Possible adults only trip—feeling a little guilty....

nolarookie

Grandma is available the weekend we want to go, so it looks like we’re planning an adults only trip!

We broached the subject with the kids. The 13 year old was totally fine with it. The 11 year old admitted he would be jealous, but after we told him we planned to spend a lot of tome in world showcase, he was less so.

My guilt has subsided, somewhat, and is replaced with anticipation. Also, I know, rationally, I should not feel guilty for a whole host of reasons. Also, I think we’ll be doing enough different things that we won’t feel like we’re on a family trip without the rest of our family.

I’ve priced out a few options and I think we’re staying somewhere cheap on 192 in Kissimmee the first night, we’ll be driving so likely get in very late, then planning on staying 4 nights at POFQ. Which will be new to us, and seems much more “adult” than other places we’ve stayed with our kids.

Thanks for the encouragement to take a couples trip!

Disneyfan

Oh wow! Excited for you!!

When you go on an adult trip, you can do the adult things, such as the World Showcase, without the kids getting bored and making you feel anxious and taking away a little of the enjoyment. On the other hand, you can do the kiddie things such as Pooh and be real excited without the teens rolling their eyes.:RpS_biggrin: Chances are Grandma will spoil the kids as only Grandmas can. I hope your trip is enjoyable and as stress free as possible.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
planning on staying 4 nights at POFQ. Which will be new to us, and seems much more “adult” than other places we’ve stayed with our kids.
It is more "adult" IMO. You'll love POFQ. It's by far our favorite moderate, and we probably like it more than many of the deluxes too. The lack of a TS restaurant is the biggest negative, but POR is right next door...

Rhody123

I have 2 girls, 12 and 13. My best friend is a DVC member and last year said she was planning an all ladies trip. I had a pang of guilt but am so excited to be going. There are 7 of us going for a week and staying at Bay Lake. My kids have been to Disney 3 times and love it but I have less guilt about it as time goes on. My husband wants to go other places on family trips, which I totally understand. Because of my friend's DVC, a 2 bedroom is costing us $200 each (maintenance fee) for the week and I bought my plane ticket with points. My only real cost will be food and my park hopper. GO have fun!!!

Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr
^The above Aug/Sep 5-day trip was horrible for me as I had the flu and the weather was disgusting, hot and rainy. My husband surprised me with an adults only long weekend 2 months later in Oct for my Halloween BDay. It was an easy decision as my 14yo already used schooldays for yearly WDWs and couldn't afford anymore absences, plus he's joined all the other numerous trips. At the time he totally took it in stride and as time passed he occasionally griped he didn't go that time, mostly in jest.

I agree with your Oct pick. The weather is Mighty Fine! And I think there's equal (but small) chances of ice/snow delays in Dec as hurricane/storm delays in Oct. Crowds yes, but I can't see Oct being worse than Dec here either. Holiday season feels like there'd be more regret not being with the kids and possibly missing some last minute seasonal event with them. Dec can get pretty hectic.

Your adult trip should feel guiltless. Your kids have visited plenty and will continue on future trips. It's important Mom & Dad get some time away to relax and enjoy each other's uninterrupted company... that is very good for your whole family. Would you feel less guilty going to a different 'adult' destination? You absolutely shouldn't :D A special souvenir couldn't hurt either. We did the same.

Oct turned out to be a fantastic trip for us. Have a fabulous anniversary!

nolarookie

Thanks guys, we’re excited. I don’t think we’ll tell the kids we’re planning on doing MNSSHP, since they’ve never been to a hard ticket party.

kmc8826

I am glad you are doing and October is a great time to go. We just got back from a short Anniversary/RunDisney trip and it was awesome. We tried to do stuff we hadn’t done before and that made it good too. We did the Undiscovered Epcot tour which was worthwhile and does not even allow anyone under 16. (You go behind the scenes). Doing something like that might be fun for you guys.

nolarookie

So our tentative plan would be Friday-Monday:

Drive into Orlando Thursday, probably after midnight. Crash at offsite hotel.

Friday morning: check into Disney resort and bus to Epcot for F&W

Saturday: do either AK or HS, with the wacky am EMH schedule, I’m not really sure how we’d tackle this day yet. I’ll be following Josh’s posts on these to figure that out. I’m not inclined to purchase hoppers at this point.

Sunday: Brunch at DS, MNSSHP party night

Monday: Epcot again

Tuesday: head home

Mrs Darling

That sounds great!
one thing you might want to think about is scheduling a romantic dinner (or 2) at a restaurant you wouldn't normally do with the kids. We really enjoyed Tiffens on our trip and isn't somewhere we would take the kids due to both their tastes & cost ( one would be after the $$ steak & the other would have us buying $30 chicken fingers or something :RpS_wink:)
We ended up there & Monsieur Paul because we could have a bit more adult experience while maximizing park time.

nolarookie

That sounds great!
one thing you might want to think about is scheduling a romantic dinner (or 2) at a restaurant you wouldn't normally do with the kids. We really enjoyed Tiffens on our trip and isn't somewhere we would take the kids due to both their tastes & cost ( one would be after the $$ steak & the other would have us buying $30 chicken fingers or something :RpS_wink:)
We ended up there & Monsieur Paul because we could have a bit more adult experience while maximizing park time.
Yes! I’d like to try Tiffins. Id like to plan dinner for Saturday so it’ll depend on where we go. Im thinking Brown Derby if HS or Tiffins In AK. If we can’t get reservations I think we’ll do Nomad Lounge or the Brown Derby Lounge for drinks and food. We may end up doing that anyway!

I think we’ll have to check out Trader Sam’s at some point also... maybe before MNSSHP.

kgillen

Enjoy! My wife and I did a quick, adults-only anniversary trip a few years back. Just a long weekend but it was a perfect length to recharge the batteries. Spent one day at F&W and one day lounging around the pool at Hilton Bonnet Creek with dinner at Disney Springs. Have a great trip!

nolarookie

Enjoy! My wife and I did a quick, adults-only anniversary trip a few years back. Just a long weekend but it was a perfect length to recharge the batteries. Spent one day at F&W and one day lounging around the pool at Hilton Bonnet Creek with dinner at Disney Springs. Have a great trip!
Thank you! Really looking forward to it.

My husband and I did a F&W centered trip a few years ago. We decided to go back by ourselves about 6 months after our first family trip. We missed the kids but really enjoyed exploring the parks at our own pace. The highlight for us was doing some of the low cost seminars. They just released the schedule for this year. I recommend taking a look over it and doing any of those that may interest you. It's pretty much impossible to do with kids (some require you to be 21 and older if they serve alcohol) so take advantage of those if they interest you.

nolarookie

My husband and I did a F&W centered trip a few years ago. We decided to go back by ourselves about 6 months after our first family trip. We missed the kids but really enjoyed exploring the parks at our own pace. The highlight for us was doing some of the low cost seminars. They just released the schedule for this year. I recommend taking a look over it and doing any of those that may interest you. It's pretty much impossible to do with kids (some require you to be 21 and older if they serve alcohol) so take advantage of those if they interest you.
Thanks, I’ll have to look into those.

nolarookie

How far in advance would y’all recommend getting MNSSHP tickets? That would be the only part of the trip that would be non-refundable. My dog is having a health issue. She’s having a mass removed from her back on Wednesday, so I’d like to put off booking this trip until I know what we’re dealing with concerning our dog. It would be for a party the weekend prior to Halloween. I’d like to put off purchasing at least a month....

Anne

How far in advance would y’all recommend getting MNSSHP tickets? That would be the only part of the trip that would be non-refundable. My dog is having a health issue. She’s having a mass removed from her back on Wednesday, so I’d like to put off booking this trip until I know what we’re dealing with concerning our dog. It would be for a party the weekend prior to Halloween. I’d like to put off purchasing at least a month....
Here is Touringplans 2018 post about picking a party (it looks like the 2019 post should be out soon).

https://touringplans.com/blog/2018/05/30/least-crowded-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-of-2018/

While their actual predictions aren't that helpful, they have a table showing historical data about which party dates have sold out and how far in advance. If you are going right at Halloween then those can sell out months in advance. But most don't sell out, or if they do, it's just 1-2 days in advance.

nolarookie

Good news! Things have fallen into place and we’ve been able to book our adults-only trip. Purchased the tickets today while watching college game day at WDW.:RpS_laugh:

We’ll have have 3-day park tickets and MNSSHP tickets for Sunday night. My itinerary is, um, ambitious.

Here our rough plan:

Leave work earlyish on Thursday, get home to throw bags in the car and kiss the kids goodbye and drive to Gainesville.

Friday, drop off car and check in at POFQ and bus to Epcot for F&W.

Now here’s where thing could get dicey—Saturday go to HS for the 6am EEMH. We’re used to early mornings, but this is going to hurt as I fully intend to stay at Epcot til closing and hitting the F&W booths hard the night before. Anyway, I think we’ll drive to HS to avoid any transportation issues. We have 10:30 am reservations at Oga’s. We’ll definitely be heading back for a nap and returning for fireworks or whatever in the evening.

Sunday-we have 11am brunch reservations at STK in DS, and it’s our MNSSHP party night. So the plan will be to get there right at 4.

Monday—AK

Tuesday—return to reality.

Time to start planning our MNSSHP costume , will likely be lame, and my FP window opens Monday. Getting excited!