to get something new and different.
Well, a comment on the linked article says they heard from someone who called and was told by a CM that it goes live May 15. And if that's not take-it-to-the-bank-solid then what can we trust in this world?
But it's all we got.

DopeyRunr

Well, a comment on the linked article says they heard from someone who called and was told by a CM that it goes live May 15. And if that's not take-it-to-the-bank-solid then what can we trust in this world?
But it's all we got.
My Authoritative WDW Information Source (tm) rankings:
1) WDW bus driver
2) Phone CM
3) My barber who hasn't been to WDW since 1975
4) WDW Magic forums
5) Jim Hill

HeyHeather

I'd think WDW wouldn't release that kind of news too far in advance from the anticipated start date to limit the number people upset that their trip falls within the gap. Let me call my bus driver tho :D They'll know!

mgarbowski

Heather I agree it will probably be soon and the May 15 date makes sense to me for that reason, but who knows. A newer comment claims that the option will only be for people who make reservations after the date, whatever it is, which seems ridiculous.

CJG17

Either way our customizing window closes may 13th so I am bummed that we will JUST miss this option.
If I were you, I would wait until after the 15th and customize. That video says you can do it 11 days before your trip. So maybe they are changing the deadline as part of this change. Worst case scenario you use old magic bands (if you have them) or get free gray ones at check in (if you don’t). So me personally, I’m gonna wait to customize and risk it.

pixarprincess

If I were you, I would wait until after the 15th and customize. That video says you can do it 11 days before your trip. So maybe they are changing the deadline as part of this change. Worst case scenario you use old magic bands (if you have them) or get free gray ones at check in (if you don’t). So me personally, I’m gonna wait to customize and risk it.
I had already done it before they announced the change. I do it pretty much immediately otherwise I inevitably end up forgetting to do it.

mgarbowski

May 15th, no change. :(
Comments on the original Disney Parks blog post now have official responses indicating that the going live date has been pushed back with no new date, and that anyone who still is within the time to personalize will be eligible.

DopeyRunr

Comments on the original Disney Parks blog post now have official responses indicating that the going live date has been pushed back with no new date, and that anyone who still is within the time to personalize will be eligible.
so if you only have a couple days left to personalize, you can still get the new options? That seems like it must be rolling out tomorrow then?

mgarbowski

so if you only have a couple days left to personalize, you can still get the new options? That seems like it must be rolling out tomorrow then?
Sorry I worded that poorly. I meant anyone who still is within the time to personalize when it goes live​ will be eligible. I did get the sense it would be soon, but not necessarily the next day or so.

DopeyRunr

I just read through the comments and I’m pleased to learn that when it goes live people who are eligible will be eligible.

WHY did they pre-announce this without a launch date? WHY pre-announce at all. It’s just going to get people who are paying close attention to wait until the very last minute to customize, and then get frustrated when the new system hasn’t launched.

pixarprincess

agreed, I was hoping to take advantage but likely wont happen this trip. It would have been nice had they included a date. O well not the end of the world.

DopeyRunr

Yeah at the end of the day it’s just a $10 discount on something I wouldn’t have bought anyway, so I guess it’s good that the program is delayed? ��

pixarprincess

pretty much where I am at... I'd do it if it was an option but seriously dont need it. so I guess thanks Disney for saving me the $$ by delaying?:RpS_lol:

BSS

I wonder how they will handle the solid colors (like Lavender and Turquoise) that have never been offered for free, but are priced on the website the same as the other solid colors that are free with a hotel stay.

pixarprincess

I wonder how they will handle the solid colors (like Lavender and Turquoise) that have never been offered for free, but are priced on the website the same as the other solid colors that are free with a hotel stay.
it sounds like you are just getting a credit/discount toward the purchase, but it also insinuated limited selection so... my guess would be either they will be free or they wont be part of the offering. If I had to wager probably the latter, as for disney this is just a way to get more of our $$

DopeyRunr

as for disney this is just a way to get more of our $$
It's a pretty smart marketing strategy. If you get a free magic band, you're less likely to spend $25 on a custom one. So you've got this whole segment of your customer base disinclined to purchase a product which they use more than any other customer segment. And Disney's cost to manufacture the "free" Magic Band and the Magic Bands with designs is practically the same. So instead of giving you a Magic Band for free, they're selling it to you for $10 or $15. And like an idiot, I'm disappointed that this program isn't rolling out fast enough. It's a pretty smart marketing strategy.