New WDW Annual Passes Announced

Strangeite

The best meal I have had at WDW was at Tiffins not too long after it opened. Particularly early on, the menu was very adventurous. My wife and I both would say that it was as good as any restaurant anywhere. The last couple of times we have eaten there it was good, but "Disney good".

Edit: Several years ago Joe Rhode gave a talk at Tiffins that included a specially prepared meal. @josh was there tool but I didn't realize it at the time. I remember that meal being extremely good but it probably doesn't count.

This was Josh's report on the meal.

cboyer

IMO, Le Cellier is a Signature primarily to discourage the masses from flocking to it as a 1-credit dinner. And, in the very beginning it was really quite good. I had a venison dish there on maybe the second or third day after the change that was fantastic.

But, that menu lasted maybe a few months before it reverted to the tasteless filets with over-salted sauces that had always been there.

May of the other Signatures are decent-to-very-good. I've had good meals (even considering the price) at Tiffins, Jiko, and Citrico's in the past fivish years. Not real-world-good-for-the-money, but more than acceptable for a captive audience.
I'll agree with this. Though, last trip to Tiffins was disappointing, they seem to be going the way of many other Disney restaurants and it wasn't what it use to be. Not helped by the constantly changing menu. Was our favorite in park restaurant for a few years.

What is odd to me about Le Cellier, no dining plan right now, during food and wine where you can get the best thing from their menu outside at the booth (the soup), and reservations are still hard to come by for it at 60 days out. That means that people are lining up to pay $60 for an outback quality steak. Behold the power of Disney. :RpS_lol:

bnoble

he's right
reservations are still hard to come by for it at 60 days out
I think that has more to do with the guest composition than it does the quality of the restaurant. LC is possibly the "safest" restaurant in terms of menu familiarity for most folks. What are the other two country-pavilion restaurants that tend to book up quickly? Rose & Crown and Tutto Italia.

Akershus used to be a ghost town before the princesses landed. There's a reason that that's where they put them. I mean, lingenberries! Who's ever heard of those?

(PS: they are delicious.)

RetroCOTfan

I think that has more to do with the guest composition than it does the quality of the restaurant. LC is possibly the "safest" restaurant in terms of menu familiarity for most folks. What are the other two country-pavilion restaurants that tend to book up quickly? Rose & Crown and Tutto Italia.

Akershus used to be a ghost town before the princesses landed. There's a reason that that's where they put them. I mean, lingenberries! Who's ever heard of those?

Well, if you still want to get those delicious lingenberries while you're in the park, I hope you're an employee of Florida Blue.

And you're absolutely right - there's a reason Disney has 827 Italian restaurants and the Italy food booth charges $12 for 4 Chef Boyardee ravioli. People generally gravitate to the "safe" experience.

RetroCOTfan

I confess I don't get this one, but I suspect it's pretty funny...help?
As of a couple of weeks ago, Akershus has been converted to a corporate lounge for Florida Blue (the Florida division of BCBS health insurance) and, per CMs stationed outside, there is little chance of it returning to serving guests anytime soon.

cboyer

That was kind of my point originally. Guests tend to find something passable and cling to it, even paying outrageous prices for it, because they find the other stuff gross. But I think a lot of the guest composition tend to favor kids tastes. It is mainly families after all, and most ten year olds are very very picky eaters. And families don't want to drag them into a restaurant that doesn't have anything on the menu that they will eat. Unfortunately, catering to kids tastes means us adults get mediocre food.

cboyer

As of a couple of weeks ago, Akershus has been converted to a corporate lounge for Florida Blue (the Florida division of BCBS health insurance) and, per CMs stationed outside, there is little chance of it returning to serving guests anytime soon.
That sucks. I liked the food at Akershus. I'll admit we originally went there for the characters for DD, but after several meals there over the years, I found some dishes I really liked. I'm going to miss that place.

bnoble

he's right
Unfortunately, catering to kids tastes means us adults get mediocre food.
On the flip side, it also means that the strategy of "let's see what's available for dinner tomorrow/tonight" tends to work out. There are exceptions (I'm looking at you, Diamond Horseshoe) but the less-popular places can also be among the more interesting.

pixarprincess

The best meal I have had at WDW was at Tiffins not too long after it opened. Particularly early on, the menu was very adventurous. My wife and I both would say that it was as good as any restaurant anywhere. The last couple of times we have eaten there it was good, but "Disney good".

Edit: Several years ago Joe Rhode gave a talk at Tiffins that included a specially prepared meal. @josh was there tool but I didn't realize it at the time. I remember that meal being extremely good but it probably doesn't count.

This was Josh's report on the meal.
SO agree. Initially Tiffins was amazing, the last few times we still enjoyed ourselves but it was way scaled back.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The last two times I have eaten there we sat on the deck and ordered drinks and appetizers. That is still a very pleasant experience.
I believe you're thinking of Nomad Lounge, which is a FANTASTIC lounge experience when the weather is good for sitting out there.

Mrs Darling

That was kind of my point originally. Guests tend to find something passable and cling to it, even paying outrageous prices for it, because they find the other stuff gross. But I think a lot of the guest composition tend to favor kids tastes. It is mainly families after all, and most ten year olds are very very picky eaters. And families don't want to drag them into a restaurant that doesn't have anything on the menu that they will eat. Unfortunately, catering to kids tastes means us adults get mediocre food.
I think it’s partially that, and partially how the human brain associates happy experiences and then memories with tastes, smells & sounds. Listening to the background music and eating Dole Whip IRL takes me back there somewhat, but the pleasure derived from a Dole Whip in Adventureland far exceeds the actual taste of it.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I think Tiffins is the most gorgeous dining room in all of WDW and DLR.

Yes, sir. I did something I've never done in a restaurant. Waiting for our food, I got up to walk round the restaurant. it was like being in an art gallery.

It's not currently on the menu, but we really liked the prix fixe lunch. It was around $30 for three courses, and it was probably the best lunch we've had in any WDW park.

pixarprincess

The last two times I have eaten there we sat on the deck and ordered drinks and appetizers. That is still a very pleasant experience.
Nomad lounge is our favorite. But as others have said it has it's own menu and normally they won't bring you anything from next door. We love that area and lounge. Tiffins is still solid, just more pedestrian than it started. Which is probably ok for a large number of people.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
They used to bring the "enhancements" from Tiffins over, though it's been while. The Gobi Manchurian is out of this world.

midtowngirl

So this may not be the best time for me to buy an AP for the first time, but...is there still any wisdom in getting a regular ticket and upgrading it to an AP? Or just get the AP when it becomes available? We are coming in late October and will have a car, so will need the parking benefit the first time we drive in.