Rant thread

Alcachofa

Does anyone else live in a community where they say their child is a "rising X grader"?

This is new to me. It used to be simply that in the summer between school years, you would say "I just finished X grade", or "I'm going into Y grade". WTF is this "rising" crap? Sounds like a remnant of the whole "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

/curmudgeon

smwisc

Does anyone else live in a community where they say their child is a "rising X grader"?

This is new to me. It used to be simply that in the summer between school years, you would say "I just finished X grade", or "I'm going into Y grade". WTF is this "rising" crap? Sounds like a remnant of the whole "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

/curmudgeon
Agree with nolarookie - it's just a shorthand. And I much it to not specifying at all (as our summer school materials tend to do, for example).

I first heard this term maybe a year or two ago. I thought I was behind the times.

ETA: Meaning all the sudden I hear it so much that I thought it was common and I just didn't know.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how

/curmudgeon
Sounds pretentious to me🤓

RetroCOTfan

I do, but you can't swing a dead cat in Ann Arbor without hitting someone with a graduate degree.
I never heard it until I was in grad school. Now it seems like I hear it frequently. I don't know if that's because I'm paying more attention, or if it's just gaining in acceptance/usage.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I've heard it in the annual meetings at our daughters' various schools over the last 10+ years. "Rising 4th graders" is a much better way for teachers and administrators to talk about a student or group of students than "the students who are going into fourth grade next year."

geek1997

I guess "Incoming 4th graders" doesn't have a shiny enough connotation? Or maybe the "incoming" has too negative a connotation? Now all I can picture is kids flying overhead towards the school and all the teachers ducking.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I visualize the grades like a staircase, climbing through elementary, middle and high school, and on to undergraduate and graduate degree programs, so "rising" would be the proper verb (or adjective) for me. If you visualize the grades and years of college in a straight line, they I guess "incoming" would probably work better for you.

nolarookie

Just learned this evening that my younger son’s bus driver decided he’s not driving this year. First day of school is tomorrow. Cheers! I should’ve posted this in “what are you drinking”

Strangeite

Just learned this evening that my younger son’s bus driver decided he’s not driving this year. First day of school is tomorrow. Cheers! I should’ve posted this in “what are you drinking”
That really sucks. I know many districts are desperate for bus drivers.

Is the district offering after-school care if they aren't providing the afternoon route?

nolarookie

That really sucks. I know many districts are desperate for bus drivers.

Is the district offering after-school care if they aren't providing the afternoon route?
I’m not sure, although I know they are offering aftercare this school year. We’ll be able to handle transportation changes in the short term. Hopefully it’ll get ironed out in the first few weeks. Maybe I should start pricing school busses, maybe it’s time to switch careers.

Strangeite

You don't need the bus, just the time. Around here, being a bus driver has almost become viewed as an act of charity.

Edit: It is ridiculous that is true.

Last edited: