Rental car prices

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
If you were choosing between picking up a car at the WDW car care center vs. picking up at MCO and Ubering to get to MCO from your resort, how much saving s would you want to see to justify the Uber to MCO? Just curious.

I have two reservations right now, one picking up in WDW and one at MCO.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I’ve picked up offisite before, taking a ride share to the rental car location, not far from the airport, the closer the better. I do this in Las Vegas too. There’s a potential savings of a LOT of airport taxes. I probably wouldn’t ride share all the way to WDW, depending of course on what the rate difference is. I’ve saved upwards of $100 renting offisite; there’s no extra tax to return to MCO. I’m not sure what my savings threshold would be - maybe $50 and up?

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Are you talking about ubering from property to MCO to pick up a rental car? It would have to be at least $100-$200 of a savings AFTER accounting for the Uber fee. Maybe more. I don't want to lose 2+ hours of my vacation for less than that.

George

Are you talking about ubering from property to MCO to pick up a rental car? It would have to be at least $100-$200 of a savings AFTER accounting for the Uber fee. Maybe more. I don't want to lose 2+ hours of my vacation for less than that.
Agreed. Once at WDW, I wouldn’t want to take the time to get out to MCO just to pick up a car. I’d check onsite rates, and even go a bit outside the property, but probably not all the way to MCO.

cboyer

There are several places around Disney that you can do a lot easier than MCO and for probably cheaper than the car care center. I know there is one in the swan/dolphin. There are a couple around the Disney Springs area, etc. That way you aren't spending the time to go all the way back to MCO.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame

Yes, and we won't be losing vacation time, which definitely factors into my decision. It'll be on BWV checkout day; we need the car to get the Vero Beach DVC resort.

Right now it's a $120 savings before factoring in the Uber cost (which should be around $30 plus tip).

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
There are several places around Disney that you can do a lot easier than MCO and for probably cheaper than the car care center. I know there is one in the swan/dolphin. There are a couple around the Disney Springs area, etc. That way you aren't spending the time to go all the way back to MCO.

The Dolphin desk is ideal, we've picked up there a few times, but it's closed.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Right now it's a $120 savings before factoring in the Uber cost (which should be around $30 plus tip).
I wouldn't count on that $30 rate - with the major shortage of Uber drivers, surge pricing is kicking in a lot more frequently, and that ride could easily approach $100. You might still come out ahead, but you're still sacrificing vacation time. Any additional time you spent waiting on the Uber, getting dropped off at the designated part of the airport, lugging your bags to the rental car garage and going through that process, and getting back on the road to Vero Beach, is time you could have spent doing something better.

bnoble

he's right
The other possibility is to take one for the team, and have ME shuttle you back to MCO. Pick a flight that leaves at the "right" time, but leave everyone else (and your bags) at WDW. Then go back and get them.

I wouldn't do it though. I've gotten to the point that when I'm on vacation, I am on vacation. With that mindset, I'm a lot more likely to pay to have hassle removed than I am to take on extra hassle to save a few bucks.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Happy ending. I saved $140 by booking a full sized car (had a midsized SUV), pickup at the WDW Car Care Center, drop off at MCO.

Strangeite

I wouldn't do it though. I've gotten to the point that when I'm on vacation, I am on vacation. With that mindset, I'm a lot more likely to pay to have hassle removed than I am to take on extra hassle to save a few bucks.

It is odd what triggers that threshold.

For example, I’m currently staying in a vacation rental and my wife broke a vase last night. I could probably just tell the lessor that we broke the vase. Instead I rode a scooter 3 miles in the heat, went to three different stores, found a suitable replacement for $4, then took a train back.

2 hours in total, and probably more than they would have charged me to replace it after you factor scooter and train cost.

George

It is odd what triggers that threshold.

For example, I’m currently staying in a vacation rental and my wife broke a vase last night. I could probably just tell the lessor that we broke the vase. Instead I rode a scooter 3 miles in the heat, went to three different stores, found a suitable replacement for $4, then took a train back.

2 hours in total, and probably more than they would have charged me to replace it after you factor scooter and train cost.
Jeez. I could’ve found a new wife faster.

i<3riviera

Happy ending. I saved $140 by booking a full sized car (had a midsized SUV), pickup at the WDW Car Care Center, drop off at MCO.
I know I'm late to the party and this may no longer be useful info: depending on who you're renting from, you may be able to do one of the pick-your-own-car things (like National Emerald Aisle but other companies have it as well) where you usually can get better cars than the booking category required to get access to the aisle (mid-sized for National I believe)

also, some rental car companies have sign-up offers where you can get access to their premium aisles (e.g. Emerald Aisle Executive) for the first year with a better selection of cars by joining their rewards program

it's usually only an option at major airports (including MCO); it can be hit-and-miss but I've always ended up with a really great vehicle for the price of a mid-sized; the only disappointment I've had was when I wanted a minivan for the family but had to settle for a Suburban (all the minivans were already reserved by minivan specific rentals); it was fine, just more of an ergonomic nightmare with car seats