Possible adults only trip—feeling a little guilty....

BSS

I'm so excied for you! You'll have a great time! Sure, your SWGE morning will hurt, but at least it's just the two of you. We had to move our Oct trip to January and the only thing DS is upset about is that we'll miss Food and Wine.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
So the plan will be to get there right at 4.
I don't know if you plan on meeting any characters or not but, if you are (or even if you're not!), I'd highly recommend getting there closer to 3:30. We went to the first party on the 16th and got there around that time and the lines for the party entrance were insane! Didn't help that there was really no organization whatsoever. Then, when you get through the tap style, there was only 2 people putting wristbands on and handing out party maps. They did open up more tap styles once they started letting people through, but by then it was too late for us to jump over. They did start letting us in around 3:45, maybe 3:50, so that was good. We were in line for Jack and Sally at exactly 4:00.

nolarookie

Thanks for the tip, we’ll plan on getting there a little early. We don’t have much interest in meeting characters. The only one I’d line up for is Elvis stitch, but my husband will likely need convincing.

Mrs Darling

Thanks for the tip, we’ll plan on getting there a little early. We don’t have much interest in meeting characters. The only one I’d line up for is Elvis stitch, but my husband will likely need convincing.
What if you went as Lilo & Stitch? Then you'd have to get the photo, right? I mean, it'd practically be mandatory!

nolarookie

What if you went as Lilo & Stitch? Then you'd have to get the photo, right? I mean, it'd practically be mandatory!
Lol! I’d have a harder time selling that costume. My husband is more like, I’ll wear a captain America shirt, and he’s done.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
You will LOVE your trip! WDW is a whole different place when traveling without kids.

nolarookie

You will LOVE your trip! WDW is a whole different place when traveling without kids.
Thanks! We are really looking forward to it. As the planning person, I’m already feeling the difference. I may not have to go through the bag check line!

nolarookie

I made my FPs this morning. I did not attempt to make FPs for the MNSSHP ticket, fearing it would kick out my FPs on the following day for AK.

FYI, I was able to get evening FP for SDD for the second day of our trip, and I had a great selection for FOP for the last day of our trip (63 days out).

nolarookie

Ok, now that all my stuff is booked and my planning is done, I’m getting peppered with emails from Disney about random stuff. They asked me to attend a DVC sales pitch, and in exchange they’ll give us a $50 gift card. I was momentarily swayed by the gift card offer, but knowing I’m not interested didn’t seem fair to the sales people. Then today I got an email about Golden Oak, the Disney subdivision....

I think I’ve crossed some magical threshold where I’ve booked so many trips they start thinking I’m serious about my WDW fandom and want to kick it up a notch.

mgarbowski

I got the Golden Oaks email also. I seem to get one about twice every year starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I would love to have $2+ million to spend on a luxury home in the middle of WDW and nowhere near my job, but...

George

My real estate brokerage company gets Golden Oak e-mails all the time. Those Olive Gardens on Steroids do nothing for me. There's absolutely no subtlety to them. And you're required to use one of several styles. No thanks.

nolarookie

My real estate brokerage company gets Golden Oak e-mails all the time. Those Olive Gardens on Steroids do nothing for me. There's absolutely no subtlety to them. And you're required to use one of several styles. No thanks.
Yep, I’m not a fan. And starting at $2million.... nope!

mgarbowski

You people are harshing my dream of independent wealth and living at Disney World! Grant me those two things and I'll live in a clown house!

Anne

Are there onsite benefits to having a home in Golden Oaks? Otherwise I'd rather build a custom vacation home with the $2 million disposable vacation $ that I don't actually have ;-)

nolarookie

Are there onsite benefits to having a home in Golden Oaks? Otherwise I'd rather build a custom vacation home with the $2 million disposable vacation $ that I don't actually have ;-)
I don’t know, but I’ve got $2 million for a vacation house, I’d imagine I could purchase whatever park perks I desire.

mgarbowski

It looks like some combination of regular onsite benefits, plus some DVC and AP style stuff thrown in: EMH, 60-day FP+, access to a special Golden Oak AP ( I think you get a few free ones for a limited time after you first purchase), access to Top of the World, the DVC lounge in Epcot, invites to signature experiences, etc. For $2mm and up I'd expect free AP for at least 2 people for life, but this seems to cover at least the minimum necessary to tie in to WDW.

Anne

It looks like some combination of regular onsite benefits, plus some DVC and AP style stuff thrown in: EMH, 60-day FP+, access to a special Golden Oak AP ( I think you get a few free ones for a limited time after you first purchase), access to Top of the World, the DVC lounge in Epcot, invites to signature experiences, etc. For $2mm and up I'd expect free AP for at least 2 people for life, but this seems to cover at least the minimum necessary to tie in to WDW.
Sign me up for the clown house!

cboyer

In addition to the $2 million up front, it is also something like $20k a year in HOA dues. That alone I would expect AP for life, plus a lot of other benefits.

George

In addition to the $2 million up front, it is also something like $20k a year in HOA dues. That alone I would expect AP for life, plus a lot of other benefits.
At which cost would you not expect APs for life plus other benefits? $20,000/year in HOA dues isn’t an unreasonable amount for properties of that size, amenities, costs to keep the grounds up, maintenance, etc. This comes to $1,666/month for a $2MM+ property which probably has to carry hurricane insurance, among other things. That HOA fee is more or less what an approaching-higher-end 2BR/2BA condo in Chicago would run.