New WDW Annual Passes Announced

Micah008

Staff member
There is a DVC discount. DVC can buy the Sorcerer Pass, which is $899 (vs $1299). The only difference is some blackout dates.
In the past there was an actual discount on the Platinum Pass for DVC making it $899 for DVC vs $1195. Now the equivalent('ish) Incredi-pass looks like it is $1299 for everyone.

The Gold Pass was $719, now up to $899 with the equivalent('ish) Sorcerer Pass.

I wish DVC qualified for the Pirate Pass, but even that took a big jump from $539 to $699.

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The Gold Pass was $719, now up to $899 with the equivalent Sorcerer Pass.
Not *exactly* equivalent, because it doesn't include Photopass or Water Parks. So it's $719 to $1,099 for an apples-to-apples comparison, a 53% increase. I guess if $15/day for Genie+ was the breaking point for some people, a 53% increase on annual passes would cause a lot more people to throw in the towel.

Micah008

Staff member
Not *exactly* equivalent, because it doesn't include Photopass or Water Parks. So it's $719 to $1,099 for an apples-to-apples comparison, a 53% increase. I guess if $15/day for Genie+ was the breaking point for some people, a 53% increase on annual passes would cause a lot more people to throw in the towel.
The Gold pass never had waterparks, but you are right on Photopass. I was mostly just saying equivalent from a blackout dates perspective, not the other things they are removing/adding.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
It seems as is Disney isn’t just increasing prices because they can, but that they’re also clearly targeting a more upscale guest than in the past. They‘re likely well aware that they’re alienating and/or losing many of those whose vacation budget was always stretched pretty thin. Those people will either not go at all, or take significantly shorter trips, freeing up valuable real estate around the resort for those with the bigger bucks.

cboyer

That is a big increase. I usually get an AP every other year, and we will get two trips out of it. I don't buy them for all three of us, because it is cheaper to buy two years worth of tickets than one AP for us, but will get one for me because when you factor in the discounts on dining and photopass, etc, it was worth it to have one AP in the group. With this price increase I have to redo the math, see if the discounts are still worth the extra cost over just buying park tickets. There is a photopass add on for $100 I think.

George

Seeing that a 7-day pass for our (cancelled) September/October trip was $634, paying $899 for the DVC Annual Pass is still a good value if we get at least two trips in; we’ll usually time it to do three trips on a single AP. It’s rather useless to fret about what we “used to” be able to get.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Seeing that a 7-day pass for our (cancelled) September/October trip was $634, paying $899 for the DVC Annual Pass is still a good value if we get at least two trips in; we’ll usually time it to do three trips on a single AP. It’s rather useless to fret about what we “used to” be able to get.

Same here. A little over $600 for our May, '22 trip. $889 to get in a second or third trip in 365 days makes sense dollarwise.

I really, really don't like the inflexibility of the park reservation system. Since we usually stay at BWV, we would occasionally do a park in the AM and go to Epcot for lunch (e.g. via monorail from MK). That option is gone.

George

I really, really don't like the inflexibility of the park reservation system. Since we usually stay at BWV, we would occasionally do a park in the AM and go to Epcot for lunch (e.g. via monorail from MK). That option is gone.
Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, and there’s no way to know if it’s even possible, but I wonder if there’ll be room for a relaxing of the reservation system, especially several hours after park open.

cboyer

I don't have the DVC option, so it would be $1299. Compared to what we spend on the 6 day park hopper for my DH and DD, which was about $550. So, $200 more for the AP compared to buying two years worth of tickets, slightly more when you figure the AP price doesn't include tax. I think it will still be worth it based on dining discounts alone over two trips. Especially if they ever bring back TIW at any point, which I am starting to think they won't do. And still have the discount on Memory Maker with the add on, though we might skip, we don't get many photopass anymore. When DD was young and we did all the characters we would get a lot, but now we really don't anymore.

I don't mind the park reservation system, I just don't like how you can't hop until 2. You should be able to hop at anytime if that park has availability. It makes the hopper a lot less valuable. EP for instance almost always has availability, no reason I shouldn't be able to start my day at DHS for a 9:00 opening, hit a couple of RD rides, then jump on the skyliner and head to EP for lunch at the F&W booths. I am hoping they start allowing this soon.

DopeyRunr

The Gold pass never had waterparks, but you are right on Photopass. I was mostly just saying equivalent from a blackout dates perspective, not the other things they are removing/adding.
You're right - my mistake.

DopeyRunr

It’s rather useless to fret about what we “used to” be able to get.
True. Given the tight availability on DVC properties, I'm not sure they need to add any more discounts like they did on the Platinum Plus pass a few years back.

And still have the discount on Memory Maker with the add on, though we might skip, we don't get many photopass anymore. When DD was young and we did all the characters we would get a lot, but now we really don't anymore.
It's fun (to us, anyway) to choose creative poses for on-ride photos, so we would probably get the photopass add-on for one of the passes, but we're not doing character meet and greets anymore either. I mean, they're not really offering them now anyway...

Alcachofa

LOL. I think think they blacked out the wrong days in February. President's Day is on the 21st. They have the 14th blacked out.

crumjack

While I appreciate the generally calm and level headed approach on these boards, I have started to derive some amusement from the angst and outrage in Distwitter world. I can’t even tell if it’s real or fake at this point. Is anyone really surprised that Disney (or most any other travel related entity) is charging more for less at this point?

And, no, I don’t like it either but I don’t see the less for more approach going away in any industry anytime soon.

pixarprincess

I feel like the biggest bummer of this is if you don't live local and don't have DVC your only option is the most expensive one. We now have the hard decision of deciding if we upgrade our December trip tickets at the end of our trip or not.... I'm glad to see them back offering passes and I get the limitations and reservations, I'd just love to see more options for non-locals.

RetroCOTfan

I love the names. Why didn’t they just call them Offsite, Value, Moderate, and Deluxe?
Whoever is in charge of the awful naming conventions (or, rather, lack of conventions) needs to go. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum - easy to understand and discuss, and to know what's a higher tier with more benefits and cost. This mixing of characters and concepts to IP to create some hodgepodge for the new AP names (and Genie/Lightning) seems like it was just spat out of a "Disney random name generator." It's all so annoyingly non consumer friendly.