Rant thread

kbmoore

So, I have had a cold for a week, today the cold is better, but I have a cough and tonight my ear starts hurting.... off I go to urgent care.

Doctor: What seems to be the problem tonight?

ME; "Blah blah blah... ear hurts etc..."

Doctor (sticks otoscope in ear): Well, that's impressive.

ME: What?

Doctor: You'll have to come back if it starts bleeding......here is a script for your antibiotic.

Doctor: Hope you feel better.

Who gets an ear infection as an adult??????? It hurts like a you-know-what!!!!!!

On the up side, I am not going to work tomorrow. Maybe I will wrap my Xmas gifts. Or just lounge about and watch "VEGAS" on TNT..........

Please pray for me that my ear drum doesn't rupture. That just doesn't sound like a good time.

F

Fireflies

You'll have to come back if it starts bleeding.
Yikes! That's not something you want to hear from your doctor! Aaaanyway, just take the medicine, relax, enjoy your day off, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
I got one a couple of years ago and it was bad and I think that DH has one right now but he won't to go a doctor. Instead...he just keeps putting hydrogen peroxide in it until the outside of his ear is all dried out and scabbed.....so not pretty!!!

Get well soon Kathy and take care of that ear!!!

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
Kathy feel better soon. Hopefully those antibiotics kick in and clear that ear infection up quickly.

I have never ever had an ear infection even as a kid. Neither of my kids have had one either and they are DD15 and DS13. Wonder if there is some sort of genetic predisposition to them or something?

Ann

vatmark

Kathy feel better soon. Hopefully those antibiotics kick in and clear that ear infection up quickly.

I have never ever had an ear infection even as a kid. Neither of my kids have had one either and they are DD15 and DS13. Wonder if there is some sort of genetic predisposition to them or something?

Ann
Ok I hope I just didn't jinx myself. :RpS_blink:

Ann

got2travel

Who gets an ear infection as an adult??????? It hurts like a you-know-what!!!!!!

Please pray for me that my ear drum doesn't rupture. That just doesn't sound like a good time.

**raises hand**

Earlier this year I ended up with a double ear infection, courtesy of the Disney Crud. (Never fails, after a Disney trip, I end up with something, several of my friends do too, so now we affectionately call it the Disney Crud).

Hope you feel better.

got2travel

Ann
There might be something to this. I don't remeber ever having one as a child. And DS16 has only had one, and that was also courtesy of the Disney Crud. He developed swimmer's ear because he basically lived in the pool his first time on the Magic.

kbmoore

I think that there is a genetic predisposition.... I had them a lot as a kid.. but then had my adenoids out... hmmmm maybe they grew back! LOL...

My oldest DD had them all the time as a little kid but DD8 has never had one. She had some vaccine that was designed against the major viruses that cause ear infections...hmm.. maybe I should look into that for me!

I HATE getting kid infections as a grown up. I have things to do!!!

blyday

then had my adenoids out... hmmmm maybe they grew back! LOL...
Very possible....I had mine out with my tonsils when I was 4 and again when I was 14. I had a High School friend who had hers taken out for the 8th time when we were in 11th grade.

Hope you are feeling better today and that those antibiotics are kicking in. Are you taking a decongestant also? I know the docs always gave me one along with the antibiotics for my ear infections.

lisapennie

does judge

Ann
Sort of - those with waxier ears are less likely to get them, from what I've read (which explains why my brother got none and I got many as a child).

Bernie2003

Well, the good news is that if it ruptures, your ear infection pain will go away! :RpS_lol:

And, yes, some people can have a genetic predisposition to ear infections. It often has to do with the eustachian tubes and how slanted or straight they are.

AmeliaPond

So, I have had a cold for a week, today the cold is better, but I have a cough and tonight my ear starts hurting.... off I go to urgent care.

Doctor: You'll have to come back if it starts bleeding......here is a script for your antibiotic.

On the up side, I am not going to work tomorrow. Maybe I will wrap my Xmas gifts. Or just lounge about and watch "VEGAS" on TNT..........

Hope you feel better ASAP! And yeah...you definitely don't want your eardrums to rupture. That happened to my husband on a flight once. It was pretty terrible for him. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick and things will start feeling better.

PEACHES

Yikes, I hope your ears get better and fast. That is a horrible feeling, ear pain, take lots of pain meds!

WTP

rubbing in the fact that your baked potato didnt c
Sorry about the EI, Kathy! I had one last summer and it was so painful. I have a new respect for my kids, who have each had a few. I was nervous about my hearing, too. The oddest part was that I could hear everything, although a little muffled...but all musical sounds were in double, and just a tad out of tune. The radion sounded like a haunted mansion organ! I'm a musician so I was a tad concerned. In the end though, after the antibiotic, my ears actually improved. For 10+ years I had pain in one ear when flying. On our most recent trip, I lost my earplanes but miraculously had no pain! I think the EI somehow healed it.

Hope you feel better soon!

blyday

Kathy - Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope you continue to heal and are 100% soon!!

Susan - that is really cool about the pain when flying going away. I guess that makes getting an ear infection worth it!!!

Jenny

selling josh for fastpasses
I burned my :soapbox: hand today making Christmas cookies. On the first pan out of the oven.

I still have 3 more varieties to cook

Bah Humbug!

vatmark

Having bad today. Woke up and found out internet service was out. Called to make my Yak & Yeti ADR at 7am because it can't be made online with a party of 10. I go through the whole voice command deal and then end up with a live person who tells me system is undergoing maintenance and to call back later. Ugh. Called back later and went through the same thing and system is still undergoing maintenance. Couldn't work all morning because of no internet service. My DH gave me his air card just so I could get some stuff done. As of now we still have no internet service and I still have no yak & yeti ADR. These are the times when I hate technology.

Edited to add that things got worse. I was suppose to do a webinar today for my job. It was the first time I have ever done one and ended up having to download some java thing in order to make it work and when I finally was able to join the webinar it was full. UGH!!!

Hmmm maybe I should try and call to get that yak & Yeti ADR for the 3rd time. :RpS_cursing:

Ann

Last edited:

blyday

Sorry Ann......that really does stink. I hate days like that. I had one this past Saturday that now has me not being able to get out to clean ATMs that I really wanted to get done this week (stupid Keratoconus!!!!) Anyway....hope your day gets better.

kbmoore

Brenda,

Do you wear gas permeable contacts for your Keratoconus? I understand for most people vision can be improved that way? Just curious so feel free to say MYOB!!!