Poly DVC getting scaled back.

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
It appears that Disney is having second thoughts about a large DVC expansion at the Polynesian. Here is the link from Tikiman:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/224-july-news

Quick synopsis:
1. The two larger T shaped buildings seem to be out of the plans now.
2. It appears that the main DVC addition will be converting Tahiti to a DVC longhouse.
3. Right now the bungalows are still in the plan but less of them.
4. Unknown about the expansion of the quiet pool and addition of the lazy river.
5. Trader Sam's coming to the Polynesian.
6. Big revamp of the Great Ceremonial House in the making, currently plans are to do away with the indoor water feature.

texhanddoc

I wonder how sales at GFV are going...
That was my pretty much what I asked of Tikiman. My guess is VGF sales are sluggish and Disney has decided that with sales going poorly combined with a lot of Disney purists complaining of defiling the sacred Polynesian, they should hold back for now.

Micah008

I wonder if this a way to turn it into 2 phases, start with the easy one and then come back later to do additional new buildings. They could even do another DVC in-between with more rooms/points available.

They will need to start working on something larger since AKV will sell out within 1 year at the pace it is going, and VGF will sell out within 2-4 years, and then they will need something to sell. A very small Poly won't last long.

Marianna

That's interesting. That's a lot of rooms going out of regular circulation.

They should turn MK's Tiki Room into a Trader Sam's. I'm a huge nostalgia buff, but that show is not aging well at all.

bnoble

he's right
Until site plans are filed with the South Florida Water Management District, I'd treat everything with a grain of salt.

texhanddoc

Until site plans are filed with the South Florida Water Management District, I'd treat everything with a grain of salt.
True. Although I dont know this, I am guessing that Tikiman has a source somewhere in the Polynesian development and planning think tank. He is probably getting reports about possible changes long before they attempt to get funded.

Micah008

True. Although I dont know this, I am guessing that Tikiman has a source somewhere in the Polynesian development and planning think tank. He is probably getting reports about possible changes long before they attempt to get funded.
He for sure has a source. He has also said he is seeing real drawings of all these plans. Obviously they are preliminary though.

Last edited:

bnoble

he's right
He should be careful. Disney had been something of a sieve for a while there, but in the past year or two, they've been known to seed potential leaks with fake plans to see who is telling tales out of school.

Micah008

Plans were filed yesterday. It looks like they are doing 20 Villas over the water, and redoing Tahiti.

Micah008

Here is a picture based on the plans filed with the South Florida Water Management District. Basically this just connects the dots of the locations of each of the pillars out in the water in the plans, and layers it over Google Maps images. I didn't do anything additional. Hope this helps people visualize.

The plans also show a lot of landscaping and changes to paths around Tahiti and Rapa Nui, and also expanding the parking lot near Rapa Nui.

marlaine

What will that do to the view from Hawaii? We stay in the same room every year--2501. Absolutely the perfect view from the room! I'll be sick if it changes things for Hawaii! :(

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
What will that do to the view from Hawaii? We stay in the same room every year--2501. Absolutely the perfect view from the room! I'll be sick if it changes things for Hawaii! :(
I imagine only first floor views will be affected, if at all. The "view" from there is rather pathetic anyway, IMHO.

Micah008

From something I read on a different board (not DIS) they said it looks like the top of these new buildings will be at a similar elevation as the ground floor of the existing buildings. If true, you would look right over them when trying to see fireworks/etc.