Pressed pennies

ThemeParkCommando

Well that is sad! I was just starting to gather some quarters for our trip! I agree the crank machines are half the fun of collecting. Love all of this information - Especially all of the resources for where to go, etc.!

Of course my husband opened his new 50th mystery pin set in front of the kids and now they said they want to start collecting pins. I suppose any information about pin trading/collecting would be welcome now, too!
Pin trading is a lot of fun, too. If your kids see a CM with pins on a lanyard or a vest, they can ask if they can trade a pin. Sometimes, you'll find a person with a pin book set up outside a shop, or the resorts have pin trading boards open at certain times of the day. I know there is a pin traders shop in Disney Springs, too. Sometimes a pin trader will set up there.

I like to pin trade, but it's way more fun to watch the kids do it. I'll trade with anyone if they ask. I try to walk around with a very prominent pin lanyard, but since I'm not a CM, not many folks ask to trade with me, unless I'm near a pin trading shop.

BoSoxGal

Pin trading is a lot of fun, too. If your kids see a CM with pins on a lanyard or a vest, they can ask if they can trade a pin. Sometimes, you'll find a person with a pin book set up outside a shop, or the resorts have pin trading boards open at certain times of the day. I know there is a pin traders shop in Disney Springs, too. Sometimes a pin trader will set up there.

I like to pin trade, but it's way more fun to watch the kids do it. I'll trade with anyone if they ask. I try to walk around with a very prominent pin lanyard, but since I'm not a CM, not many folks ask to trade with me, unless I'm near a pin trading shop.
Oh fun! I’m trying to decide about lanyard for the kids. I feel like it could go several ways from loving to wear one, stabbing themselves with pins, losing pins, or being over it quickly leaving us to carry them lol are there other easy options besides lanyards for kids or is that the safest bet? I’ve seen bags meant to carry/show them off but I think that would be hard for them at 5 and 7 yo!

Mrs Darling

Oh fun! I’m trying to decide about lanyard for the kids. I feel like it could go several ways from loving to wear one, stabbing themselves with pins, losing pins, or being over it quickly leaving us to carry them lol are there other easy options besides lanyards for kids or is that the safest bet? I’ve seen bags meant to carry/show them off but I think that would be hard for them at 5 and 7 yo!
My advice would be that before you start pin trading, buy some locking backs. the minute they fall in love with a pin, that’s the one they are guaranteed to loose. If they look really excited about one, lock that sucker down quick! Trust me.
The last few trips, I bought packages off Amazon from places that reviews claimed had legit pins, and we had the kids take turns picking so they had a variety that they liked, and some they would be willing to trade. On an earlier trip, I bought them a Disney starter lanyard & pins, they loved them all and wouldn’t trade, so kinda missed the point.
I have just a few meaningful ones that i keep on my purse that I use at Disney. Ive noticed recently there are now some really cute purses now specifically made for that if you want to check them out.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
Just seeing this thread as I have been off the forums for a while, but am back... kind of disappointing to hear the old-style machines are being replaced with the fully-automatic ones. Over the course of 35+ trips our kids must have 50 or more pressed pennies from WDW. We always took pre-1982 pennies because they are nearly pure copper and pressed rather nicely. The 1983 and later pennies are mostly zinc which, when pressed, have silver striations throughout and don't look nearly as nice. I would expect that the slugs (they're not true pennies I don't believe) used by the fully-auto machines are zinc-based versus pure copper. Could be mistaken though...

Strangeite

My advice would be that before you start pin trading, buy some locking backs.
this-pointing-finger.gif

G00fydad

Locking Pin Backs Set

Do they sell them at the parks???

You'd be better served getting them from eBay. They'd be cheaper too. I used some for my military and EMS insignia after losing a few things to "scuffles". They will save you some headaches.