Rant thread

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
Trudy I totally understand your frustration. I go through a similar thing with DH's family. It's around an 11 hour drive from where we are up to NJ where DH's family is. The only reason we go up there is to see his family. Every year we drive up there and no one goes out of their way to make time for us. We only see them 1 time a year and we are the ones that put forth the effort. It's ok for me and DH to take off time for the trip but god forbid anyone else make a small sacrifice. I didn't want to go up this past summer but it was my nieces 1st birthday. This same nieces parents act like my kids don't even exist but expect us to drop everything for their kid. They are so self centered. They had a fit because no one sent them an anniversary card on their anniversary. Hello! I have been married 20 years and have never gotten a card from them nor have my kids ever gotten a birthday card and they are 13 and 15 now. I told DH we are not going up next year. And as much as my brother can be a PITA, he and his wife always make time to visit us. They try to come for the kids birthdays, holidays etc. DH's family...Nothing. :RpS_glare:

Ann

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
My own parents have always had a rule that whomever invites somebody out to eat pays. Well, because we're trying to see as many people as we can during our trips we have to let them know when we're available. In their minds that means we're inviting so we always pay.
Instead, let them know when you're available for them to stop by your hotel room to visit. Maybe then, they'll invite you to dinner :RpS_laugh:

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Instead, let them know when you're available for them to stop by your hotel room to visit. Maybe then, they'll invite you to dinner :RpS_laugh:
There's a good plan!!!

I read about your family Trudy and yours Ann and don't feel quite so bad about mine!! They can be annoying but at least they do seem to want to see us. (That is the problem....they complain that we are not spending enough time with them!!) Of course, my DNephew who lives in VA did ask me the other day why it is that no one ever comes out to spend time with them when his family always makes an effort to go out to Utah to see them......and he does have a point there.

Anyone who wants to adopt us as family.....we always love spending time with family (and friends who we consider family) and we will welcome you with open arms. So....feel free to come and visit us!! We don't have any kids to play with the kids but DH and I will play (DH is after all a 9 y/o locked in a grown ups body and I'm not much older!!!) My sisters say that our house is the best vacation because they can sit back and relax while we entertain the kids!!! (And yes.....I'm being serious. Personally....Trudy and Ann.....you and your families would both be welcomed in our home!!!)

lisapennie

does judge
There's a good plan!!!

I read about your family Trudy and yours Ann and don't feel quite so bad about mine!! They can be annoying but at least they do seem to want to see us. (That is the problem....they complain that we are not spending enough time with them!!) Of course, my DNephew who lives in VA did ask me the other day why it is that no one ever comes out to spend time with them when his family always makes an effort to go out to Utah to see them......and he does have a point there.

Anyone who wants to adopt us as family.....we always love spending time with family (and friends who we consider family) and we will welcome you with open arms. So....feel free to come and visit us!! We don't have any kids to play with the kids but DH and I will play (DH is after all a 9 y/o locked in a grown ups body and I'm not much older!!!) My sisters say that our house is the best vacation because they can sit back and relax while we entertain the kids!!! (And yes.....I'm being serious. Personally....Trudy and Ann.....you and your families would both be welcomed in our home!!!)
Oh, I think DH and I could come down and have fun with you and your DH - we're all geeky enough to have a good ol' time (though I am more of a Star Trek girl - I like Star Wars, but Star Trek is my first love).

kbmoore

Okay, I get why I am still up.... but those of you on the East Coast... it's late!!!!:yawn: You all should be :sleep:

Actually, I should be :sleep: I am having entirely too much fun finding reasons to use all these cute little icons,.... and getting irritated at the DLR calendar which is now up to Jan. 9th! Seriously, this type A girl is having serious problems with that whole waiting thing.

blyday

Oh, I think DH and I could come down and have fun with you and your DH - we're all geeky enough to have a good ol' time (though I am more of a Star Trek girl - I like Star Wars, but Star Trek is my first love).
We do Star Trek too!! (DH introduced it to me. The first Star Trek show that I watched all of the way was the final episode of TNG!!)

Picard if we're talking TV series, but I think Chris Pine's Kirk is pretty awesome. I'll need to see what happens in the next film to be sure though.
I agree!!

Oh and Kathy.....DH and I are always up this late. He works swings, I work from home (except when I do the ATMs) and we don't have kids....so no reason to have to go to bed early!!!

peachygreen

not going to be flippant...unless...
I really, really, really hate it when the person in the seat next to you on an airplane thinks that their comfort is more important than anyone elses. The guy next to me on my flight today procceed to take over the entire armrest and about 6 inches of space into my seat. I felt like my personal space was being invaded the entire flight. It was not comfortable and anytime I moved I got his elbow in my ribs. ARRGH!

blyday

I really, really, really hate it when the person in the seat next to you on an airplane thinks that their comfort is more important than anyone elses. The guy next to me on my flight today procceed to take over the entire armrest and about 6 inches of space into my seat. I felt like my personal space was being invaded the entire flight. It was not comfortable and anytime I moved I got his elbow in my ribs. ARRGH!
I've never had someone move into my actual seating area but have had them take over the entire arm rest. I honestly think that I would have asked him to move his elbow and to keep it on the arm rest!!! Sorry peachygreen that you had to deal with that!!!

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
I knew there was a reason I love these boards (besides Josh's avatar of course). You guys are the best!!!! Not only are you all such supportive people (you really are great), you're also sci fi fans. Gotta love it!! I will say that I'm a purist though and despite Picard being a much better commanding officer who I'd rather serve under, I'm a Kirk fan (Shatner of course) because he's the original. Chris Pine is hot and did a great job as Kirk but the whole time travel and creating an alternate world just irks me somehow. I hate time travel as a story device because not only do I not believe in the possibility of time travel but also that it somehow just feels like a cheat (clearly I don't watch Dr. Who). I did enjoy the movie though. It just took me a couple times watching it before I could really divorce the movie from the series enough to really enjoy it (yes I had to watch it several times despite my frustration just so I could get to that point LOL; I'm a die hard fan). I'd love to meet up with some of you at a SWW one of these years.

I do try telling my parents to just meet us at the hotel or we'll meet up at their house (which is scary because even though my kids are old enough to be safe,the place really does belong on the show Hoarders so we literally do step over stuff to move around the house). Unfortunately, we eat much earlier than they do and need to plan our dining because our autistic DD13 has to eat on a schedule so we still have to be the ones to say "lets go eat' because they fly by the seat of their pants. Family can be so annoying.

Just as I was getting to the point where I was more comfortable saying we won't go visit for a while, I get a call from home making me rethink that. My mom called to tell me that my dad's last uncle died. I'm not really upset about that since I hardly knew the man (I can count on one hand the number of times in my life that I met him) but while talking she lets it slip that they just got home from the hospital. It seems dad's been there for a couple days because he passed out at the bank (thank goodness he wasn't driving at the time). It turns out it was just his blood sugar because he's diabetic and hadn't eaten in around 36 hours but they kept him there to run a boatload of tests to be sure it wasn't his heart or a stroke. And of course they didn't call either me or my brother (he would have called me immediately; when I called to let him know he had no idea and was upset with them also for not telling him). So now I can't help but think that he can't possibly have a lot of time left (this uncle that passed away is the only male in his family to live beyond 60 besides my dad who just turned 73) so we really should go up. Guilt's a wonderful thing, isn't it? Why do I put myself through this? I really should write a letter like Lisa suggested.

Brenda, I might just take you up on your offer. We've been thinking about a trip to DC. We could swing by for a visit.

Oh, and I'm up because I agreed to cover on-call at work for the night for a guy who went out of town for the holiday and I got called with a problem. It's too late to go back to bed so I'm here.

blyday

Brenda, I might just take you up on your offer. We've been thinking about a trip to DC. We could swing by for a visit.
You definitely should.....or....if making it out to our place is just too far out of your way....just let me know when you are coming and we can arrange to meet you for dinner!!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
We live by a simple rule: we only do things that we both agree are going to be fun, productive things for both of us. Sometimes that includes family, sometimes it doesn't. Why spend time with toxic people? Nothing is worth that aggravation. If we need more "control," we host. If someone is gracious enough to invite us, we go. If we have to choose friends over family oncIf we're alone, we enjoy the time together. It's really as simple as that. There was a time when it was hard to say no to some people, but our time is valuable and we're not getting any younger.

Greg did his medical fellowship in New Orleans, loves everything about the city, and misses it. Guess where we're going for Christmas? And guess what? We can't wait. Sure, I'd rather be going to New Orleans SQUARE, but this is a perfectly acceptable compromise.

annethomas

We live by a simple rule: we only do things that we both agree are going to be fun, productive things for both of us. Sometimes that includes family, sometimes it doesn't. Why spend time with toxic people? Nothing is worth that aggravation. If we need more "control," we host. If someone is gracious enough to invite us, we go. If we have to choose friends over family oncIf we're alone, we enjoy the time together. It's really as simple as that. There was a time when it was hard to say no to some people, but our time is valuable and we're not getting any younger.

Greg did his medical fellowship in New Orleans, loves everything about the city, and misses it. Guess where we're going for Christmas? And guess what? We can't wait. Sure, I'd rather be going to New Orleans SQUARE, but this is a perfectly acceptable compromise.
How lucky are you!!!!! I agree with you and wish I could follow your rule:RpS_thumbup:

got2travel

My family issues don't seem nearly as bad now.
Sorry some of you have such difficult situations to deal with. Sometimes being a single parent has its advantages, as I only have my own family to deal with and not someone else's.

F

Fireflies

My only family issue is my sister-in-law...doesn't like me, never has. Even one person can make a family gathering intolerable. Of course, I may make it intolerable for her as well. I don't go to extended family get-togethers anymore, so now we both win!

My real rant is that my son is now quite a bit taller than me.:RpS_crying:

lisapennie

does judge
My only family issue is my sister-in-law...doesn't like me, never has. Even one person can make a family gathering intolerable. Of course, I may make it intolerable for her as well. I don't go to extended family get-togethers anymore, so now we both win!

My real rant is that my son is now quite a bit taller than me.:RpS_crying:
We could swap SiL stories - mine managed to get herself blocked on Facebook by saying some very not nice things about me.