Planning used to be fun

jeep63

I guess I'll add my voice to the un-fun nature of planning a DW trip these days.

Our long planned 2020 trip was cancelled on 3/13 (the day we were scheduled to leave). We pushed to June of 21.

Here we are planning for our June Trip 6/1 - 6/7. Our typical arrival and departure dates are never park days, more get settled days.

We are staying at Boardwalk Villas since we are big EP/HS people, and we typically park hop (not sure if I'm going to add park hoping yet).

We have a day reserved in each park with an extra day for HS, to double our chances of RoR access.

EP hours are pretty abysmal, but we can have a family breakfast together which typically never happens with early risers leaving to catch rope drop.

Here is my basic schedule.
snapshot.png

I'm going the week after you. This family hasn't roped dropped in YEARS. Its gonna be tough. My planner page is full of notes and times to move to the next ride. We are planning more on food experience this trip and not so much rides. We don't normally have a sit down table service meal every night but will on this vacation. Fingers crossed they extend hours.

merbears

How else would you properly plan? I have added conditional formatting to my sheet this round coz I am an excel geek. Hee hee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I went from handwritten notes on paper, which i cut to wallet size, to using the Notes app on my phone. Color coding is another world of planning dedication.

RetroCOTfan

Ultimately, using a planning spreadsheet like this saves me time/energy explaining things. I'm the "planner" for our family, but they all love having a plan and knowing what to expect. So before I had a sheet like this, multiple times a day on our trip I'd be answering questions about what's up next, where we're going for dinner, what time do we have to get up tomorrow, etc. Now, I just grant everyone access (read-only access, of course) to the Google Drive doc, and the questions vanished. Plus, we get to work on it together pre-trip, because we all derive a great deal of enjoyment from the planning process. It's a win/win!

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Ultimately, using a planning spreadsheet like this saves me time/energy explaining things. I'm the "planner" for our family, but they all love having a plan and knowing what to expect. So before I had a sheet like this, multiple times a day on our trip I'd be answering questions about what's up next, where we're going for dinner, what time do we have to get up tomorrow, etc. Now, I just grant everyone access (read-only access, of course) to the Google Drive doc, and the questions vanished. Plus, we get to work on it together pre-trip, because we all derive a great deal of enjoyment from the planning process. It's a win/win!
Exactly why I do it. Do the homework ahead of time and it's less thinking while on vacation.