Rant thread

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
generations from now when they ask what people did to stay sane during the covid pandemic I hope nobody mentions the six legged puppy thread

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Years ago, it was "the internet is ruining WDW" because of the entitlement syndrome created when people saw things like Miyuki, the Coral Reef menus and diver, the "wake Tinkerbell", etc. that resulted in WDW doing away with them. Too many Veruca Salts.

This how now morphed into "social media is ruining WDW." When you do a "my top ten favorite quiet spots in WDW," "the secret trail in Animal Kingdom" or "best bathrooms for pooping" list , they're no longer quiet, secret or rarely occupied!!!

bnoble

he's right
Years ago, it was "the internet is ruining WDW" because of the entitlement syndrome created when people saw things like Miyuki, the Coral Reef menus and diver, the "wake Tinkerbell", etc. that resulted in WDW doing away with them. Too many Veruca Salts.
Oh my goodness. I had forgotten about the absolute insanity around waking Tink. I am pretty sure people threw punches over that.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag

This how now morphed into "social media is ruining WDW." When you do a "my top ten favorite quiet spots in WDW," "the secret trail in Animal Kingdom" or "best bathrooms for pooping" list , they're no longer quiet, secret or rarely occupied!!!
Do you mean rarely UNoccupied?!

I'd add Whispering Canyon "antics" to your list. "What should I ask for at Whispering Canyon so Junior will have a good time/not have a meltdown? He's allergic to ketchup and is afraid of horse heads on wooden sticks."

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Do you mean rarely UNoccupied?!

I'd add Whispering Canyon "antics" to your list. "What should I ask for at Whispering Canyon so Junior will have a good time/not have a meltdown? He's allergic to ketchup and is afraid of horse heads on wooden sticks."
I think I was trying to say that now that the secrets are now public knowledge, those bathrooms are occupied more frequently than pre-social media "here are the best..."

And FWIW, pre Skyliner, the International Gateway bathrooms were the best.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I'm unfamiliar with any of these former "treats". What were they?

I did hear that Aladdin and Jasmine used to ride the carpets, but they got rid of that for similar reasons.
Miyuki was a woman in Epcot/Japan who made animal shaped candy by hand and picked one child to receive whatever she made at the end of her show. It was a really good show. Veruca Salt influenced parents complained that their child was not picked, and eventually WDW ended the show. People were actually reporting exactly where their child stood to get picked. GMAB. :rolleyes:

Coral Reef used to do personalized menus for special occasions by request--call ahead of time with names, dates, what's the occasion, etc.. Too many complaints about the menus not being EXACTLY as requested, too many requests, too many "hey, we didn't know about that, that's not fair" and it was gone. Meltdowns over "THEY SPELLED CHRISTINA WITH A C AND NOT A K AND THE MEAL WAS RUINED!!!!" I'm exaggerating but it was that kind of stuff.

One of the stores in MK, near the castle, had a "wake up Tinkerbell" ceremony each morning when MK opened. It became a "which crazed parent can knock over the other crazed parents so Junior can be first in the store and wake Tink." IIRC, it was a small box that when opened would trigger a small lazer/light that flickered around the store.

Oh, just remembered another. Goofy used to ride Barnstormer with the first kid in line each day. Gone.

It's for these examples that I've never broadcast "hey we just got back and you won't believe what WDW did for us..."

Just an example--room upgrades (and yes, I know from speaking with the CM who gave us an upgrade exactly why she did it); I've seen threads, not here, where person after person ask "how did you get a free upgrade? What do I have to say to get a free upgrade?"

Once a nice, unexpected perk becomes an expectation, it's ruined for everyone.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Remember this one: finding the paintbrushes on Tom Sawyer Island each morning to win a free fastpass?

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Remember this one: finding the paintbrushes on Tom Sawyer Island each morning to win a free fastpass?
Another one bites the dust
And another one gone and another one gone
Hey I'm gonna get you too

All that work for one free FP and this was in the paper FP days. While I was collecting FP's, people were on that raft to go search for paint cans. :RpS_laugh:

bnoble

he's right
Just an example--room upgrades (and yes, I know from speaking with the CM who gave us an upgrade exactly why she did it);
Not a rant---the opposite, actually---but this reminds me of several moments from a trip a couple of years ago. My current sobriety date is just three days after my birthday. I celebrated my first year sober the same week I turned 50, and happened to score a unicorn last-minute 1BR at Boulder Ridge for that week, so I celebrated it at WDW as a solo guest.

My first park visit was Epcot*, and I stopped by guest relations to pick up a birthday button. I ended up telling the CM why I was really there that week. She got out a second "I'm Celebrating" button, and wrote "1 year" on it. I wore my birthday button on my actual birthday, but I wore the "1 Year" button the rest of the week. I had more touching conversations with Cast Members and other Guests. Some had loved ones in Recovery. Some still had loved ones fighting addiction. And some were in Recovery themselves. I don't think I "got anything" because of it, but I sure got something because of it.

IMG_4539 (1).jpeg

*: My first visit was Epcot because I needed to talk with Elsa. Her story arc in Frozen was one spoke to me a whole different way when I was in Recovery, and I'm not the only person to say that. When I later saw Frozen II, it was clear that wasn't a mistake.

i<3riviera

My first park visit was Epcot*, and I stopped by guest relations to pick up a birthday button. I ended up telling the CM why I was really there that week. She got out a second "I'm Celebrating" button, and wrote "1 year" on it. I wore my birthday button on my actual birthday, but I wore the "1 Year" button the rest of the week.
congrats, your progress and bravery are admirable

also, I'm glad you wore your buttons on separate days; I would have been thoroughly confused thinking you were some sort of Benjamin Button

geek1997

*: My first visit was Epcot because I needed to talk with Elsa. Her story arc in Frozen was one spoke to me a whole different way when I was in Recovery, and I'm not the only person to say that. When I later saw Frozen II, it was clear that wasn't a mistake.
I occasionally listen to an NPR podcast called "Pop Culture Happy Hour" and they lamented over the second movie saying the songs weren't as good as the first and that Anna's character just continued to exist to support her sister's journey. I didn't agree (on either point) and am glad you shared the article. That scene and song make me tear up every time.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
More "the internet ruins everything in WDW"...I've seen a number of photos and videos, on various social media platforms, about a structure in Epcot/Morocco that some say is shaped like "male anatomy." Well, now it's reported that the structure is being removed. :RpS_laugh:

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
More "the internet ruins everything in WDW"...I've seen a number of photos and videos, on various social media platforms, about a structure in Epcot/Morocco that some say is shaped like "male anatomy." Well, now it's reported that the structure is being removed. :RpS_laugh:
We can't have, er, nice things! :RpS_biggrin:

Remember the controversy when The Little Mermaid poster art came out that King Triton's castle had similarly "suggestive" towers?

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
We can't have, er, nice things! :RpS_biggrin:

Remember the controversy when The Little Mermaid poster art came out that King Triton's castle had similarly "suggestive" towers?
They changed the cover art. I think we have the original. That one looks really obvious to me. Morocco, I thought was a bit of a stretch.

RetroCOTfan

Hmmm...I didn't hear they were removing it. I heard they were just installing some shrubbery around the base of the structure to give it a more natural look.