Picture organization

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
I love all the pictures both here and in the trip reports. I find the prospect of actually posting too daunting, however, to actually participate. I've got entire years' worth of pictures sitting on an SD cards simply labeled with the date I started and ended using it (or worse, without dates), various "photo" folders on my desktop with out any description of what is in the folder and an iPhone full of pictures, and apparently somewhere hidden in my computer more files of photos because I KNOW I've taken more pictures with my iPhone. :confused:

So, how do y'all keep your photos organized??
How do you keep from ending up with all your memories lost in a digital heap?
What system do you use so that you stay on top of keeping your photos organized?

:help:

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
I use snapfish. I upload there every month or so, or after a big event. It's the easiest way for me.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
I use 'my photo album.com'. Same idea as snapfish.

Brandie

So, when you use a website, do you keep your pictures somewhere else on your computer? Do you name each of your pictures?

MichaelColey

I wish there was something similar to iPhoto (a Mac product) for the PC. It has facial recognition built in, so you can browse your pictures by subject. I would love for my pictures to be more organized.

Craig

on disneys mom panel
I guess my "system" is that I don't let the pics sit on SD cards very long before I load them to my hard drive. Take WDW trip's for instance. Within a couple of days after getting home I've dumped all the cards onto my hard drive into 1 folder in my editing software program and named that folder "WDW Christmas 2010", or whatever event the trip happened to coincide with, and that's pretty much where I leave them. As long as I can associate a date/name with a group of pics I'm fine with it and really prefer to leave them that way, by date that is. I never overlap trips or events on 1 card though, they're always downloaded before the next photo session. So, if you can call that a system...kinda simplistic but it works for me. I also use flickr and photobucket for the pics that I post on line.

MichaelColey

I generally name my folders "YYYY-MM-DD Event Name" so that they easily sort by date.

Another thing that I try to do (although it's easy to get behind) is to pick my favorite 10-50 photos or so (generally less than 10% of them) and put them in a folder within a "Favorites" folder. I keep that "Favorites" folder synced onto my iPhone, so I also have my favorites there.

I wish there was something similar to iPhoto (a Mac product) for the PC. It has facial recognition built in, so you can browse your pictures by subject. I would love for my pictures to be more organized.
FWIW, it's been a couple years since I've looked around. I just looked again, after posting this, and discovered that Picasa has the facial recognition features like iPhoto. I've loaded that, and it's working through my tens of thousands of photos, grouping people. I've already identified 78 people and it's amazing how well it recognizes them.

4mickeyfreax

the bank says yes
Another thing that I try to do (although it's easy to get behind) is to pick my favorite 10-50 photos or so (generally less than 10% of them) and put them in a folder within a "Favorites" folder.
Ooooh, I like this idea!!:thumb: Thanks for sharing
Thanks!!

Brandie

FWIW, it's been a couple years since I've looked around. I just looked again, after posting this, and discovered that Picasa has the facial recognition features like iPhoto. I've loaded that, and it's working through my tens of thousands of photos, grouping people. I've already identified 78 people and it's amazing how well it recognizes them.
Can you post to websites from Picasa? (Like you can from flickr and photobucket?) That runs through google, right?

Janine

So, when you use a website, do you keep your pictures somewhere else on your computer? Do you name each of your pictures?
Yes, I transfer them to my computer, then upload to the website. I started the website thing mostly because after my DD was born everyone was of course asking for pics - it was easier to just give them the website address and they could access them at will. I kept up with it (somewhat) because I thought it nice to have everything organized in electronic photo albums. Plus its also a way to have them backed up. Here's the address if you want to get an idea (gracehappens.myphotoalbum.com) - I liked the idea of being able 'design' photo albums.

On my computer, they're now just in iphoto.

Brandie

Janine,

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your albums with me. Do you and/or family purchase pictures through that site, too? I can do something like that on snapfish, right? It looks like you only upload occassionally. Do you upload from your camera more often. Can you post pictures from that site to these forums like from flickr and photobucket?

So, I should be doing my taxes, but instead I'm wading through years worth of digital pictures. Once I get them organized, I would still need to upload ones I want to share here onto a hosting site, right?

Can you post to websites from Picasa? (Like you can from flickr and photobucket?) That runs through google, right?
Yes, there's an online component to it through Google. It's REALLY easy. Once you've put in your username and password, you can just click "upload" from Picasa and it pops it into your web album automatically. It's super easy. And getting the picture "code" to add a pic to a post is super easy too.

Janine

Brandie - yes, anyone can order pics from the site. I have been lax in uploading to the site lately, but still upload them from my camera to my computer. I know by the dates which haven't yet been uploaded to the site.

You can share photos here directly from your computer. Just use manage attachments, I think.
If you see a beach pic, it worked. That one came from my computer.

As far as uploading pics from myphotoalbum.com to this forum, let me check...
If you see a spongebob PJ pic, it worked.

They are both in the 'preview', so it should have worked.

Last edited:

Brandie

Thanks for the ideas/advice. I spent a couple hours last night trying to organize photos (instead of finding tax paperwork) and realized part of my problem. I've got three sources and when we upload from a source, we don't always purge the pictures from the source. So, if I'm going to organize by event, I've got to keep in mind that I might already have a folder started for that event. And, I need to get both of the iPhones to erase when the pictures get downloaded. I think syncing to a "favorites" folder will help convince my husband that he doesn't need 1400 pictures on his phone.

I really should get my taxes done before I get back to my pictures. It would be nice to have my files all organized before my trip next month, however. :RpS_blushing: April 15th is really just a suggested date, right? :RpS_lol:

MichaelColey

I really should get my taxes done before I get back to my pictures. It would be nice to have my files all organized before my trip next month, however. :RpS_blushing: April 15th is really just a suggested date, right? :RpS_lol:
File an extension and you'll have until October 15th. (You still have to make sure you've paid enough in by April 15th, though.) Then you can focus on your pictures and put off the taxes for another six months. ;)

Picasa has sorted through my 36,000 pictures and I've identified nearly 200 people. The facial recognition works surprisingly well. Even for Buzz, Woody, Cinderella, Belle, etc. :) Still have a ton of suggested matches to review. I'm having problems with a bunch of duplicates (it looks like I have 2-3 copies of some pictures in various locations.)

Brandie

We'll be filing an extention regardless of when I get my stuff done. Without my stuff, however, we won't know how much to pay by April 15th. Crazy how that works, huh?

Michael, when you say you're having problems with a bunch of duplicates, does that mean that Picasa finds them and helps you get rid of them, or does it mean it stalls Picasa and you have a technical difficulties? Or, is the problem that you have to go into your system and find the dupes?

MichaelColey

No, nothing with Picasa. I just have a lot of duplicate copies that I would like to eliminate. Picasa finds all of them, so I have 2-6 of some photos. There's an option to find duplicates, but it doesn't seem to make the process much easier.

When I first started with digital photos (7-8 years ago?), I created one folder with just a straight dump from the camera, then a separate folder that I had cleaned up (rotated, deleted black/blurry pictures, grouped into "event" sub-folders, etc.). Then I made automatic backups to other computers. If I renamed things or moved things around, my backups ended up having both the old and new. I've had a few crashes over the years, so restoring from the backups brought those additional duplicates on to my main computer. It's a monumental task to clean up now, because the last thing I would want to do is to delete the wrong stuff and end up losing something.

Brandie

Picasa is online storage, right? If so, when your computer crashes or you accidentally delete you've got a copy online. Can you order pictures to purchase from Picasa?

Picasa is online storage, right? If so, when your computer crashes or you accidentally delete you've got a copy online. Can you order pictures to purchase from Picasa?
Picasa you download to your computer. You can upload to Picasa Web Albums. From there you can order prints though: Walgreens
RITZPIX
Printed Art
Shutterfly
Snapfish
American Greetings PhotoWorks
fotoflōt
Lifepics

You can see more about Picasa Web Albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/