Ranking the Fantasyland Attractions

josh

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm editing all of the ride reviews, most of which are garbage. For Magic Kingdom, each Land has an introduction along with a general ranking of the attractions as "Must Visit," "Visit with Kids, but Skippable Otherwise," and Skippable With or Without Kids"

I have:

Must Visit: Peter Pan’s Flight (with FASTPASS or end of evening Extra Magic Hours if necessary), Mickey’s PhilharMagic (in the afternoon or whenever you need a break from walking)

Visit With Kids But May Be Skippable Without: Prince Charming Regal Carousel, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Skippable With or Without Kids: Mad Tea Party, it's a small world

I'm not sure what to do though. My opinion is that everything is worth experiencing yourself, but people are going to have to prioritize attractions with one or two days at Magic Kingdom. So what do you think? Do I say it's a small world is a "must do" because it's a classic? Is it actually something people enjoy riding, more so than other attractions that would then have to move to "Skippable" status?

Does any of this make any sense?

Maybe changing the category to "Visit if Time Allows" would be better wording.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
I would be hard pressed to call anything but the Carousel skippable, and Small World really should not be in that category, IMO. It's an iconic Disney classic and should be experienced by everyone, even if it's only on a first visit (we go every time, just because you "have to" - we do Carousel of Progress every visit too!).

josh

Administrator
Staff member
But you can't ride everything. Didn't you have to skip it last time because the wait was 30 minutes or something?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
This blurb is at the end though:

Although several of these attractions are listed as “visit if time allows,” I would still make every effort to visit them. If you only have time for one of them, you should probably visit it's a small world. It's a classic attraction that usually has a shorter wait. When short on time, you’ll have to make some tough decisions. Every group is different and you’ll want to read over the specific reviews to figure out which rides sounds more appealing than others.

Micah008

Staff member
You could make an additional category called "Disney Classics"... for ones that may not be as popular, or as much of a priority, but it would be good to experience if you have never been on it before.

vicki_c

THE RULES!!!
But you can't ride everything. Didn't you have to skip it last time because the wait was 30 minutes or something?
But we do! Except for the Carousel most trips. You may be right on skipping it at some point due to a line thing, but we do usually ride everything in Fantasyland on our trips.

cboyer

Honestly I would put the carousel as skippable with or without kids, it is just a merry-go-round, and the kids can do that at any mall almost everywhere in america. But IASW is a classic and special in that it can only be done at magic kingdom or disneyland. Even before we had DD, I would insist DH and I stop and do it every trip, and now it is one of DD's favorites. I would at least name it as one to do if you have time.

DisneySmiles

Nearly every small child I know picks IASW as their favorite ride after experiencing Disney. Once they hit the 40" mark, things may change, but that isn't until 4 or 5. Even without children I can't imagine skipping it. While there really isn't anything incredible about it, it is one of the main rides I associate with Disney along with Pirates and HM. Plus, as long as you go on a recc day, you can ride it with minimal or no wait due to capacity. Plus it has AC if it is hot out!!!

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
This blurb is at the end though:

Although several of these attractions are listed as “visit if time allows,” I would still make every effort to visit them. If you only have time for one of them, you should probably visit it's a small world. It's a classic attraction that usually has a shorter wait. When short on time, you’ll have to make some tough decisions. Every group is different and you’ll want to read over the specific reviews to figure out which rides sounds more appealing than others.

This blurb helps a lot. It is so tough to decide which rides are skippable and which ones are not to be missed. I almost wonder if a numbering system might not be a better way to go. Something where you rate the popularity, classicness, and likableness of each attraction. Then people can decide if that attraction is one that they really want to add into their plans. I just know that my list of skippable rides does not match the person next to me and so on. But I might agree with the ratings. For example.......Space Mountain is completely skippable in my book but I do agree with those who say it is a 9 or 10 rating because it is a fun coaster (obviously my reasons for skipping it have to do with DLR.....but I won't go there.) Vicki has mentioned that Carousel of Progress and IASW are must dos every time for them where I have been on COP all of once in my many trips and IASW we do only if we have time to spare. So.......a must do, skippable, etc listing just might not be the way to go.

If you do still want to go that way.....maybe add extra groups. You have a good start but make the "do if at all possible attractions" as an additional category. Plus add a "do if you have time to fill" and keep the skippable for attractions such as Stitch.

It's a tough job that you have......good luck!!!!!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
This is just for a general overview of Fantasyland. I have one for the other Lands as well. But it is more difficult to assert which "classic" attractions are "must dos" and which ones are "skippable." For example, I think most families with an eight year old and a five year old are bored out of their minds on Carousel of Progress. Yet I would guess more than half of the people on Disney forums would rate that attraction as a "must do." The same is true for Enchanted Tiki Room. You can count the total number of laughs/giggles in my video with one hand until the very end, when people are relieved that it is finally over. While I'm sure it's a small world is the favorite of some little boy or girl somewhere, I can't imagine any child saying it's their favorite over Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, etc. Maybe if they are the sort of child that has 100 favorites.

bnoble

he's right
If anything in Fantasyland is skippable, I would put Carrousel and Tea Cups in that category. Why? Because you can find their ilk in any garden variety amusement park. Others in this category in MK include the Tomorrowland speedway, and all three* spinners. Yes, all of them. I don't care if Dumbo is a classic---it's a regular old amusement park ride, if a bit overgrown and "pretty".

(*: Does Dumbo Dumbo count as one spinner, or two?)

There's another category of: "Unique, but often gets a lukewarm review." Country Bears is probably in this category. CoP and Tiki are arguably there as well, classics or no. Snow White could well have gone in this category, if it were still open.

Small World is not universally loved (oi, that song!) but I get the sense that it plays to most people better than Bears, Progress, or Tiki do, or that Snow did. With young kids, it's probably a priority.

deadhedmom

I don't think you need to get too hung up on RANKING the attractions. Maybe grouping them would be better?

List what attractions you feel would be best suited for "first timers", "families with small children", "people that like to sleep in", "rope-droppers"...I dunno. Something like that.

That way you can let people decide for themselves which ones they think they should skip or what ones they feel would be must-sees.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Just for kicks, I turned to DD6 and asked her opinion on IASW. After explaining to me that it's the ride with all the American Girl Dolls, she described it as a caring and loving ride. That made me smile.

Anyway... I would never classify it as skippable.

I think for the most part, aside from the 'its better at DLR effect', the majority of 'must dos/skippable' are fairly universal. i.e. how many people would list Swiss Family Treehouse as must do?

ETA: Josh, note my correct usage of effect/affect

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
To me, this is a slippery slope. Everyone has favorites and things they don't enjoy, and many times it's not really based on age - for instance, we really love Pooh, and we're not exactly in that ride's target audience!

I think concise descriptions without any ranking would be more beneficial.

That, and some sort of a way to tell people which rides are important to FP, ride early in the AM, or can be done anytime - and a bit of a description for why a particular ride fits its category (i.e. Pirates is very popular, but accommodates tons of people an hour, so has shorter wait times than other rides that may be equally or even less popular - like Jungle Cruise).

Claire

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany p
I'm a mom of one of those little boys who IASM is their favorite. We could literally ride it nonstop. Did you know that at certain times at the clock the little drummers come out...now how could you miss that!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say it's a small world is a "must do." I would get laughed out of the real world.