New MK Ticketed Event according to WDW News Today

TiggerGirl

Not to add to this conversation as I don't have exact figures but a friend of mine about 4 years ago said that "on any given day" Disneyland makes all its money back by 11am and anything sold after that is pure profit for the company. I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi. Whatever Disney sells Coke products for...is pure profit for them...
can that be true? that's Coke makes NO money just so Pepsi can't make money???

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Another way to get at operating costs: Parks & Resorts in FY14 had $9.1B in opex. In CY14, Disney's global theme park attendance was (rounding up) 135M. Assume half of opex is the parks, and half is "other" (hotels, cruise ships, dvc, etc.). That means each guest incurs operating expenses of $33.70. That's awfully close to Cedar Fair's $32. So, again, plausible.
Let's see what that means, using a few assumptions.

(Edited: I got the math wrong the first time.)

Suppose 80% of all MK attendees arrive by car (and pay). Average daily attendance is a bit more than 54,000, round up to 55,000. So, 80% of that is 44,000. Suppose an average of 2 guests per car (probably higher, but we'll err on the side of caution) so 22,000 parking fees per day, at $20 per is $440,000. Figure average CM hourly pay (loaded) is $10 (probably low, but again we'll err on the side of caution), so that pays for 44,000 hours of work. Figure average shift length is six hours/day (not everyone is full time) and that gives you north of 7,300 employees every day.

Plausible, I guess.
Well, that's what he told me. He's a numbers guy (he can bid a job pretty much in his head), and his company is responsible for almost all the construction you see around The World (DS, parking decks, Buena Vista Drive road work, Castle cranes, holiday decorating at parks and hotels, Pandoraverse, RoL construction, all DHS construction, CG and FF restaurant rehabs, etc.), so I trust him when he speaks, and he's a great source of info, as well as numbers.

rhcoaster

All Magic Kingdom parking fees daily cover all the wages of all cast members who work at Magic Kingdom every day.
Wow, no wonder parking fees are so high.

I do know that Coke gives all of its product to Disney for free so there is no competition from Pepsi.
What!?!?! That's a bunch of $$$$$ for Disney.
:RpS_scared: you a damn lie!!!!
Uh, I wasn't exactly lying: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/marvel-coming-to-wdw.911512/page-3#post-7136764

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The free Coke thing is an urban legend. I've never seen any evidence that it's true.

bnoble

he's right
Well, that's what he told me.
You misunderstand. I think the CM wages assertion could well be true. It doesn't seem as though MK needs qualitatively more than 7K front-line daily staff to do what it does. But, the total operating expenses are significantly more than labor (which I was surprised to see).

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa

George

You misunderstand. I think the CM wages assertion could well be true. It doesn't seem as though MK needs qualitatively more than 7K front-line daily staff to do what it does. But, the total operating expenses are significantly more than labor (which I was surprised to see).
Sure; it'd be interesting to see a breakdown of operating expenses.

TeacherGrandma

This after hours event seems to be a way to capitalize on the DVC after hours party success. Perhaps they got such good reviews from the 2 1/2 hour parties, they could not resist offering it for tons of cash to the paying public.

Following that logic, in September there are DVC special hours parties at Animal Kingdom, so an expensive paid event may follow soon after!

TiggerGirl

but at a hard ticket party event you get something special you cannot get during normal park hours

that's the difference

at least in my mind

there's no special characters, not even a pin!

George

but at a hard ticket party event you get something special you cannot get during normal park hours

that's the difference

at least in my mind

there's no special characters, not even a pin!
Au contraire; there will be, depending on which rumor you believe, 1,000 or 3,000 special characters.

MMDisney

I would only need to eat 30 mickey bars a night or 10 a hour to make this pan out.. Sounds doable I'm in.

cboyer

I wonder what rides will remain open. If it is just a handful like the morning hour then this is really not worth it, but if it is the majority of the park, still not worth it but more understandable.

George

I wonder what rides will remain open. If it is just a handful like the morning hour then this is really not worth it, but if it is the majority of the park, still not worth it but more understandable.
I imagine it'd be the same ones that are open during the holiday parties. #notikiroom

beachta1

I think this is such crap. From reading Josh's blog and other TR, its clear that you can cover a lot of ground on any park day if you tour correctly. I can't imagine this being financially worth it when you can do so much with a normal park ticket.

I also will not be eating my weight in mickey bars.

KathleenG

Okay, so here's my take on the two extra hours events. It seems to me like (in addition to making a buck) Disney is trying to move the "crowds" with these events. If they can get someone arriving on Thursday for a long weekend to crank out MK after hours, then maybe that person will go to Epcot or HS on Saturday, making a little extra breathing room on MK's busiest day. Similarly, if they can get someone to tackle the three highest demand attractions before the crowds arrive, that should reduce the demand later in the day.

I wonder if the nighttime event will continue once Epcot has two new headliners. Disney won't need to try to divert guests that way anymore. The crowds will flock on their own.