No DVC Waitlist Until the Parks Reopen

Anne

FWIW I was told via phone that while DVC is still taking waitlist requests right now, they are not "working the list" and clearing requests. They do not plan to resume looking at waitlisted nights until there is a firm reopen date.

We are trying to change resorts for November and have all but one night (of course right in the middle) at our prefered resort. I guess I just need to stalk availability several times a day in case of cancellation? It's hard to be motivated to search since we don't know if we will be able to take the trip.

Micah008

Staff member
Interesting. I can see them not wanting to waste a bunch of time filling waitlists for May and even June as people cancel and others try to snag reservations, especially since they will likely be cancelled anyway.

But... I sure hope they are filling waitlists normally for dates farther into the future. We are trying to make a change for next January, I sure expected the waitlists to be working normally for that far out. I am stalking availability also, but was hoping the waitlist would help out too, since I have had good luck with the combination of waitlisting and stalking in the past.

Part of the waitlist process is the computer matching rooms, and then a MS rep needs to complete the process. I wonder if they are still having the computer do the matching, or if they turned that part off. Would be interesting to somehow test and find out.... :unsure:

Anne

I was told no wait list clearing for ANY future date. Which is frustrating. I don't really understand how the wait list works. Why do rooms that have a wait list still end up available to "snag" with spot checking? When a reservation is cancelled does the inventory automatically release into the main booking pool instead of being held for the wait list?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I was told no wait list clearing for ANY future date. Which is frustrating. I don't really understand how the wait list works. Why do rooms that have a wait list still end up available to "snag" with spot checking? When a reservation is cancelled does the inventory automatically release into the main booking pool instead of being held for the wait list?
I don’t know if there’s an answer you your second question, but as for the first, it’s my understanding that even though there may be a day here and there that’s available and part of someone’s waitlist, the waitlist won’t take that room until all the rooms on that waitlist are available at the same time.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
When a reservation is cancelled does the inventory automatically release into the main booking pool instead of being held for the wait list?
Anecdotally, yes. LOTS of stories of people with active waitlists who are able to book rooms for their exact dates and room types. DVCs reliance on a manual process to actually book the waitlisted room is apparently limited by how busy phone center CMs are. They apparently process waitlists "when they have the time" which leaves rooms freed by cancellations hanging out there wide open for anyone to snag.

Micah008

Staff member
I agree, anecdotally I have also heard many examples of people who were able to "beat" their waitlist and book the room themselves. I have even been able to do it personally once. Though at a different time also once tried to release a room to someone else, and have them search at the exact right second, but it did not work, so its hard to say for sure ....

Best I can tell there is 2 steps to the process.

The first is the computer matching the room to a waitlist, and no one knows how often this runs. DVC will tell you it is continuously when reservations are cancelled, but it seems from all the examples out there that it may be run periodically, maybe every 5 minutes, or 10, or hourly, something like that.

Once matched it typically takes multiple days for them to actually do the manual process and turn it into a reservation. During this time there is no indication to the member that it has even matched. The waitlist still exists, and you don't see anything different. Two different times I have called MS during this time (randomly) and they said on the phone that they could see a waitlist had matched on my account, and they went ahead and processed it immediately for me.

I once asked how come I was able to "beat" the waitlist... and the answer I got was that there must have been two rooms released, one was matched by my waitlist and the other I booked myself. Its possible, and no way to know for sure, but I am not convinced that was really true, based on the number of reports of others doing this.

I still waitlist and search myself, just to get the best chance, no matter the exact specifics of the system.

heapmaster

The CM confirming is done due to possible issues that can occur that's happened in the past, so they have a CM manually force it through and cancel any reservations per the request. Also my testing has confirmed that when you cancel a reservation, the waitlist system checks first for matches and then if none, puts it into the RAT for display to searching. Im sure there are times where more then one room comes up so a waitlist will grab it and it will show up in the RAT at the same time.

Last edited:

heapmaster

Interesting. I can see them not wanting to waste a bunch of time filling waitlists for May and even June as people cancel and others try to snag reservations, especially since they will likely be cancelled anyway.

But... I sure hope they are filling waitlists normally for dates farther into the future. We are trying to make a change for next January, I sure expected the waitlists to be working normally for that far out. I am stalking availability also, but was hoping the waitlist would help out too, since I have had good luck with the combination of waitlisting and stalking in the past.

Part of the waitlist process is the computer matching rooms, and then a MS rep needs to complete the process. I wonder if they are still having the computer do the matching, or if they turned that part off. Would be interesting to somehow test and find out.... :unsure:
We can test this theory out if you have enough points from now until Nov. I can book a room I know has one left, then you waitlist the same date. I cancel the reservation, if it shows up in RAT then waitlist didnt get it. If it doesnt show up and your waitlist got it then it wouldnt show up in the RAT when I cancel. I have confirmed when I have cancelled I have seen it show up in the RAT (so either no waitlists or system not working, both possible). If it doesnt show up and then you cancel the WL and then it shows up in RAT (which I have seen as well) then we know the WL is grabbing rooms still. Then you cancel the WL and you get your points back.

Micah008

Staff member
We can test this theory out if you have enough points from now until Nov. I can book a room I know has one left, then you waitlist the same date. I cancel the reservation, if it shows up in RAT then waitlist didnt get it. If it doesnt show up and your waitlist got it then it wouldnt show up in the RAT when I cancel. I have confirmed when I have cancelled I have seen it show up in the RAT (so either no waitlists or system not working, both possible). If it doesnt show up and then you cancel the WL and then it shows up in RAT (which I have seen as well) then we know the WL is grabbing rooms still. Then you cancel the WL and you get your points back.
I have played around with similar things. In the future it would be interesting to try... I do have the points, but not the extra WL, both currently used. We can PM in the future and try something.

heapmaster

I have played around with similar things. In the future it would be interesting to try... I do have the points, but not the extra WL, both currently used. We can PM in the future and try something.
Sounds like a plan, I have tested waitlists thoroughly, but I only have enough points in the current UY for like a one night stay but have two waitlists available or I would do it myself .

kmc8826

Thanks Anne for your post. I don’t know if it is working or not since I did not wait, but just saw your post and checked again for possible night in December (BLT standard versus lake view). Standard has been booked and I had waitlisted the last night. When I saw your post got on and checked and standard open. So I modified and changed it and cancelled wait list.

Micah008

Staff member
I was just told on member chat that waitlists are running and matching.
I was just told the same today. (was calling for a totally different reason)

The normal process is still matching waitlists and holding the reservations. But, they said they are not "confirming" any of them right now (the manual step) until the resorts reopen, even if the match is for 2021 (like my waitlists) they still aren't doing it right now. So, if you happen to have a waitlist match you won't know it, and they won't confirm it for now.

While on the phone they checked and said that neither of mine had matched yet, but that if they had she would have been able to take care of them for me.

My advice is keep using waitlists like you normally would, but before you 'give up' on one and cancel it... best to call and see if it has matched first, or you might be giving up a real room.

Micah008

Staff member
Based on my experience today, the waitlists are for sure still trying to find matches, and holding them for you. Maybe they are not confirming them, but the system is still matching.

For a few months now I have had 2 nights waitlisted, and also have been searching myself to see if I manage to find them on my own. Tonight I did a search and the rooms were available! I booked them (got 3 nights actually), and then went back and re-did the search and now there was no availability left. So... it looked like I beat the waitlist. But, then I went and cancelled the waitlists for those 2 nights, and re-did my search again. Sure enough, those 2 nights appeared available again. Not sure exactly what happened if more rooms were declared (this was a room at Riviera) or if multiple nights were cancelled, but it looks like waitlists are still working, I just happened to also grab a room and didn't need it in this case.

Really excited to get Standard View studio at Riviera. We had one booked originally, and then changed our dates and had to give it up... happy to get it back for our new dates. :)

Anne

Based on my experience today, the waitlists are for sure still trying to find matches, and holding them for you. Maybe they are not confirming them, but the system is still matching.

For a few months now I have had 2 nights waitlisted, and also have been searching myself to see if I manage to find them on my own. Tonight I did a search and the rooms were available! I booked them (got 3 nights actually), and then went back and re-did the search and now there was no availability left. So... it looked like I beat the waitlist. But, then I went and cancelled the waitlists for those 2 nights, and re-did my search again. Sure enough, those 2 nights appeared available again. Not sure exactly what happened if more rooms were declared (this was a room at Riviera) or if multiple nights were cancelled, but it looks like waitlists are still working, I just happened to also grab a room and didn't need it in this case.

Really excited to get Standard View studio at Riviera. We had one booked originally, and then changed our dates and had to give it up... happy to get it back for our new dates. :)
Thanks for the update! Gives me some peace of mind our wait list is actually doing something (y)

Anne

My single night that was wait listed became available this morning. But the wait list hadn't matched per the phone CM. And after the night was booked there wasn't a 2nd room showing as available that night. It was Riviera so could it have been new inventory that came into the system if someone purchased a new contract and that doesn't automatically get seen by the wait list system? I'm just happy we have the night, can cancel the alternate reservation, and use those points to book spring break which thankfully is still available!!!!

Micah008

Staff member
Glad to hear you got the night you were looking for! Possible it was new inventory, but that is typically tied to them declaring more inventory to the county, not specifically someone making a purchase.

Congrats! I know how good it feels to get those final nights to put together a reservation.