Recipes?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I have a friend who did a chuck roast (read: pot roast cut) sous vide, and he swore it was better than any prime rib he's ever had.

bnoble

he's right
I'd wonder about whether it is possible to break down the connective tissue and still not be (far) beyond medium...but I'm intrigued.

Strangeite

I have a friend who did a chuck roast (read: pot roast cut) sous vide, and he swore it was better than any prime rib he's ever had.
I’ve done a chuck roast and it was very prime rib-esque but not as good. Think 85% of the way there but seeing as chuck roast is a 1/5th the cost...

I'd wonder about whether it is possible to break down the connective tissue and still not be (far) beyond medium...but I'm intrigued.
I did mine medium-rare. It was very tender and I suspect it was because of the long cooking time. I’d have to find the recipe but I want to say it was a 60 hour bath.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I asked my friend, a scratch cook who never met a food he couldn't cook. He grows most of his own food, and even keeps bees. He writes:

You can cook it to 136°. This way it stays at med-rare. But you keep it at that temp for 18-24 hours. It's the time at that temp that will break down the tissue. If I didn't know because I cooked it, I would have been convinced I was eating top quality prime rib, not cheap chuck roast. Same perfect pink, med-rare temp. Same bite and mouthfeel. Only thing different was the shape.

Anne

A medium rare chuck roast blows my mind!

I used the sous vide for our Christmas roast. It was the most tender beef I've ever had, and a real medium rare (not chuck though I will have to give that a try).

I also did hollandaise sauce in the sous vide. It turned out way better than my double-boiler method attempt last month. And much easier. The sauce stayed together the next day too.

Strangeite

I have now made this beef stew recipe twice and both times it was a huge hit. Even my 10 year old ate all of the chard and using gnocchi instead of potatoes is genius.

FYI, there is some foul language in the recipe, but that is part of its charm.