Paging Southwest Experts!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
When a (cash) fare drops, is there any difference between changing the existing ticket and cancelling and re-booking? Does it depend on if Early-Bird Check-in is associated with the ticket? Someone on a thread elsewhere said that changing the ticket turns that ticket into a non-refundable ticket.
I think I answered my own question, and it has to do with the word “non-refundable.” I’m confusing this with the Wanna Get Away fares which are not refundable, but can be cancelled and are eligible to the Travel Credit. The refundable fares are the other two categories.

Never mind. :RpS_blushing:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Definitely change rather than cancel and rebook, otherwise you’ll lose your EBCI.

George

Do you Southwest Experts use points or pay cash for your tickets, ideally? Since point requirements are based on fares, it seems logical to use points first, i.e., there’s no reason to hoard them, since if you cancel or get a better “fare” you’ll get them all refunded instead of being beholden to a Travel Account ticking clock.

It’s in my nature, however, to hoard points in case I need them some day; I have over 1.5MM Chase Ultimate Rewards points which, like the SW points, work like cash, i.e., tied to fares, and also have a 1.5x Chase Sapphire Reserve bonus. But they can also be used to transfer to other travel partners, so I’m hesitant to use those as cash.

DopeyRunr

Always use Southwest points first, because they're 100% refundable, but also because SW has a history over the last several years of devaluing points redemptions.

George

Always use Southwest points first, because they're 100% refundable, but also because SW has a history over the last several years of devaluing points redemptions.
Good info, thanks!

We have the companion pass through the end of next year (got personal and business cards to earn the points), so we got our two May MCO tickets for 14,000 points round-trip!

beachta1

I'm only 2 round-trip tickets away from A-List preferred for the rest of this year and 2019. As my schedule is now, will have 46 flights between now and Xmas. Do you think its worth booking 2 trips to get this status? I know the points you can receive (and free internet!) is a nice perk.

George

I'm only 2 round-trip tickets away from A-List preferred for the rest of this year and 2019. As my schedule is now, will have 46 flights between now and Xmas. Do you think its worth booking 2 trips to get this status? I know the points you can receive (and free internet!) is a nice perk.
If you have elite status with a different airline, Southwest might promote you to A-List immediately. Check it out HERE.

DopeyRunr

You have 46 flights in the next 85 days, and you only need four to get A-List Preferred. Why on earth would you book four additional just to get the status sooner?

beachta1

You have 46 flights in the next 85 days, and you only need four to get A-List Preferred. Why on earth would you book four additional just to get the status sooner?
Sorry, that came out wrong!!! As its scheduled now, by the end of the year I will have completed 46 flights. Not 46 between now and the end of the year!!

George

Sorry, that came out wrong!!! As its scheduled now, by the end of the year I will have completed 46 flights. Not 46 between now and the end of the year!!
I was wondering how you have time to post here on the Board with 46 flights coming up?! :RpS_biggrin: