Quick Universal Trip report

LibraryTink

It's also the reason why metal detectors are now installed on several rides---well, more accurately, a handful of idiots riding this are the reason.

These used to be timed so that they "crossed" each other several times over the course of the ride. Someone thought it might be a neat idea to throw coins at the other train at some of these crossing points, and one guest lost an eye due to injuries in such an incident. That's why the dragons no longer duel, and it led in part to the very strict loose articles policy in place now at UNI.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-10-19/travel/os-universal-dragon-challenge-20111018_1_roller-coasters-wizarding-world-theme-parks

Wow! Thanks for sharing this - I had no idea what happened to add the metal detectors. Now, I don't mind them at all.

LibraryTink

Day 2: AKA Not so Early Entry into the Wizarding World

After a very successful first day of touring, I was excited to try out the Early Entry perk. So, we got up, ate a snack in the room and walked over to IOA arriving at about 7:45. IOA was posted as opening at 9am that day. There were a few other people waiting around, but I got suspicious because no workers seemed to be getting ready for us at the gate. I finally saw someone to ask and she told me that they didn't open until 9:00. I explained to her that we were staying onsite and should be able to enter an hour earlier for the Harry Potter area. "Who hired her??" I was thinking. She looked confused and went to get backup from another worker. A couple had joined me and we were discussing how surely, she just didn't know because they understood that we should be getting in an hour early, too. Finally, another person came over and explained to us that IOA wasn't opening an hour early, only Universal Studios was opening early. My oh so intelligent response was, "But they are already opening at 8am today because they are closing early!" But they opened at 7am for onsite guests she explained. Collective "Oh No!" from the group of about 10-12 people now gathered hoping for early entry. It was now about 7:55 and we all trudged over to USF complaining about how this wasn't very well explained to any of us.

So, we might have gotten in one whole minute earlier than everyone else and all followed the path back to Diagon Alley because the only thing that opens early is the HP areas - nothing else open at all. :( Lesson learned: Ask at the ticket or concierge's desk to find out which park opens early and at what time!

We did get to ride Escape from Gringrotts with a much shorter wait and I was able to snap a few pictures in the bank area. The first time I left my phone in the locker because I was expecting the metal detectors.

stacibank.jpg
Yes, my son took the above picture and purposefully made sure the goblin appeared to be growing out of my head!

Today's "ride" picture showcasing his scary shirt:
62599_100915_114565.jpg

Oh - also after this ride I had a little issue with the lockers and wanted to warn you in case this comes up. When I went to open it after the ride, it told me the time limit was exceeded and that I needed to pay. Panic stricken at the thought of having to pay an extra $3, I started looking around for help. The locker attendant was having to go around to every terminal and change the settings for the time limits because it was trying to charge everyone. So, after a few minutes of waiting, she got to our section and I got our stuff no big deal. But I kept thinking of that silly expression, "You had ONE job!!" Why didn't she take care of that sometime between 7am - 8am? So, if the lockers every try to hold your stuff hostage go find a locker attendant and they will probably help you out without much questioning.

We took a bit more time to explore Diagon Alley after the ride. The details are really amazing throughout the entire area. There are many magical things that wands can make happen and it is generally just so well done. I could have stayed for hours and we probably did stay for at least an hour.

Luke didn't want to go but I drug him into Ollivanders and he seemed impressed and told me it was cool when we were done. There is a "cast member" playing the role of wand "master" and she (or he I suppose) selects one child to pick a wand. She picked a girl who looked to be about 10 or 11 who was wearing a HP robe/costume (key point to remember if you want to be picked.) She asked her name and replied, "Oh, I wondered when I would be seeing you!" She helped her choose a wand and let the child try a few spells with different wands. The first two messed up and then when the child received the 3rd wand, a spotlight appeared on her and cool sound effects happened. So, the wand selected the wizard. I looked at the girl's mom and she was in tears - heck, I didn't know them and I teared up after seeing that mom! Find a video online of this if you have any young HP fans because it is very, very cool.

I wanted to ride Gringotts again using the single rider line, but Luke really wasn't interested at that moment, so I let him hang out with another butterbeer and my phone while I rode. Another great advantage to traveling with a big kid. :)

The single rider line takes a very different path, no ride photo and you even go up a separate set of stairs into the ride loading area, so keep that in mind if you are ever thinking of trying it. As luck would have it, when I was the next person in line the ride broke down. I'm jinxed that way - I once walked out of Toy Story Mania with the lights on - very cool, really. Anyway, I wasn't about to leave, so I waited for about 20 minutes while they unloaded everyone and reset the ride. The funny thing was that a worker (I keep wanting to call them CMs) came out and used a big stick to press a button on the front of one of the cars - such a technical fix. They unloaded people from the cars and cycled them back through the exit to let them ride again - I was impressed with that, especially after being kicked out of TSM that time with only a paper fastpass to show for it! When I did get to ride, the people who were with me were some who got stuck on the ride the first time so I got to ask them a million questions about what happened and how everything looked. Bottom line is that this ride is not very impressive without the visual effects!

I don't think Luke even noticed I was gone longer than expected and we headed out to do a few more things. I think it was at this point that a teenaged girl complimented his shirt. Now that I was curious enough to ask he told me that the creepy marionette is from Five Nights at Freddy's - An equally creepy video game. This was not the only compliment he got on the shirt and someone even asked where he got it.

We watched the "shrunken head show" at the Knight Bus for a while and I made Luke take my picture in the phone booth that is suppose to transport you to the Ministry of Magic:
phone.jpg

In the picture below you can see the Knight Bus on the left and in the far right is King's Cross where you catch the train to IOA. The entrance into Diagon Alley is the red brick area across from the bus and to the right of King's Cross. I'm telling you this because there is no sign on the outside that explains that this is the entrance to Diagon Alley. I'm sure normally you can just follow the crowd, though. :)

DSC01681.jpg

I think we rode Mummy & Rip Ride Rocket (yes, my favorite) before heading out to walk to IOA. I wanted to walk back and take the train again but we ended up very close to the front entrance and he didn't want to walk all the way back.

As punishment I made him pose for a photo:
61390_100915_000240781.jpg

More to come of the rest of day two at IOA. Thanks for following along!

Lovedisneymagic

I love your trip report! Thank you so much for sharing!

So, we never buy park hoppers at WDW because I am a planner. ;) However, it sounds like we need park to park at US, right? And, what about purchasing one time or unlimited express (I have no idea if that is the right terms)?

Thanks again for your time and your trip report!

I went to US/IOA twice this year, and unlike Disney, the gates for both parks are right next to each other. Everything is walkable from onsite resorts. aND if you want to ride the Hogwarts express, you HAVE to have park hopper. :). I highly recommend it! It's very different from Disney. It kinda makes us disney fanatics a little crazy actually with the lack of planning necessary. ;)

What at a fun trip trip report. Thanks for sharing!

So, we never buy park hoppers at WDW because I am a planner. ;) However, it sounds like we need park to park at US, right? And, what about purchasing one time or unlimited express (I have no idea if that is the right terms)?

Kasha

I take it that your son is a Five Nights at Freddy's fan?

Interesting to see the differences with touring at Universal compared to WDW. Thanks for sharing!

TiggerGirl

It's also the reason why metal detectors are now installed on several rides---well, more accurately, a handful of idiots riding this are the reason.

These used to be timed so that they "crossed" each other several times over the course of the ride. Someone thought it might be a neat idea to throw coins at the other train at some of these crossing points, and one guest lost an eye due to injuries in such an incident. That's why the dragons no longer duel, and it led in part to the very strict loose articles policy in place now at UNI.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-10-19/travel/os-universal-dragon-challenge-20111018_1_roller-coasters-wizarding-world-theme-parks
Yes, they did almost cross and I always pulled my feet in towards myself beause I was sure I'd kick people in the other car coming at us. So sad that someone had the exact opposite thing in mind and wanted to hit the person in the other car.

Great report! Thank you for this!

LibraryTink

Enjoying your report. We are adding two days at the Royal Pacific at the end of our Disney trip in early April. Last time we were there in 2011 we stayed offsite and the 2nd HP area wasn't there.
^^This is a perfect way to do it!

Enjoying your report! I loved the Butterbeer too😊 I'm glad you had the opportunity to spend some one on one time with your son. I still go to Disney with my parents (although I meet them there) and I am almost 40:RpS_thumbup:
It really was so much fun to just have the two of us hang out - got to be fun mom and not the mom who is constantly checking up on grades and reminding him to do his chores! Also, so glad to hear that you still meet up with your parents - hopefully, one day Luke will do the same with me!

Yes - park hoppers are pretty much required if you want to experience the train between the parks. Like someone else said, the parks are so close together that park hopping is super easy and really very little planning at all is necessary. It is part of what I loved about this trip... after the first day I didn't worry about my plan at all.

I take it that your son is a Five Nights at Freddy's fan?

Interesting to see the differences with touring at Universal compared to WDW. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, apparently he is!! LOL he has worn that crazy shirt to school at least once a week since we got home, too!

Great report so far! My husband and I are leaving the kids at home with Grandma and going to Universal in early March--my first time! I'm getting excited reading about your trip.
That is a wonderful idea! If my hubby loved coasters, we would for sure do this! The only Orlando park that he really truly enjoys is Epcot... could have something to do with drinking around the world. ;-)

Aren't you all glad I figured out how to multi-quote??

LibraryTink

Day 2: Islands of Adventure

So, after trying unsuccessfully to start our day here at 8am, we finally made it to IOA - not via the train this time. We were hungry so we stopped to get a snack right after going in. Luke got a turkey leg from a cart and I got a corn dog - we were livin large, what can I say?? We grabbed a seat nearby the entry and I took some photos because I was just loving the theme of the area for some reason. I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to this entry area because I was always in a rush to get to the ride areas.

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

We worked our way around toward Super Hero Island. Again, after the first day, I completely stopped worrying about my touring plan and just went with the flow. I don't think I mentioned that the Hulk coaster was closed during our trip - kinda depressing but I'm hoping it will be amazing when it reopens. We rode Spiderman (simulator ride using 3D glasses) and Dr. Doom's Fearfall, (a quick up and drop ride). I was glad we didn't wait long for the fearfall ride, but did give us a nice view of the park. We walked back to take a look at Storm Force Acceleration, but Luke wanted to just skip it because it looked like a little larger version of the teacups.

We continued on toward the Jurassic Park area and went past these cool comic strip signs on the way.

staci.jpg

I thought this was perfect for my dear son:

luke.jpg

Luke opted to skip two water rides in the Toon Lagoon area: Rip Saw Falls, a extreme log flume ride and Bilge-Rat Barges the Universal version of Kali River Rapids.

Ironically, the next ride we hit was Jurassic River Adventure, which also gets you extremely soaked! Also, an annoying thing happened here. The lockers are not free at this ride?? They are free everywhere else in the park, but in the area where your phone or camera can get wet, they want you to pay for them. I must have rolled my eyes too high or batted my eyelashes or something because the young man working at the lockers whispered, "Just go over to that gift shop and ask for a small bag to wrap your stuff up in." I followed his advice and it worked like a charm. I'm sharing the ride photo below:

61407_100915_000163994.jpg

I think I'm at my photo limit again, but I wanted to mention something about the ride photos before breaking. I enjoyed having the unlimited photo package here, but the magic band system has really spoiled me! Here, you have to actually walk over to the photo terminal, speak to a live person and get them to scan your photoconnect card to claim the photos. I sound like the laziest person who was ever fortunate enough to visit a theme park, but it did really get old having to wait almost every time. It seemed like more often than not there were people in front of me just asking questions or wanting to see the photos and not purchasing. Also, I learned after day one that if you don't claim the photo and add it to your card that day, it is gone forever. During my last Disney trip I was able to claim photos via email days after I returned home.

Again, thanks so much for following along. The next entry will be our visit to Hogsmead for this day. :)

LibraryTink

Day 2: IOA Wizarding World yet again!

After getting wet on the Jurassic Park River adventure, I tried to talk Luke into going back to ride the other water rides, but he was ready for Harry Potter again. On the way we went past the construction for the Reign of Kong section that is opening sometime next year. From what we could see, it is looking great! I am still amazed at how fast Universal seems to get things done. I watched 7DMT construction for two years in a row in Jan 2013 & Feb 2014 and it seems like they have already been working on Pandora for years...

Anyway, there was a photographer on the bridge on the way to Hogsmead, so we stopped for a few photos:

61699_100915_000200465.jpg
There are not nearly as many photographers at Universal as there are at WDW, so I was excited to find someone to take a picture in front of Hogwarts.

The one below is with Hogsmead village in the background.

61699_100915_000200471.jpg

We made our rounds in Hogmead riding Dueling Dragons, drinking more butterbeer and finally, Forbidden Journey again. I was determined to get a better ride photo this time... didn't really happen - I have no earthly idea what I was looking at!!

62102_100915_000203271.jpg

We wandered over toward The Lost Continent section and listened to the Mystic Fountain - big rock fountain that "talks." We considered doing Poseidon's Fury, but Luke wasn't enthusiastic and the reviews of it I read were not so great so I didn't push it. We decided to head back to the hotel and go to the pool for a while before coming back to the park later that night.

This was the first time Luke talked me into riding the water taxi and I am so very glad he did!! My only experience with water transport prior to this was the ferry at MK and once when I tried to take the boat from Poly back to MK after 'OHana. Neither were very speedy and I knew that the walk to RP was very short. I reluctantly gave in and found out that my 16 year old is wise beyond his years.... or just lazy - either way, it worked for us. We never walked from the hotel to Citywalk again during the trip. There are two water taxis for each resort and they run continuously, so the most we ever waited was 5 minutes.

We went to the pool for a while and I read my kindle, waded in to cool off every so often, enjoyed an overpriced poolside beverage and dozed. The view from my lounge chair:

pool1.jpg

Next up: Sudden change of plans for the evening, but in a good way.

bnoble

he's right
Bilge-Rat Barges the Universal version of Kali River Rapids
The Barges are a hidden gem at Universal. The course of the ride is fantastic, with great theme throughout. And you will get SOAKED. Kali is a light spray in comparison.

enjoyed an overpriced poolside beverage
One of the things I liked at RPR (and wish Disney would do) is the roaming servers in the pool area that will take your order from your pool chair and deliver it to you.

speake

One of the things I liked at RPR (and wish Disney would do) is the roaming servers in the pool area that will take your order from your pool chair and deliver it to you.
They do have pool side service at Stormalong Bay. It was a pleasant surprise. And I took full advantage of it. I have not seen it at any other resort (WL, BTL, AK).

LibraryTink

The Barges are a hidden gem at Universal. The course of the ride is fantastic, with great theme throughout. And you will get SOAKED. Kali is a light spray in comparison.

Thanks for sharing more info about the Barges. We never ended up riding them and now I will for sure put it on my list for the next trip.

Completely agree about the roaming servers at the pool - it was so nice! I've never stayed Deluxe at WDW so I didn't realize this was a rare service. They also had ice water and lemon water in dispensers sitting around at the pool and in the gym and I thought this was another nice touch in the pool area. My son missed having a slide of some sort at the pool, but it didn't really bother me - I was enjoying the drinks ;-)

LibraryTink

Unplanned Fun Evening - I almost don't recognize myself!

After our break at the resort pool, the plan was to go back to Citywalk and grab something to eat and then go to IOA until closing time at 8pm. We took the water taxi over and were looking around for what we wanted to eat. I saw the theater and on the spur of the moment asked if he wanted to see a movie. We looked to see what was playing and he wanted to see The Martian. I was at first a bit worried because I had not brought any cash or way to pay other than my room key card. The theater at Citywalk takes that as a form of payment - such a nice surprise. :) So, we saw a great movie and ate popcorn for supper.

If you haven't seen this movie and have any interest at all I highly recommend it, by the way.

By the time we got out of the movie it was almost 8pm, so we just hung around Citywalk a while - it really is a fun place with live music and lots of shopping and dining/drinking options. Let me just stress again, that completely changing my plan is not a regular event for me while at WDW. I overplan and pride myself in sticking to the plan and it usually works well for me. It was such a nice change to not worry about the plan while on this trip. I wonder how I will do on my next Disney trip??

I tried to take some pictures with my phone that night because I had left the camera back at the hotel. Of course, they turned out horribly, so I won't even bore you with those. Instead, I'll add a few shots of the trip that I haven't fit into the report elsewhere - can't post without the required 5 photos.

Entrance to Universal Studios showcasing the theme movies for this year's HHN:
DSC01669.jpg

The big ugly box that is the Transformers ride - if Optimus Prime wasn't on the building it could be a factory of some sort...I guess that is the idea:
DSC01663.jpg

A photo op/"meet" with a Decepticon. I'm sure there were other times when Prime was meeting, but we never saw him.
DSC01703.jpg

This is looking down the street while walking toward the San Francisco area & ultimately the London area. That red coaster is Rip Ride Rocket:
DSC01664.jpg

The Men In Black ride area:
DSC01682.jpg

LibraryTink

Saturday - We finally made it to Early Entry :)

So, after going to the wrong park an hour late on Friday, I was determined to take advantage of the early entry on Saturday. This meant being at USF at 7am, but we did it. As I mentioned before the only thing that opens early is Diagon Alley/HP, so it was like a parade of people walking straight toward that one area. On the way back there I remember realizing that there were probably people working all night during this time of the year. I think HHN closes at 2am or so and it must take some time to move everything from that into the backstage areas and then be ready for early opening at 7am.

Anyway, we rode Gringotts again with a very short wait. I looked at the time stamp on the photo below and it was 7:11 am:

62599_101015_114794.jpg

We rode again while the wait was so short and then explored Diagon Alley some more. We found Knockturn Alley, which we had missed on the other days and checked out a few shops that we missed before. At 8am when everything else opened we did the Simpson's ride again and MIB. We walked toward the entrance and found Bart and Homer Simpson meeting and Scooby & Shaggy. Strangest thing is that there was no photographer, only the character "handlers." So, instead of using my photoconnect card, I just let Luke take pictures of me - he was thrilled not to be in the photos!

DSC01690.jpg

Don't you just love this "I've already been smoking something this early in the morning" look on Shaggy's face??

DSC01695.jpg

We saw a weird little kiddie parade go by and I snapped a quick photo - are there any Dora the Explorer fans still around??

DSC01698.jpg

We rode the ET ride since we were nearby. Luke has seen this movie, but only because I am a fan and I think he was unimpressed. I think he only agreed to ride it because he remembered it from previous visits. As I mentioned, we last visited USF/IOA when Luke was about 7 or 8 but we also came here for one day when he was 4. We were staying at Cocoa Beach and drove over two days and did USF one day and SeaWorld another. ET is right at the entrance to the Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone area and Luke also remembered loving this area when was 4. They have a coaster that is about the size of the Barnstormer here, a playground, something Barney related and something Curious George related. There is also an Animal Actors show that a family we met in line told us was pretty cute.

We had to hit the Rip Ride Rocket again (of course) and the Mummy before taking the Hogwarts Express again. I won't bore you with more ride photos, but here is the train at King's Cross station.
train.jpg

Oh - I forgot to report on this earlier, but there is a really neat visual effect when nearing the boarding area for the train. From farther back in line you see people appearing to walk through the brick wall leading to platform 9 3/4.

Break for photo limit...

LibraryTink

To Hogwarts and Back again... loving that train ride :)

So, we rode to Hogwarts/Hogsmead, got butterbeers and got back in line to ride back to King's Cross. Luke was quite annoyed with me because he couldn't understand why I wanted to ride it immediately again, but I was convinced that I needed to see the movie/effects from this direction. The queue area from the IOA side is no where near as well themed as King's Cross, but the line wasn't very long. I was worried they wouldn't let us take our unfinished butterbeers, but no one said a thing.

I was glad I insisted because the movie was just as great in this direction. The Weasleys were flying along with the train for a while and when we got back to "London" we saw the Knight bus driving through the streets. We considered riding the train right back, but the wait was longer on this end and we were ready for a break so we worked our way toward the front exit. Found a photographer on the way out who offered to do a "magic" shot:
6137_101015_000128572.jpg

For this one he told me to do something crazy/fun. Not sure why Jazz Hands was my response?
61390_101015_000244669.jpg

Also, as you can see from the above photos, I'm at this point drinking a cup of water. Turns out they will give you free water at USF/IOA just like at WDW if you ask. I love to do this at WDW and add a little flavoring - saves a lot of money on drinks and keeps me from drinking so much soda!

We took the water taxi back to RP and went to the pool area again. I never take this many breaks while at WDW either - I could get used to this! :)

Here are a couple more random photos from the day. Luke on the way from London (behind him) over to the Simpsons/MIB area:

DSC01683.jpg

We didn't do this show on this trip but we both remembered it well from the trip when he was 7/8.
DSC01688.jpg

I'll hopefully finish up in one more post tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for following along!

Lisa0620

Staci, I'm really enjoying your report! Don't feel lazy about the photo connect thing being a pain, it WAS. They never did find our picture at Jurassic park after waiting for 4 people ahead of us to hem and haw over how many pictures to order. Definitely spoiled by the magic band for that too. Bilge Rat Barges was my kids' favorite ride but there is no way around getting soaked on that ride - especially your feet/shoes. What a good mom you are to go on RRR uncomplainingly, you couldn't drag me on it. My kids are FNAF fans too and were repulsed/attracted to those shirts, so fun that your son got a souvenir he loves. Glad you posted a picture of the dixie cup sized free water they give you at Universal, definitely something that they do a little better at Disney ;). After an uber planned Thanksgiving trip to Disney I loved the spontaneity and freedom of Universal and so did my younger son. My DH and older son actually missed having "the plan" which surprised me. Sounds like a great mother/son trip, thanks for sharing.

kmc8826

Great report! It is encouraging to know that you could plan it right and do Universal in a couple days. If we just wanted to do Harry Potter stuff would you say one day or two? And maybe stay on property the night before for that advantage?

Yes my girls are spoiled. We are in Orlando doing Disney now and since they have learned to read and figured out about Harry Potter they are already talking about going to see that!

LibraryTink

Staci, I'm really enjoying your report! Don't feel lazy about the photo connect thing being a pain, it WAS. They never did find our picture at Jurassic park after waiting for 4 people ahead of us to hem and haw over how many pictures to order. Definitely spoiled by the magic band for that too. Bilge Rat Barges was my kids' favorite ride but there is no way around getting soaked on that ride - especially your feet/shoes. What a good mom you are to go on RRR uncomplainingly, you couldn't drag me on it. My kids are FNAF fans too and were repulsed/attracted to those shirts, so fun that your son got a souvenir he loves. Glad you posted a picture of the dixie cup sized free water they give you at Universal, definitely something that they do a little better at Disney ;). After an uber planned Thanksgiving trip to Disney I loved the spontaneity and freedom of Universal and so did my younger son. My DH and older son actually missed having "the plan" which surprised me. Sounds like a great mother/son trip, thanks for sharing.
Now I really wish we had done the Barges - for sure next time! I'll remember to bring a pair of flip flops to change into for the ride, though - hate to walk around in wet shoes. That RRR gave me a slight headache everytime, phew! I did manage to skip it the very last ride - sorta tricked him! ;-) I'm with you about loving the spontaneity of Universal - now that I know that, I may start alternating trips because of the freedom. Luke never missed the plan at all, just like your younger son!

Great report! It is encouraging to know that you could plan it right and do Universal in a couple days. If we just wanted to do Harry Potter stuff would you say one day or two? And maybe stay on property the night before for that advantage?

Yes my girls are spoiled. We are in Orlando doing Disney now and since they have learned to read and figured out about Harry Potter they are already talking about going to see that!
Hi Kim ~ you can totally do it in a couple days. I think you can do all of HP in one day with park to park, but you might have not time for anything else because you would have waits at everything except the first hour. If you are going to stay a night at one of the Deluxe resorts at US, you might as well go two park days because you would get express passes for both days. It would make me feel like it is more worth the money to use both days - kinda like the free parking at WDW when you do a throw away night. If you end up staying at Cabana Bay, you only get early entry not express pass, so in that case, one day might make more sense and it would save a lot. In fact, that might be the best option if you ONLY cared about seeing the Wizarding Worlds and nothing else at USF/IOAs, since they are not express anyway.

If your girls seem spoiled, then I am a very spoiled grown woman! ;-) Just consider it a reward for reading!