Rant thread

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I saw someone state the other day, "We are not the richest country in the world, but rather the country with the most rich people living in it."
Ain't that the truth. Such a huge concentration of wealth at the top.

Strangeite

Friday, September 18th, 2020. The date an entire generation of children will have memories of their parents looking at their phone and screaming "Nooooo! F****ing F*** Noooo!!! Noooooooooo!!!!!"

George

Friday, September 18th, 2020. The date an entire generation of children will have memories of their parents looking at their phone and screaming "Nooooo! F****ing F*** Noooo!!! Noooooooooo!!!!!"
I thought you said you did OK on the Trivia game. ??? :p

Strangeite

Kentucky is "odd" in that it elects our statewide offices on odd years. November of 2019 is when we elected every constitution office and most of the General Assembly. Covid-19 first showed up here in March. Our Governor took action early to lock things down. That was difficult because literally every other constitutional office and a super-majority in the legislature was of a different party. Our Attorney General immediately filed suit that the Governor didn't have the authority to... even recommend social distancing, or to even recommend guidelines on athletic events. I ain't saying mandates. The lawsuits were filed over recommendations.

Then George Floyd was killed. And the world became aware of Beronna Taylor's death. I need to say their names.

This is a Rant Thread. And I guess I am ranting because I am watching a world look at my state, and they are not seeing the context. They are not seeing how many of us are pissed. Also how many of us are hopeful by the change that is happening.

For the political nerds out there, look at the results of the Democratic primary in Covid-19-2020. ...arrgghhh... Let me just say that if the universe had shifted a week and half later, many things would be different.

Again Rant Thread. I have been watching my Governor give a daily Covid-19 update every single day for months.

He was late today, and I knew he would be. On the very first day a window was broken in Louisville, he went on the air to remind the rest of us hillbillies that not only racism exists, but it it is imbedded in our system. That we are our brother's keeper. That if we are going to get through this, we will have to get through it together.

I will always be thankful that he took that position from Day 1.

Rant Thread again. There are lot of reports that chaos is raining in my state. In the city a 30 minute drive from my house. I want you all to know that isn't true. I know because I have friends that live "in the heart of the rioting". I also know because I have heard the news story many times and when I go downtown, I find people that are hurting and want change. I also am going to head to the park tomorrow. I cancelled my meeting for tomorrow. Screw the narrative that a city is in crisis, and screw the assholes that show up trying to make it into something it is not.

I am so sorry EasyWDW community, but I feel the need to RANT more tonight than I ever have since I joined this community.

The really hard truth is that the system that put those officers in that place, at that time, is wrong and changes have to be made. The war on drugs, fighting it like an actual war, judges hand waving warrants, a bail system designed not to assess risk of flight but ability to pay, police training that treats citizens like enemy combatants, a drumbeat to defend your home with a gun, and culture that believes work that isn't "white collar" is someone how less, is... I ain't smart enough to come up with a solution.

I truly believe, if those three officers had been thrown under the bus today, it would have been a miscarriage of justice because the guilty is all of us.

I have had to remind myself many times tonight, it is important to remember where to focus anger. We have work to do.

moscow

Kentucky is "odd" in that it elects our statewide offices on odd years. November of 2019 is when we elected every constitution office and most of the General Assembly. Covid-19 first showed up here in March. Our Governor took action early to lock things down. That was difficult because literally every other constitutional office and a super-majority in the legislature was of a different party. Our Attorney General immediately filed suit that the Governor didn't have the authority to... even recommend social distancing, or to even recommend guidelines on athletic events. I ain't saying mandates. The lawsuits were filed over recommendations.

Then George Floyd was killed. And the world became aware of Beronna Taylor's death. I need to say their names.

This is a Rant Thread. And I guess I am ranting because I am watching a world look at my state, and they are not seeing the context. They are not seeing how many of us are pissed. Also how many of us are hopeful by the change that is happening.

For the political nerds out there, look at the results of the Democratic primary in Covid-19-2020. ...arrgghhh... Let me just say that if the universe had shifted a week and half later, many things would be different.

Again Rant Thread. I have been watching my Governor give a daily Covid-19 update every single day for months.

He was late today, and I knew he would be. On the very first day a window was broken in Louisville, he went on the air to remind the rest of us hillbillies that not only racism exists, but it it is imbedded in our system. That we are our brother's keeper. That if we are going to get through this, we will have to get through it together.

I will always be thankful that he took that position from Day 1.

Rant Thread again. There are lot of reports that chaos is raining in my state. In the city a 30 minute drive from my house. I want you all to know that isn't true. I know because I have friends that live "in the heart of the rioting". I also know because I have heard the news story many times and when I go downtown, I find people that are hurting and want change. I also am going to head to the park tomorrow. I cancelled my meeting for tomorrow. Screw the narrative that a city is in crisis, and screw the assholes that show up trying to make it into something it is not.

I am so sorry EasyWDW community, but I feel the need to RANT more tonight than I ever have since I joined this community.

The really hard truth is that the system that put those officers in that place, at that time, is wrong and changes have to be made. The war on drugs, fighting it like an actual war, judges hand waving warrants, a bail system designed not to assess risk of flight but ability to pay, police training that treats citizens like enemy combatants, a drumbeat to defend your home with a gun, and culture that believes work that isn't "white collar" is someone how less, is... I ain't smart enough to come up with a solution.

I truly believe, if those three officers had been thrown under the bus today, it would have been a miscarriage of justice because the guilty is all of us.

I have had to remind myself many times tonight, it is important to remember where to focus anger. We have work to do.

Rant away! You are justified in being angry, disgusted, and frustrated; we all are. And if we aren't, we should be. As an attorney and the child of a career police officer, I can tell you that the criminal justice system definitely needs to be changed. Great change took place during the 60s -- and I do not just mean Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement. Dr. King's movement changed not just how we treat one another, but it also spawned change in our criminal justice system. Much needed change; change that did indeed begin the process of protecting all of our civil rights as they relate to the criminal justice system. Since then, we have slowly allowed fear, distrust, and systemic racism (and anyone who says that it does not exist is lying to themselves . . . and others) to chip away at the foundation of our legal system by incrementally increasing police powers in our country. No knock warrants; limited police immunity; increased search and seizure policies; lack of psychological testing for applicants to our police academies; increased power in the police unions; and limited to no training in diffusion tactics have resulted in creating the mess we now have. Defunding the police is not the correct option; but making systemic change is.

And one of the first currently endorsed (and widely used) police tactics to go should be no knock warrants! No knock warrants are a complete travesty. (I do acknowledge that there are some reports that indicate the police knocked and announced at Ms. Taylor's apartment. But without body cams, who knows.) And serving a warrant in the middle of the night is bad form all around and one could make a legitimate argument that it was completely unnecessary which is what led to Ms. Taylor's death. There is no excuse for what happened to Breonna Taylor.

Whether or not the police officers should be held criminally liable is a whole different discussion, but the fact that this situation exists in the first place could and should have been avoided by the police engaging in appropriate behavior and by them not beating down someone's door in the middle of the night to serve a warrant that should have rightfully been served during the day. It is absolutely no wonder that Ms. Taylor's boyfriend came up shooting; I am not entirely sure I would not have behaved in a similar manner had someone crashed in the door to my home in the middle of the night. He made the logical assumption that someone was breaking into their home . . . he just did not realize that it was the police - and why would he? He admittedly fired the first shot, which puts the entire situation into a murky legal area as it relates to the police officers and their subsequent use of force. But again, who wouldn't have behaved similarly given the same situation?

As you can see, I too have strong feelings about the Breonna Taylor situation and Mr. Floyd's murder . . . and quite a number of other issues as it relates to police powers. My husband is also an attorney, so we talk about these things quite a lot at the dinner table. We both feel very strongly about the issue of police reform. If nothing else, both my kids could probably teach a primer on what "abuse of police powers" means these days.

RetroCOTfan

Another attorney here, also living in a "red" (for now) state (TX), and also enraged and upset and disappointed and frustrated and motivated by everything happening in our country right now. I believe we are in the birthing pains right now of a new generation that is going to chart a new course for our country and its people--ALL of its people. So rant away, @Strangeite and @moscow - you're not alone.

George

I think if the term “defund the police” was actually “don’t make the police have to do anything but police,” or something more lilting, a lot more people would be for It. Too many have a knee-jerk reaction to things (he’s KNEELING during the National Anthem!) without asking why, without trying to understand the reasons behind them. And they love it that way, because it feeds their ingrained prejudices (face it, we all have them) and it’s easier to nod a head and shake a fist at something than putting some effort into understanding.

RetroCOTfan

Agreed - "defund the police" does a terrible disservice to the actual concept behind that slogan. When I explained to my Fox-News loving, Facebook-meme posting dad that "defund the police" did NOT mean "abolish the police," but instead meant a redistribution of funding to other sources, such as community groups and mental health professionals, so that the police could deal with actual CRIME and not things like homeless people and those with mental-health issues, his response was, "oh, that makes sense." Yeah, it does. Let police do actual policing - solving crimes - and stop making them be society's default response to everything we don't know how to handle ourselves.

George

Agreed - "defund the police" does a terrible disservice to the actual concept behind that slogan. When I explained to my Fox-News loving, Facebook-meme posting dad that "defund the police" did NOT mean "abolish the police," but instead meant a redistribution of funding to other sources, such as community groups and mental health professionals, so that the police could deal with actual CRIME and not things like homeless people and those with mental-health issues, his response was, "oh, that makes sense." Yeah, it does. Let police do actual policing - solving crimes - and stop making them be society's default response to everything we don't know how to handle ourselves.
People think “Defund the Police” means do away with police so agitators can loot and destroy.

moscow

For me, it is irrelevant what the movement is called or how people define it. If we (as a society) do not make a systemic change to the over-reaching and increasingly aggressive abuse of police powers that are being fronted and defended by the powerful police union, we are going to be facing a huge problem in our justice system. Take for example the case of Derek Chauvin. There are rumors that the police union may be considering filing a lawsuit for wrongful termination against the City of Minneapolis because of a possible violation of their union agreement because he was fired without an investigation and a hearing. And, they may very well win that case if it were to go forward. Because of a contractual agreement between the City and the union. And yet the man committed murder . . . while performing his duties as an "officer of the law" . . . and we've all seen the tape of it. There is absolutely no question as to what happened in the murder of Mr. Floyd; no question at all.

I take a slightly different view when it comes to funding for our police departments. I am actually in favor of increased investment in our police departments but using that money tactically in order to maximize our return on that investment. I would increase diffusion training, increase applicant pools by providing better salaries and benefits, increase regular (read that to mean monthly) psychological testing, and increase oversight (completely independent oversight). I would also break the back of the police union -- not because I am anti-union -- but because the union has been used to further increase police powers in our cities and states and that is a very, very dangerous thing if left unchecked.

Strangeite

Thanks everyone. I just needed to get that off my chest last night. What I witnessed today warmed my heart and makes me hopeful for the future. It wasn't my first protest and I am sure won't be my last, but something does feel different this time. I am hopeful.

On a more humorous note, when I showed up people were appropriately paranoid that I might be an agent provocateur, seeing that I am a 40ish, 6'4", white dude wearing khaki pants and a polo shirt, I don't blame 'em. There are people out there trying to change the narrative.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I really, really hate to see everything that is going on in our country today. Every day, I find myself teetering on that line between "this is depressing to the point that it is seriously affecting my mood" and "I need to stay informed." I'm rather apolitical, but I'm sucked into it because of the election, the protests, the murders and coronavirus.

George

Bennie the Mini Labradoodle was almost sprayed by a skunk last night. We were heading in from the back yard at around 9pm. She must’ve heard it because she was looking out at the yard from the patio. I was looking out that way too because I noticed an up light on one of the trees had to be repositioned, so I let her in and went back out to adjust the light, and that's when I heard the huge “hissss” a bit in the distance off the patio. The unmistakable smell hit me like a huge wave. A bit of it actually followed me into the house. I couldn’t even open the bedroom window at the front of the house last night because the whole area stunk. Close call!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The other morning I came in from my run and it was still dark out. Our cat was tracking something through the glass of our four season room. Usually it's just her reflection but she was so focused on it I went over to look and it was a skunk about a foot outside the window. I was petrified it would spray the screen and window if it saw our cat, but it just moved along and never noticed us.

Strangeite

I don’t know if it’s the case for others, but what is with the younger generation turning on closed captioning for everything.

I am getting sick of it. Every time I sit down to watch my programs, regardless of the TV, words appear on the bottom of the screen.

Sure, since they were young we insisted that we use captions for foreign films but that is because I didn’t know the language!

Why? Oh why must you make me navigate the settings to turn off the captions after you watch programs that I know you speak the language. My kids now laugh at me when I complain about this. “Oh Dad, everyone watches with captions these days.”

Call me old fashioned, but I like my programs in English without text, and I like my programs not in English with text. Besides, who bought these TVs and paying for the upteen billion streaming services anyway?

If you are going to turn on closed captioning, turn it off when you are done.

Rant over.

Edit: My wife equally contributed to the purchase of the TVs and the continuing payment of the streaming services. And she isn’t near as annoyed by the LEAVING CAPTION ON as I am. So perhaps it is more my problem.

Last edited: