Random Stories - Better Late than Never - Jan 17

ptlohmysoul

Following. Is that a complete list of the Star Tours possibilities? We'll have to start keeping track. Thanks for the input about breakfast when at the Boardwalk. We are in ROFR right now for a contract there.

Micah008

Following. Is that a complete list of the Star Tours possibilities? We'll have to start keeping track. Thanks for the input about breakfast when at the Boardwalk. We are in ROFR right now for a contract there.
It is for sure a list of all the major things that can happen. I am not 100% sure if it is all the variants, but it was the ones I could track down info on.

Good luck in ROFR. The biggest advantages of owning there in my mind would be the Standard View rooms, and actually being able to get rooms during F&W. Both really nice to have.

pixarprincess

thanks for the monorail crawl thoughts! I was having FOMO at Josh's Highway in the Sky posts. This makes me feel better about doing it on our own! Any comments on doing this and the new security procedures at the monorail platforms?

Micah008

thanks for the monorail crawl thoughts! I was having FOMO at Josh's Highway in the Sky posts. This makes me feel better about doing it on our own! Any comments on doing this and the new security procedures at the monorail platforms?
You bet!

When we did it the security hadn't yet changed... so I can't speak to it first-hand. But it likely would slow things down a little, and personally would get me to not bring any kind of bag along on that night just to make it easier. Come to think if it, I am pretty sure I didn't bring a bag along anyway, since I didn't want to have to deal with it (therefore no camera either other than cell phones).

pixarprincess

You bet!

When we did it the security hadn't yet changed... so I can't speak to it first-hand. But it likely would slow things down a little, and personally would get me to not bring any kind of bag along on that night just to make it easier. Come to think if it, I am pretty sure I didn't bring a bag along anyway, since I didn't want to have to deal with it (therefore no camera either other than cell phones).
Yeah being female sometimes a bag is a necessity. fashionable clothes just dont have large enough pockets most of the time and my husband isnt too keen on carrying my phone everywhere for me not even to mention carrying my lip gloss or other girly-er needs. I'm hoping a small cross body bag wont slow us down too much.

I'm also a little shocked that top of the world was the cheapest! but pleasantly surprised. We enjoy going there. Fireworks with a cocktail are superior to fireworks without :RpS_lol:

Micah008

Yeah being female sometimes a bag is a necessity. fashionable clothes just dont have large enough pockets most of the time and my husband isnt too keen on carrying my phone everywhere for me not even to mention carrying my lip gloss or other girly-er needs. I'm hoping a small cross body bag wont slow us down too much.

I'm also a little shocked that top of the world was the cheapest! but pleasantly surprised. We enjoy going there. Fireworks with a cocktail are superior to fireworks without :RpS_lol:
Yeah, understood, but even minimizing the stuff you bring should make it go faster.

Part of what made TotWL the cheapest was not getting anything to eat... but even just comparing drinks there to other places, they were 'only' $9.75 and $11.00... where at Mizner's for example the drinks were $12.75 and $14.50. Of course it always depends on what you get...

evansmom

Really just enjoying the highlights you are sharing!! Maybe someday my DH will take me on an adults only trip and we can do a monorail crawl :)

3dadknight

Great report as usual. I missed having your insight before our Mardi Gras trip this year. We always seem to be about a month behind you at WDW and I've been using you trip reports over the years for advance intel. From the looks of your signature, we'll be a month behind you again next year.

natfish

Catching back up! I'm actually digging this loosey-goosey formatted report. I'm excited to take DH over to Territory Lounge for the bourbon flight next time - he's been dreaming about that private barrel Knob Creek since he learned about it. Do you recall how much extra your flight was?
P.S. If you like Angel's Envy and Blanton's (and who wouldn't) try Russel's Reserve if you can. It's been a good, new bottle in our large rotation at home.

Micah008

Great report as usual. I missed having your insight before our Mardi Gras trip this year. We always seem to be about a month behind you at WDW and I've been using you trip reports over the years for advance intel. From the looks of your signature, we'll be a month behind you again next year.
Thanks! One of these years we will have to try to actually be there at the same time.

Catching back up! I'm actually digging this loosey-goosey formatted report. I'm excited to take DH over to Territory Lounge for the bourbon flight next time - he's been dreaming about that private barrel Knob Creek since he learned about it. Do you recall how much extra your flight was?
P.S. If you like Angel's Envy and Blanton's (and who wouldn't) try Russel's Reserve if you can. It's been a good, new bottle in our large rotation at home.
Glad the format is working out. :RpS_smile:

Just so you are aware, the bourbon flight (and the Knob Creek) is available at other places too, but a few others (like Blantons) are not as easy to come by ... I am not sure exactly which places have it, and which don't though. Just keep in mind that normally the flight has specific choices, and I don't think its normal for them to do substitutions other than the normal choices. (so there isn't a standard price either) If you guys enjoy bourbon, make sure to get over to Abracadabar, they have some unique choices there too, and multiple good bourbon-based cocktails.

I have had Russel's Reserve once before and enjoyed it (Nomad Lounge uses it in their Tempting Tigress cocktail too), but maybe will have to just pickup a bottle for my stockpile at home. Thanks for the tip.

Micah008

Weather Summary

When you go to Florida in January you never know what to expect.

Since we go almost every year in January we know to plan ahead and bring clothes for all weather possibilities, and to be prepared with layers in case the weather changes throughout the day.

This year was probably the best weather we ever had. The first 8 days had highs right around 80, and lows around 60 with partly to mostly sunny each day. We were really spoiled, and loved every minute of it. It meant we could actually use the pool any day we wanted (typically tricky this time of year), I got to wear shorts every day, and I didn't even bother with bringing a jacket many of the mornings for RD.

Over the last few days of the trip we had a rainy/stormy day, and then it got slightly cooler but still into the 70s, and really wasn't bad at the end either.

Official Weather Data:

For a comparison, here was our trip the previous January. It was a very different story, with some very cool days at the beginning, and more rainy days, but even then we keep reminding ourselves that it is nicer than Wisconsin in January.

Micah008

Polynesian Resort and DVC Studio

We had never stayed at the Polynesian either, but had dinner there a few times, and walked the grounds in the past. Here are my thoughts about the Polynesian and the new DVC Studios there.

The Resort:
- I really thought the transportation was great, especially the flexibility of options that being right by the TTC provides.
- The monorail for MK is great of course, and being right next to the TTC means you can actually take either monorail (Resort or Express) when you return from MK to the resort (we took the Express at least twice, then walked.. which was actually slightly faster since there were less stops). Even having the Ferry walking distance could be a good backup plan if the Monorail is down.
- For Epcot, walking to the TTC basically provides a direct monorail option. And, in one case for us when the Epcot monorail wasn't running, they had a bus running for backup.
- The bus to HS was actually pretty quick, and although getting to AK from there takes a while it was doable the one time we went over there.
- Capt. Cooks is one of our favorite QS locations anywhere. We had lunch there when we first arrived and it was even better than we expected (we had the Hot Beef sandwich and Pork Nachos). We had breakfast a few times there too.
- Kona Cafe is also one of our favorite TS locations, which was nice to be able to go to without messing around with travel.
- The Pineapple Lanai was great to get a Dole Whip on the day we used the pool. And, they even have the Swirl version of the Dole Whip which is my favorite.
- Of course Trader Sams is a destination by itself, and was fun to be able to hit multiple nights.
- The pool was very good, and although not my favorite, it is in the top half for sure.
- The grounds around the resort are very well kept, and it was nice just to take a leisurely walk on arrival day just to check the place out.
- It was also really nice to have a Children's Activity Center right at the resort.

The Room:
- Normally staying in Studios, and often having 5 people along, we don't spend a ton of time in the room, but really came to appreciate this one.
- We were in Tokelau, in room 1938, which was a Standard View.
- This room is on the first floor (no elevators or stairs), on the very end of the building absolutely closest to the bus stop and the main building, but right next to the path over to the TTC. I think it really was the best location for everything being convenient.
- This was the most spacious studio we have stayed in, especially the bathroom areas.
- It was really convenient having 2 separate bathroom areas, each with their own shower, especially in the morning. We were able to get the 3 adults ready in the morning in less time due to it, and missed this once we moved to the BoardWalk.
- Being on the end of the first floor had one (minor) downside which was all the people walking by your room while you were sitting out on the patio. But, even that was amusing a couple times, since they didn't know we could hear their entire conversation.
- The only other real downside was the number of points it takes to stay there, which is more than most other resorts. It helped getting a Standard View, but even then it would be tough to do every trip due to the cost.

Here are some pictures of the room, and view...

Last edited:

Alcachofa

Hey, first off, love this style of TR.

A couple questions:
How was service at Kona?

Also, did I read that right? There are two bathrooms in the DVC studios at Poly?? Also, can you confirm these rooms have those little murphy beds in them? Thanks.

ptlohmysoul

The Poly studios do have the murphy bed. There are not technically 2 bathrooms, because there is only 1 toilet. But there is 2 separately enclosable areas each with a sink and a shower (by the pictures above the shower/tub combo is in the same room with the only toilet).

R&RMom

Thanks for the write up on the Poly! I stayed there as a kid, back in the days of the Dinosaurs, but can't remember much. I am really hoping my kids (8 and 11) are Ok with the pool. It does looks sort of small. However, we are staying there for the sake of convenience and theming, and it sounds like that worked really well for you guys.

pixarprincess

Glad to hear your thoughts on Poly and your room. We are staying there in June. Im also hoping for a room in Tokelau. Ideally second floor but we are also doing standard room, so we will see what we end up with. I also completely agree that the point cost is a little hard to swallow for Poly.

Micah008

Hey, first off, love this style of TR.

A couple questions:
How was service at Kona?

Also, did I read that right? There are two bathrooms in the DVC studios at Poly?? Also, can you confirm these rooms have those little murphy beds in them? Thanks.
The service at Kona was alright, but not perfect. I don't remember the exact details anymore, but I know we had an issue with the server forgetting the drink for one of my kids, and also offering to bring us more bread and then never actually bringing it. It didn't stand out as anything major for issues, but didn't stand out as excellent either.

As said by others, it isn't technically 2 bathrooms due to not having a 2nd toilet in one of them. Disney technically calls it a "split bathroom", but for getting ready in the morning it is almost as good as having 2 bathrooms when 2 different people can shower, use a sink, and have their own separate area. Here is a link which includes the layout and more pictures: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2015/04/28/photo-tour-of-a-studio-at-disneys-polynesian-villas-and-bungalows/

Also, just so you know, the Grand Floridian Villas have a similar kind of bathroom layout, but slightly different in how they organized it.

The Poly studios do have the murphy bed. There are not technically 2 bathrooms, because there is only 1 toilet. But there is 2 separately enclosable areas each with a sink and a shower (by the pictures above the shower/tub combo is in the same room with the only toilet).
You are correct, the shower/tub is in the same area as the toilet. The one with the dedicated shower (which was very nice) didn't have a toilet.

Thanks for the write up on the Poly! I stayed there as a kid, back in the days of the Dinosaurs, but can't remember much. I am really hoping my kids (8 and 11) are Ok with the pool. It does looks sort of small. However, we are staying there for the sake of convenience and theming, and it sounds like that worked really well for you guys.
I am sure they will enjoy the pool, and the slide. They are a little old for the kids water area, but the 8 year old may enjoy it.

Glad to hear your thoughts on Poly and your room. We are staying there in June. Im also hoping for a room in Tokelau. Ideally second floor but we are also doing standard room, so we will see what we end up with. I also completely agree that the point cost is a little hard to swallow for Poly.
Good luck getting Tokelau. It is a large enough building it is likely they can get you somewhere in it if you request that.