Plagiarized news from the DVC Annual Meeting

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
From DVCMike on the DISboards:

Highlights:
Grand Floridian announced! Opening end of 2014.
On-line booking starts gradually beginning Jan 19
DVC members will be able to purchase Tables in Wonderland without an AP
More TV channels including FOX News
Point reallocations are coming again
Vacation planner being mailed tomorrow – handed out at meeting

I know there's another post about the GF DVC.

I'm mostly excited about the TiW card without an AP - I would totally buy that unless they jack up the price. (Well and provided I was better than break-even on the discounts when I'm planning.)

On-line booking. Great idea. Terrified about the execution given Disney's stellar IT history. :RpS_scared:

lisapennie

does judge
Yeah, definitely psyched about the TiW - we don't go down more than once a year very often with airfare as high as it is, and our trips aren't long enough to justify an AP - but we eat almost all TS meals. That will be a huge cost savings for us.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
The TiW is one that I might seriously look into. That could actually make me give up the DDP on future trips or at least make me really look at the numbers. I'll just need to figure out away for the family we bring to not worry about the costs of things and just enjoy whatever they want to eat!!

lisapennie

does judge
The TiW is one that I might seriously look into. That could actually make me give up the DDP on future trips or at least make me really look at the numbers. I'll just need to figure out away for the family we bring to not worry about the costs of things and just enjoy whatever they want to eat!!
Do they pay for the dining plan, or do you? Because if you do - I might just fib and tell them that you have a dining plan, if they'd likely not order for fear of spending too much of your money. I've run the numbers, and for the way we eat - TiW will definitely be a better option over the dining plan. It would allow us to do the primarily TS eating we like, but not be locked into getting what Disney wants us to get. I'm just as likely to order two appetizers for my entree as I am to order an actual entree, so it will open up some additional options we haven't had even on the Deluxe plan in the past (and it's not at all shabby that alcohol gets discounted as well - I have been know to enjoy an adult beverage or two over the years).

MichaelColey

Yeah, definitely psyched about the TiW - we don't go down more than once a year very often with airfare as high as it is, and our trips aren't long enough to justify an AP - but we eat almost all TS meals. That will be a huge cost savings for us.
Have you considered staggering your trips so that you can get APs every other year? For instance, go December this year and November next year and the AP covers both trips. With the DVC discount, an AP ($446) is cheaper than two 3+ day MYW base tickets ($247 each).

One fringe benefit of this is that if an airfare sale pops up, you can take a "cheap" extra trip. You'll already have park passes and you can stay off site affordably (and still get free parking at Disney with the AP). Also, it lets you park hop (which we normally avoid, but it does come in handy sometimes).

lisapennie

does judge
Have you considered staggering your trips so that you can get APs every other year? For instance, go December this year and November next year and the AP covers both trips. With the DVC discount, an AP ($446) is cheaper than two 3+ day MYW base tickets ($247 each).

One fringe benefit of this is that if an airfare sale pops up, you can take a "cheap" extra trip. You'll already have park passes and you can stay off site affordably (and still get free parking at Disney with the AP). Also, it lets you park hop (which we normally avoid, but it does come in handy sometimes).
In the past, that wasn't an option because I was both in grad school and teaching, so I was pretty much locked into a specific schedule. That's not the case so much now, and I'm hoping with being done with school that disposable income is going to go up as well - it's something we would have loved to do, but my schedule with taking classes at one school and and teaching at at least one additional school never really allowed.

blyday

Do they pay for the dining plan, or do you? Because if you do - I might just fib and tell them that you have a dining plan, if they'd likely not order for fear of spending too much of your money. I've run the numbers, and for the way we eat - TiW will definitely be a better option over the dining plan. It would allow us to do the primarily TS eating we like, but not be locked into getting what Disney wants us to get. I'm just as likely to order two appetizers for my entree as I am to order an actual entree, so it will open up some additional options we haven't had even on the Deluxe plan in the past (and it's not at all shabby that alcohol gets discounted as well - I have been know to enjoy an adult beverage or two over the years).
Yes....we pay for it. I worry about lying......I'm really not good at it and DH is horrible at it. That said......we still might give it a try.

BTW....does anyone know when this will all become effective? I mean.....will it be around for our upcoming trip in May? It will just be DH and I and I'll have to crunch the numbers but we are not planning on using a DP this time so having a discount could be nice!!

Darcie

board on easywdw.com
I think you could call TIW a dining plan (program?) & not be lying. If you put cash down on your room at the beginning of your trip it could even be called a pre-paid dining plan.

For us, TIW has always worked out to be more cost efficient than the DDP.

mdsd8700

don't ask me to spin in circles
From DVCMike on the DISboards:

Highlights:
Grand Floridian announced! Opening end of 2014.
On-line booking starts gradually beginning Jan 19
DVC members will be able to purchase Tables in Wonderland without an AP
More TV channels including FOX News
Point reallocations are coming again
Vacation planner being mailed tomorrow – handed out at meeting

I know there's another post about the GF DVC.

I'm mostly excited about the TiW card without an AP - I would totally buy that unless they jack up the price. (Well and provided I was better than break-even on the discounts when I'm planning.)

On-line booking. Great idea. Terrified about the execution given Disney's stellar IT history. :RpS_scared:
Have to agree about the TiW Card, that is what I am most excited about as well. As Vicki says the on-line booking is a great idea, but terrified about the execution. The dinner reservation system has always worked well for me, but this seems like something much different.

The point reallocation leaves me wondering a bit, how much it will change. We haven't been members that long and have only taken 3 trips with points so we have no real basis for being used to the charts allocated in a certain way. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

lisapennie

does judge
I think you could call TIW a dining plan (program?) & not be lying. If you put cash down on your room at the beginning of your trip it could even be called a pre-paid dining plan.

For us, TIW has always worked out to be more cost efficient than the DDP.
That's what I was thinking - it's a dining program.

When I've run the numbers, it wouldn't be hard to save enough money on TiW to justify it if you eat a fair number of TS meals.

blyday

That's what I was thinking - it's a dining program.

When I've run the numbers, it wouldn't be hard to save enough money on TiW to justify it if you eat a fair number of TS meals.
I have no doubt that with 8+ people.....we will save with the TiW....I just wish that I knew that I could beat out people like DH's oldest sister who I know will put limits on her kids if she knows we are paying for it and DMom who is the same way. Of course, now that DMom doesn't have DDad to push around....she might be okay. I think that the others will go along with it though. Will I need to TiW cards though with the larger groups? We've never really looked at it as an option before so I don't know all of the rules.....guess I need to do some research!!!

lisapennie

does judge
I have no doubt that with 8+ people.....we will save with the TiW....I just wish that I knew that I could beat out people like DH's oldest sister who I know will put limits on her kids if she knows we are paying for it and DMom who is the same way. Of course, now that DMom doesn't have DDad to push around....she might be okay. I think that the others will go along with it though. Will I need to TiW cards though with the larger groups? We've never really looked at it as an option before so I don't know all of the rules.....guess I need to do some research!!!
From what this says, ten can use it at a time.

lisapennie

does judge
Awesome....thanks so much for the link Lisa!!!
There's a reason I'm your friendly neighborhood dining mod - I've looked up things related to Disney dining that I'm not sure I'll ever partake in (do you know how hard it is to find info on dining at Disney Paris?) :RpS_rolleyes: