Park Reservation System ?

Mossy1

Hello All,
I haven't been to DW in a few years now and with the new Park Reservation System taking the place of FP+ for now, I had some questions. Everything I had noticed so far is as long as I have tickets linked in MDE I can make my park day reservations immediately as long as that park is available that day? No onsite reservation required? Is this correct? Am I missing something? Last week it appeared Disney had released park reservation availability until 01/22, so would that lead you to believe that they expect this system to remain until then or you would feel that FP+ would be brought back by then? I know this would just be speculation but am interested in our peoples thoughts. Thanks for youor time. :)

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
FP+ will not be coming back in January 2021, and in my opinion, won't be back until coronavirus restrictions are lifted. So, MAYBE, by the end of 2021? It all depends on the ability to mass produce a vaccine and inoculate about 300 million people in the US.

bnoble

he's right
the new Park Reservation System taking the place of FP+
I'm not sure these two are orthogonal---I can imagine the reservation system persisting even after FP+ is reintroduced.

The reservations appear to be in three separate buckets: one for theme park ticket guests, one for resort guests, and one for annual passholders. For theme park ticket/resort guests there are already days through the end of 2020 for which at least one park is not available. I would make speculative reservations as soon as I could if I planned to go.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
What makes you think someone with a hopper can't make two reservations for one day? The Mouse gets his cheese.
That would be a pretty significant change to the system. It would also GREATLY reduce the utility and attractiveness of park hopper if you could only add a second park the day of (similar to how additional FP+ work now).

Think of the logistics planning of ADRs at 180 days if you not only don't know the exact park hours or your exact plans but with having to commit to being in two specific parks for meals when you're not even sure you could get a reservation for the park... The DIS would have a million post long thread about how to game the system and get reservations for three parks... ugh

Micah008

Staff member
I could possibly see them allowing a "morning park" and an "afternoon park", or something like that to reserve two 1/2 days. But, much harder to manage for sure, but if Disney wants to know who is going to which parks, or if the reservation system is here for the long run, they will find a way to make it work.

bnoble

he's right
That would be a pretty significant change to the system. It would also GREATLY reduce the utility and attractiveness of park hopper if you could only add a second park the day of (similar to how additional FP+ work now).
I don't see why you'd be limited to making it the same day---at least not if it is a matter of revenue to the Mouse.

Strangeite

The lack of park hopping was the biggest thing we missed on this last trip, by a large margin. That surprised us because we thought with the reduced hours, we figured that visiting only one park wouldn't be that big a deal.

Mossy1

I'm not sure these two are orthogonal---I can imagine the reservation system persisting even after FP+ is reintroduced.

The reservations appear to be in three separate buckets: one for theme park ticket guests, one for resort guests, and one for annual passholders. For theme park ticket/resort guests there are already days through the end of 2020 for which at least one park is not available. I would make speculative reservations as soon as I could if I planned to go.
I noticed the buckets too. I usually always keep my room and tickets separate (not a package). Probably purchase the tickets now and lock in my park choices, I may hold off on the room reservations. Thanks for your input

Mossy1

FP+ will not be coming back in January 2021, and in my opinion, won't be back until coronavirus restrictions are lifted. So, MAYBE, by the end of 2021? It all depends on the ability to mass produce a vaccine and inoculate about 300 million people in the US.
Thanks for your reply. I was leaning that way too on thinking FP+ may not return as long as the Park Reservation System is in place. As I mentioned they have that available thru 01/2022. I hope there is a viable vacine that is safe and available to all, sooner than later. Challenging times indeed.