New MK Ticketed Event according to WDW News Today

R&RMom

I have the same problem. Same dates as you. I am seriously thinking about trying to swap AK and MK days for that week and do MK on Sunday and AK on Thursday. IF I can swap my Fastpasses around. Geesh!
I don't think I'll change anything. I have my FP+s set. And we are coming in the afternoon on 5/5, will do a few FP+, having dinner at the Plaza and then staying for nighttime entertainment. Will probably intersperse Peoplemover, and other "anytime attractions". It is our 2nd MK day, so we will just try and get more done on our 1st day (5/1). We also have a few hours on 5/7 before we catch our flight. I'm still trying to figure out AK since they haven't updated park hours for ROL. At this point, I'm not going to overthink the MK situation. Good luck to you!

R&RMom

I'm not going to WDW when these events are happening (unless they are successful and extended to July) but I really think it is unlikely they will have a major impact on crowds from 7-10 pm. I wouldn't change my ADRs, FP, etc just because of this event. It is (rumored to be) WAY fewer people than extra magic hours so the "avoid a park with extra magic hours" rule isn't going to apply. Unless Josh were to change the day to "not recommended " I wouldn't change plans. There are way more tickets sold for the Halloween and Christmas parties than the rumors are for this event and it really doesn't seem to cause major crowd issues from 4-7 pm when day guests and party guests overlap. Party days are always recommended at MK. The one difference is evening entertainment on these nights that you don't have during normal operating hours on party days but I still think it is highly unlikely to have a major impact there either.
Thanks for the reassurance Anne. I can buy into your reasoning :RpS_wink:

Micah008

Staff member
I can't see myself purchasing this either way... but it makes a big difference how many people are allowed into this event if it would be worth it. If the 3000 rumor is true it might be really neat... but if they allow many more (or unlimited tickets) to be sold and people actually buy it then it wouldn't be worth it at all. Just think if this is a flop and only a couple hundred people buy it, how cool would that be to have the park to yourself.

kmc8826

I don't think I'll change anything. I have my FP+s set. And we are coming in the afternoon on 5/5, will do a few FP+, having dinner at the Plaza and then staying for nighttime entertainment. Will probably intersperse Peoplemover, and other "anytime attractions". It is our 2nd MK day, so we will just try and get more done on our 1st day (5/1). We also have a few hours on 5/7 before we catch our flight. I'm still trying to figure out AK since they haven't updated park hours for ROL. At this point, I'm not going to overthink the MK situation. Good luck to you!
I am totally overthinking our nights even with FP+ already made. If you can avoid overthinking it you are better than I am. If they would just release the schedules then we would start to get an idea...maybe MK will be pretty empty anyway as everyone will be at AK at night!

cdmurphy727

I wonder how many people typically stay for evening EMHs? Maybe they are testing doing away with those in favor of these paid after hours events. Although if that were to happen I'm sure there would be uproar from many people who stay onsite and take advantage of the EMH benefit for free (or at least included in the price of your room).

I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people buy these tickets. Anyone who isn't a "planner" probably perceives a benefit to the event. Especially those who stay offsite and would otherwise not get to experience EMHs. But I would be surprised if it was a success and people were happy enough after attending to warrant a continuation of these types of events. Maybe there are more people with money to burn than I realize. If it's truly only 3000 people even I would be intrigued but when it got right down to it, shelling out another $150 per person wouldn't be worth it. Again, I realize I'm not the intended target, I just can't figure out who is.

Anne

Again, I realize I'm not the intended target, I just can't figure out who is.
People who pay $700 per night for a standard room at Grand Floridian or who stay in a Poly bungalow at rack rate?

Good point about number of people at EMH. By the last hour it sure doesn't seem like there are many people left.

Maybe someone in accounting calculated it would take X tickets at $150 each to make EMH pay for themselves and this is an experiment to see if they can get people to pay for EMH.

I also am surprised they haven't added anything special to this. Ice cream novelties and bottled drinks??? How about some rare character greets? Or at least a gourmet character cupcake and a sparkling wine toast (it worked for the fireworks party, right)???

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Who are we kidding about expenses? The revenue from the parking fees at MK are enough to cover overhead (cost to run the park) every day, so any dollar spent there (tickets, food, mdse., etc.) is profit. EMH already paid for itself.

You better believe $50/hour covers the cost of ice cream and bottled water.

kristenb

We're also in the population this offer isn't targeting/doesn't appeal to, but I am interested to see what it ends up looking like (really <3000 tix?) and how well attended it is in terms of it continuing on or just being a seasonal offer. I don't think we'd let it impact our plans as it seems this is geared to the penultimate non-planner who isn't concerned with cost/value. Those are the same peeps arriving at noon, wondering why the wait is 160 minutes at TSMM and they make our touring easy. If the offer becomes larger scale, that might increase the relative ease/value of RDing MK the day of/the morning after this event.

TiggerGirl

okay I am a night owl so being in the parks this late with so few people sounds great, but not for $150. I understand the 3,000 tickets is a rumor and I also read 1,000 tickets. 1,000 tickets sounds like OMG What? Only 1,000 other people in the Magic Kingdom? But look around you next RD and figure out how close to 1,000 people you are. Now follow those 1,000 people to 7DMT because that's where you're all going to be all night. Who's going to want to ride IASW, even with the personalized good bye?

How many nights are scheduled right now? That's a quick $2M and everything can go back to normal :)

I had a hard time figuring out who this is targeting too - it has to be the teen/college/no kids/local and above all else, available disposable income.

Regarding the fact that they can enter at 7 - most won't even know that - much like the parties, it took a while for anyone to catch on to that and I still don't think everyone arrives at 4 - even if they're well intentioned - they don't leave time to get there by 4. People paying for this aren't looking for any value out of it - they're doing it for the newness, for the 'empty park'-ness and bragging rights. So they're not concerned with getting their money's worth by entering at 7.

Exception to the rule would be folks with literally one day and they're in a business meeting all day before hand. Hey maybe that is the niche!

cboyer

Exception to the rule would be folks with literally one day and they're in a business meeting all day before hand. Hey maybe that is the niche!
They already sell convention tickets at a discounted price to those who are in meetings all day and can only go into the park in the evening. I don't see many paying $150 extra just for a few extra hours, when they can get something like 3-close for half that.

I think young people would be the market, young 20 something DINKs, teenagers who beg their parents to let them stay late, etc. I can totally see my 16 year old niece begging to stay late in the park, especially if that meant she didn't have to get up early for RD.

George

okay I am a night owl so being in the parks this late with so few people sounds great, but not for $150. I understand the 3,000 tickets is a rumor and I also read 1,000 tickets. 1,000 tickets sounds like OMG What? Only 1,000 other people in the Magic Kingdom? But look around you next RD and figure out how close to 1,000 people you are. Now follow those 1,000 people to 7DMT because that's where you're all going to be all night. Who's going to want to ride IASW, even with the personalized good bye?
Why do you assume all 1,000 people are going to 7DMT? Besides, it doesn't take that long to get 1,000 people through.

The problem with RD crowds isn't the people at the rope at 9AM; it's the hordes that keep coming in behind them.

TiggerGirl

Why do you assume all 1,000 people are going to 7DMT? Besides, it doesn't take that long to get 1,000 people through.

The problem with RD crowds isn't the people at the rope at 9AM; it's the hordes that keep coming in behind them.
because it's the new thing that's hard to get FP+ for and why else would you pay a premium to attend with fewer people. I don't mean that everyone will literally be on 7DMT all night - though I do suppose that many would ride until told to get off if there wasn't anyone waiting for their seat. 1,000 people probably takes close to an hour doesn't it?

George

because it's the new thing that's hard to get FP+ for and why else would you pay a premium to attend with fewer people. I don't mean that everyone will literally be on 7DMT all night - though I do suppose that many would ride until told to get off if there wasn't anyone waiting for their seat. 1,000 people probably takes close to an hour doesn't it?
But that's what you wrote. Literally! :RpS_laugh:

bnoble

he's right
The revenue from the parking fees at MK are enough to cover overhead (cost to run the park) every day
I call shenanigans.

One pure-play operator (Cedar Fair) generates revenue of about $51/guest, but EBITDA (earnings before interest, depreciation, and amortization, a good approximation of free cash flow) of only about $19/guest. So, operating overhead is about $32 per guest. Assuming Disney has the same costs, and assuming an average number of guests per car at 2, they need another $20 or so per person to break even after parking. And, I'll bet Disney's costs per guest are higher.

It's hard to do the same calculation for Disney, because Parks & Resorts also includes Disney Cruise Line, so I'm not sure how to break them out of the annual report numbers.
Cedar Fair annual report here: http://s1.q4cdn.com/010679293/files/doc_news/2016/feb/160217-Q4-2015-and-YE-Earnings-Release.pdf

George

I call shenanigans.

One pure-play operator (Cedar Fair) generates revenue of about $51/guest, but EBITDA (earnings before interest, depreciation, and amortization, a good approximation of free cash flow) of only about $19/guest. So, operating overhead is about $32 per guest. Assuming Disney has the same costs, and assuming an average number of guests per car at 2, they need another $20 or so per person to break even after parking. And, I'll bet Disney's costs per guest are higher.

It's hard to do the same calculation for Disney, because Parks & Resorts also includes Disney Cruise Line, so I'm not sure how to break them out of the annual report numbers.
Cedar Fair annual report here: http://s1.q4cdn.com/010679293/files/doc_news/2016/feb/160217-Q4-2015-and-YE-Earnings-Release.pdf
I don't have concrete numbers, but the president of Buena Vista Construction, a friend of mine, told me this. Maybe he just meant that the revenue pays the CMs' wages/salaries? I'll see if I can get some clarification.

George

I call shenanigans.

I don't have concrete numbers, but the president of Buena Vista Construction, a friend of mine, told me this. Maybe he just meant that the revenue pays the CMs' wages/salaries? I'll see if I can get some clarification.
OK, I texted my friend, and he wrote back:

All Magic Kingdom parking fees daily cover all the wages of all cast members who work at Magic Kingdom every day.

So yeah, I was a bit off! But still, covering all wages just from parking fees is nothing to sneeze at.

bnoble

he's right
All Magic Kingdom parking fees daily cover all the wages of all cast members who work at Magic Kingdom every day.
Let's see what that means, using a few assumptions.

(Edited: I got the math wrong the first time.)

Suppose 80% of all MK attendees arrive by car (and pay). Average daily attendance is a bit more than 54,000, round up to 55,000. So, 80% of that is 44,000. Suppose an average of 2 guests per car (probably higher, but we'll err on the side of caution) so 22,000 parking fees per day, at $20 per is $440,000. Figure average CM hourly pay (loaded) is $10 (probably low, but again we'll err on the side of caution), so that pays for 44,000 hours of work. Figure average shift length is six hours/day (not everyone is full time) and that gives you north of 7,300 employees every day.

Plausible, I guess.

CathyB

Not to add to this conversation as I don't have exact figures but a friend of mine about 4 years ago said that "on any given day" Disneyland makes all its money back by 11am and anything sold after that is pure profit for the company. I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi. Whatever Disney sells Coke products for...is pure profit for them...

R&RMom

I am totally overthinking our nights even with FP+ already made. If you can avoid overthinking it you are better than I am. If they would just release the schedules then we would start to get an idea...maybe MK will be pretty empty anyway as everyone will be at AK at night!
I hear you Kim. I just don't want to start from scratch with 8 days of planning already done, ADRs made, FP+ made. I'm sure we will have many magically experiences, and if it's crowded that one night more than it would "normally" be on a recommended day, then oh well! I'm too tired to figure it out at this point. My bigger unknown is ROL.