Raglan Road lunch Sunday 4/7/13

Marianna

I had to visit DTD Guest Services this weekend to renew my pass, and thought I'd make an afternoon of it. Pear cider was calling my name, so I dropped in to Raglan Road for their Rollicking Raglan Sunday Brunch. It was noon and I expected it to be much busier than it was. I was happy to find there were plenty of tables available, both inside where the entertainment was and outside on the patio. I chose to sit outside where it was sort of a seat yourself arrangement.

I started out with a Magner's Pear Cider and an order of onion rings. Bread was promptly delivered and the onion rings arrived shortly thereafter. This bread is a real treat. Their house made irish soda bread is rich and hearty and accompanied by an outstanding Guinness dipping sauce. Such a nice change from the usual bread service in many restaurants. If this were an item on the menu, I'd order it. It was that good. The dipping sauce was sweet without being cloying; a reduction of Guinness and sugar with a finish of olive oil. Completly addictive. The onion rings, on the other hand, I wasn't immediatly in love with. I'm accustomed to lightly crisp and slightly oily onion rings. These were crunchy, and a bit hard with much less oil. Then I noticed the bottle of malt vinegar my server had brought along with the bread. A light douse of this and a little salt and I totally got it. So good I ate the whole basket. These can also be made gluten free if you are so inclined as can several other items on the menu.

After this I had the Vroom Salad.

From their menue:Vroom Salad - Gluten free quinoa grains with cider vinegar marinated beans, sweet & sour carrots, watercress & a honey mustard dressing. Add chicken or shrimp

This was delightful. The presentation was a nice visual surprise. I enjoy stacked food when it makes sense. This was a generous portion of quinoa. Perfectly cooked so that it it was tender, yet firm enough to provide a base for the other ingredients. The quinoa has just the lightest hint of garlic and was just seasoned enough that what might have been bland or overwhelming, become fragrant. The beans, (kidney, great northern and baby lima) had a mild cider sweetness from the apple cider vinegar in which they were marinated and the layer of carrots provided both color and a pleasant balance to the garlic. They were billed as being sweet and sour, but I found them to be, as with all the ingredients, very light in their sweetness. Just enough to give them depth, yet allow the flavor of the carrot to come through. This was topped with a nice portion of crispy watercress, (love watercress for it's almost peppery bite) and drizzled with a house made honey mustard vinegrette. So often dressings take center stage and overwhelm the other ingredients, but this one was so subtle I almost forgot it was there. Provided just enough flavor and cohesiveness to bring all the other ingredients into perfect balance. Very enjoyable and quite filling given the protein from the quinoa. Highly reccommend this salad to those looking for a healthy and satisfying lunch.

I decided to skip dessert, though the menu looked good, and settled on hot tea. They offer a small, but unique selection. I chose one called Garden Tea...something like that.Very floral and fruity, with berries and rose petals. Anyway, it was a nice finish to a delightful, though maybe not so Rollicking brunch.

Last edited:

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
You had me with the salad until you said lima beans. Eeeeeew!!!

This does sound wonderful. I know my kids like the gluten free fish & chips and onion rings so I could definitely check them out some time. I wasn't aware that there would be other options for me there. Thanks!!

Marianna

Trudy, I was guessing at the beans. Could have been an edamame....? Yes, they can also make gluten free scallops and pasta and there was a nice list of side items. Love this restaurant.

I didn't go into the shop. I'd have totally picked up a jar of that. I did manage to find the recipe online, along with the bread recipe (Josh posted the bread link in his review. Looks easy to make. A dangerous thing.

I am so going back soon. My plan had actually been to try one of the egg dishes. There is one with ham that looks amazing, but this just looked so good. Next time. :)

clanmcculloch

Edamame I can handle and actually enjoy. Something about the texture of lima beans just makes me gag. I can't even make myself swallow them. Ooooh, scallops. Even my fussy 12yo will eat those. I didn't realize that Raglan Road had so many gluten free options. Thank you!

Marianna

Glad to pass it along. :) Looking over their menu, they also offer a gluten free version of their strawberry apple crumble. Yum.

clanmcculloch

I bet there's butter in the crumble. I'll definitely have to ask though (worst they can say is I can't eat it, but if I don't ask it's definitely not an option) whenever I get around to eating there. I really need to move down there so I can eat at WDW more often.

adrienne a

We will be heading there for Sunday brunch in August. Really looking forward to it. Thanks for the review! I probably would have ignored the onion rings bu now I am tempted!

D

dawn

I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering...with a 17, 20 and two adults what time is best for a dinner reservation at Raglan Road? I am thinking 8pm or later...we would like it to be fun..noise is okay

JD3

I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering...with a 17, 20 and two adults what time is best for a dinner reservation at Raglan Road? I am thinking 8pm or later...we would like it to be fun..noise is okay
8PM would be a great time. Plenty of dancing all around.