Problems with the new layout?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
If you're seeing any oddities, can you let me know so I can see if they're fixable?

3dadknight

I clicked through all the items in the drop down menu on the mobile version (not sure what the desktop version looks like yet). Everything worked great except the Epcot touring. The menu has "Theme Park Touring" followed by the with and without Soarin selections. I was initially drawn to select "Theme Park Touring" and it took me nowhere. On the mobile version there is nothing to indicate that the "with Soarin" and "without Soarin" are sub-topics of "Theme Park Touring" except a couple of times clicking then an "ah-ha moment."

Otherwise, the new site looks fantastic.

mandi5379

Looks great to me on both mobile and PC. I have the with and without Soarin options on my iPhone without issue. Well done! So much easier to navigate.

3dadknight

Hmmmmm okay, thanks. I'll see what can be done about that.
Just to be clear- the "With Soarin" and "without Soarin" links worked fine. It just seemed like the theme park touring link would take you to a general Epcot touring page. Nothing major -just the one little quirk I noticed.

Micah008

The new site looks great, I really like it! And I love that it works well on mobile much better than the old site.

Most of the issues I noticed in the first hour are now fixed, except for the few pesky links I emailed you about.

One thing I have noticed as I have used the new site more is that there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the screen. I would recommend finding a way to move your logo, since it currently ends up taking up that entire header area, most of which is white/unused space, and spans the entire width of the screen. On smaller screens (shorter especially) this ends up taking up a significant portion of the screen height, not leaving as much for the actual content.

Here is what it looks like on my Chromebook:

My quick (rough) ideas of how it could look to leave much more room for content, just by moving the logo.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I see what you're saying. There should probably be a landing page there rather than just the two categories.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The new site looks great, I really like it! And I love that it works well on mobile much better than the old site.

Most of the issues I noticed in the first hour are now fixed, except for the few pesky links I emailed you about.

One thing I have noticed as I have used the new site more is that there is a lot of wasted space at the top of the screen. I would recommend finding a way to move your logo, since it currently ends up taking up that entire header area, most of which is white/unused space, and spans the entire width of the screen. On smaller screens (shorter especially) this ends up taking up a significant portion of the screen height, not leaving as much for the actual content.
There's going to be a big ass ad there once I can figure out how to add one.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha that's pretty much it. I don't make much money on those books, but being an affiliate link if anybody buys anything else on Amazon I occasionally get a nice commission. Somebody bought a television today. I would hug that person if I could.

Micah008

Hahaha that's pretty much it. I don't make much money on those books, but being an affiliate link if anybody buys anything else on Amazon I occasionally get a nice commission. Somebody bought a television today. I would hug that person if I could.
Do they have to buy the other items along with a book? Or can we just click on your link and then go make any normal purchases?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Any purchase. Occasionally you'll see a site that will say something like "Support us by using one of our affiliate links." MiceChat does that, among others. I may do something like that, but I never remember to do it and I doubt anyone else really does either. If everybody that visited this site went through my Amazon affiliate link, I'd be like a billionaire.

J

JulieHFJ

Will you be making the banner/tabs/logo at the top of each forum page consistent with the redesign?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Ummmmm I don't really know how. I might look into it once the dust settles.

J

JulieHFJ

Gotta disagree with Micah about that. I think the logo looks best against a white backdrop, and that it warrants a fair amount of space. And to my eye the white space to the right of it serves as a visual buffer between the blue banner with tabs across the top, and three columns of links/content below. With the current redesign the large volume of data is apparent and readily accessible, but it doesn't look crowded.

sheilashoelady

Any purchase. Occasionally you'll see a site that will say something like "Support us by using one of our affiliate links." MiceChat does that, among others. I may do something like that, but I never remember to do it and I doubt anyone else really does either. If everybody that visited this site went through my Amazon affiliate link, I'd be like a billionaire.
That is good to know. I'll try to remember to click through your page to shop!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
If you click the book on the right side of the homepage, it would take you to it.