Parking at Contemporary or Grand Floridian

We are staying offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek at the end of April. It says it is recommended to take walkways to get a little head start. Is there a way to do this if you are not staying at those locations? If not and I need to park at the Ticket and Transportation center what time should I arrive there to be on one of the 1st monorails? Thank you!

hizouse

You can make a breakfast reservation at the Wave to park at the Contemporary or at Grand Floridian Cafe to park at GF. You will be able to park there all day, even if officially discouraged, as long as you have a valid reservation.

pixarprincess

alternate option though its a LOT more walking is to park at TTC and you can walk from there through Poly and on through Grand Floridian...

hizouse

The great bioreconstruct estimates a 32-minute walk from TTC to MK, if you know where you're going and don't stop.

It took Josh 27 minutes to walk from GF at a much more leisurely pace.

JerseyJive

In the past, we just drove to the Contemporary and paid the fee for Valet parking. I know some people frown on this, but Disney never batted an eye in the past. I didn't post this to be controversial. Just trying to help the OP.

bnoble

he's right
That's not controversial (at least, it probably shouldn't be) because the "rule" had been that you could visit a theme park after valet parking. In "normal times," I would typically not bother unless I had a meal planned there, because getting out of the Contemporary is a pain with the congestion around Seven Seas Drive.

Now that we are no longer in "normal times", the CR gate may be a little more particular about who can/cannot park at the resort, valet or no.

JerseyJive

That's not controversial (at least, it probably shouldn't be) because the "rule" had been that you could visit a theme park after valet parking. In "normal times," I would typically not bother unless I had a meal planned there, because getting out of the Contemporary is a pain with the congestion around Seven Seas Drive.

Now that we are no longer in "normal times", the CR gate may be a little more particular about who can/cannot park at the resort, valet or no.
It has been 5 years since our last trip. We have always parked at the CR during Peak summer months and never really hated the outbound traffic, compared to waiting for busses to the resorts. We have a tripped planned for this July. Hoping things settle into a more "normal" routine.

Had to hop on EasyWDW for my new trip obsession. :)

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Nowadays the controversy is that people are letting strangers valet their cars.

KathyNY

The official drop-off is at the TTC (MK parking lot), not at the MK itself, which is only for buses.

Yes, you can choose the Contemporary as a drop-off point. But, the security there could still ask for a reservation or why you are going there.
At the risk of sounding slightly crazy...

Looking at satellite map of GF - could you ask Uber to drop you off up Grand Floridian Way - past the official GF entrance and then just walk up the (what appears to be a resort exit) road (bottom X) or through the parking lot, past the Convention Center (top X). Seems easier than making reservations you won't use, or trying the mobile order "proof" to get past the guard. And that road isn't likely super busy like dropping outside the CR gate?

Attachments

Micah008

Staff member
At the risk of sounding slightly crazy...

Looking at satellite map of GF - could you ask Uber to drop you off up Grand Floridian Way - past the official GF entrance and then just walk up the (what appears to be a resort exit) road (bottom X) or through the parking lot, past the Convention Center (top X). Seems easier than making reservations you won't use, or trying the mobile order "proof" to get past the guard. And that road isn't likely super busy like dropping outside the CR gate?
Not sure if Uber would consider that a drop off point, but the walk is doable if you were dropped off there.

If you are just getting dropped off basically at the side of the road you could possibly even find a closer place to MK. :)

bnoble

he's right
IIRC, that section of Floridian Way is Cast Only. I don't think there is a gate controlling it, but I can imagine most Uber drivers being hesitant to do that.

I know this website is fond of getting every last advantage possible, but to channel an old-time TGMer, this is starting to feel like too much sugar for a dime.

pixarprincess

We have had an uber driver drop us off at the light right next to the walkway to MK at contemporary crossing World drive, without entering hotel property. He had us get ready as we were pulling up and he slowed way down so we hit the red and was like "ok jump out now! have a great time!" Probably not all drivers will do this, in fact probably not most, but you can always ask and put in the hotel address and worst case follow through with going into the hotel.

KathyNY

IIRC, that section of Floridian Way is Cast Only. I don't think there is a gate controlling it, but I can imagine most Uber drivers being hesitant to do that.

I know this website is fond of getting every last advantage possible, but to channel an old-time TGMer, this is starting to feel like too much sugar for a dime.
Ah, I wondered about that too. The lower X appears to be the entrance for the Convention Center parking lot, so that doesn't seem as "scandalous".

I think it's a bit silly of Disney to require me to have a reservation to have an Uber driver pull up to the main entrance and drop me off, though. I mean, parking my own car and taking up resort reservation car space with the sole purpose of walking I understand, but why can't Uber drop me at the front? What if I just wanted to walk around the resort and look at things?

KathyNY

We have had an uber driver drop us off at the light right next to the walkway to MK at contemporary crossing World drive, without entering hotel property. He had us get ready as we were pulling up and he slowed way down so we hit the red and was like "ok jump out now! have a great time!" Probably not all drivers will do this, in fact probably not most, but you can always ask and put in the hotel address and worst case follow through with going into the hotel.
But that's the thing - you can't actually even get through the gate without some sort of reservation right? I'd be fine pulling up to the GF and walking through the lobby, looking around a bit before I headed on to the walkway. But if I can't even get to the front door without a reservation (that I'll have to pay $30 for when we don't show...)

bnoble

he's right
I think it's a bit silly of Disney to require me to have a reservation to have an Uber driver pull up to the main entrance and drop me off, though.
I don't, for two reasons.

The first is the pandemic. Hotels are already problematic for transmission. Requiring people to either be overnight guests or have a dining reservation allows some degree of control over density within the space. Disney's first concern is to make sure people feel safe staying in those resorts, because those people are paying $500-$700/night to be there.

But, even aside from that, Seven Seas Drive is a two-lane road that has to serve all inbound and outbound traffic for Poly and the Grand Floridian. Likewise, the stretch of World Drive north of the Seven Seas/Timberline intersection is a two-lane road that has to serve all inbound and outbound traffic for BLT and the Contemporary. There is no way either could handle even a fraction of the traffic that would result from every Magic Kingdom guest "just getting dropped off" in a car.

But, whether I think it is silly or not doesn't really matter, because at the moment they are requiring it. You can make it and no-show for it, or you can park in the TTC like everyone else. It's up to you.

pixarprincess

But that's the thing - you can't actually even get through the gate without some sort of reservation right? I'd be fine pulling up to the GF and walking through the lobby, looking around a bit before I headed on to the walkway. But if I can't even get to the front door without a reservation (that I'll have to pay $30 for when we don't show...)
Does the loophole still work where you modify the reservation instead of cancelling and then cancel later? Might be an alternative option if it does. That said you really easily can walk through poly and GF from TTC, I get it is a little more time... I get both sides. Not requiring some sort of reason for being in the resorts creates all this super unnecessary traffic for the ones close to parks, but I also understand that where an uber is supposed to drop you currently is inconvenient. There is no perfect answer to solve all the problems and keep everyone happy.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Does the loophole still work where you modify the reservation instead of cancelling and then cancel later? Might be an alternative option if it does. That said you really easily can walk through poly and GF from TTC, I get it is a little more time... I get both sides. Not requiring some sort of reason for being in the resorts creates all this super unnecessary traffic for the ones close to parks, but I also understand that where an uber is supposed to drop you currently is inconvenient. There is no perfect answer to solve all the problems and keep everyone happy.
As far as I remember, you can't modify a reservation the day of, even if you call. Seems like a lot of potential trouble just to avoid a ferry (or monorail) ride.