Rant thread

Not That Josh

I don’t know if it’s the case for others, but what is with the younger generation turning on closed captioning for everything.
This is very funny because I have the same frustration with my parents. :)

When I end up at their house watching TV, cc is always on.

bnoble

he's right
I find myself turning it on more often now that I’ve realized how frequently I misunderstand dialogue, especially when heavy dialects are involved.

That must mean I’m old.

Micah008

Staff member
I don’t know if it’s the case for others, but what is with the younger generation turning on closed captioning for everything.

I am getting sick of it. Every time I sit down to watch my programs, regardless of the TV, words appear on the bottom of the screen.

My kids don't do it... but it would drive me crazy too. You are not alone.

This is very funny because I have the same frustration with my parents. :)

When I end up at their house watching TV, cc is always on.
Same here!

I even programmed buttons into their Harmony Remote to quickly go through the progression of button presses to turn it on and off... more for my benefit than theirs.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I find myself turning it on more often now that I’ve realized how frequently I misunderstand dialogue, especially when heavy dialects are involved.

That must mean I’m old.
We did it from time to time with Game of Thrones.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how

I am getting sick of it. Every time I sit down to watch my programs, regardless of the TV, words appear on the bottom of the screen.

Sure, since they were young we insisted that we use captions for foreign films but that is because I didn’t know the language!

Why? Oh why must you make me navigate the settings to turn off the captions after you watch programs that I know you speak the language. My kids now laugh at me when I complain about this. “Oh Dad, everyone watches with captions these days.”

Call me old fashioned, but I like my programs in English without text, and I like my programs not in English with text. Besides, who bought these TVs and paying for the upteen billion streaming services anyway?

If you are going to turn on closed captioning, turn it off when you are done.

Rant over.

Edit: My wife equally contributed to the purchase of the TVs and the continuing payment of the streaming services. And she isn’t near as annoyed by the LEAVING CAPTION ON as I am. So perhaps it is more my problem.
I have the exact opposite of this problem.
I prefer to have cc on all the time and need to turn it back on after my husband has watched TV. I find myself listening/reading simultaneously with out thinking about it. That allows the TV volume to be kept at a lower volume so commercials, loud “background” music, and the like not burst my ear drums.
When my husband is watching TV, I am constantly asking him to turn the volume down.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Certain British films are so heavily accented that they're released in theaters with subtitles. I usually get into the rhythm after 20 minutes or so, much like listening to a Shakespeare performance.

Dozing off during a foreign film sucks because you can't understand it with your eyes closed!

bnoble

he's right
I confess to putting CC on for Ted Lasso---some of the pub banter is hard to capture by ear alone, at least for me.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Current phrase that irks me, popular on social media commentary ..."it did not disappoint..." I hear/read it almost daily.

This suggest that you went into the experience looking to be let down. Write from the positive, not the negative.

Oh, and since this is the rant thread, enough with this white stuff that falls from the sky in the winter months.

George

Current phrase that irks me, popular on social media commentary ..."it did not disappoint..." I hear/read it almost daily.

This suggest that you went into the experience looking to be let down. Write from the positive, not the negative.

Oh, and since this is the rant thread, enough with this white stuff that falls from the sky in the winter months.
I'm finished with "ugly cry."

And snow. And cold.

George

Who removed the Six-Legged Dog thread?! I didn't turn it in as spam. :mad: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: