Renting DVC Points

BSS

I am looking at a trip in late January/early February 2022 with 5 adults (me, DH, DS24 & friend, and DS21). I am looking at a 2BR villa at Copper Creek. I have never stayed in any of the DVC resorts. WL is our favorite resort so CC is the obvious choice. I can't see pricing with Disney, yet, but based off of pricing for similar times in 2021 we would save a couple THOUSAND dollars by renting the points. Obviously this is very appealing. Having never stayed in a DVC unit, much less rented points, I am curious what others' opinions are. The obvious downside is the upfront payment and inability to make changes. This is a much bigger downside during a pandemic. However, 2021 will be the first year in many that we have not visited WDW and we are eager to return. If you have ever rented DVC points, what was your experience? Would you do it again? Other than the flexibility to make changes and cancel up to 30 days out, are there any benefits to booking directly with Disney?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I'm an owner, and have rented out points (and rented points, at VGC, before I bought a contract there). You seem to have the basics down. Just know what you're getting into, and you'll save a ton.

Another positive is free parking at the resort when staying on DVC points.

One other thing to consider, is resort. Copper Creek sells out pretty fast. The location is arguably better than Boulder Ridge (the original DVC building), being inside the original Wilderness Lodge, but the 2BR units are not insignificantly smaller. They were created using three original hotel room studios, so you'll feel the small space compared to the Villas at Boulder Ridge. If you request a "corner" unit at Boulder Ridge, you'll get a ton of windows and a larger layout. You'll probably have better availability at Boulder Ridge too, as well as a potential for less expensive points. Check it out.

bnoble

he's right
Given the uncertainty around travel for the foreseeable future, I would not book anything that could not be cancelled with a full refund this far in advance. The good news is that you are considering one of the lowest-demand times in the DVC calendar, so you may be able to make the reservation much closer to the trip via a point rental---and that's especially true if you take George's advice and consider Boulder Ridge.

Having stayed at BRV several times now in the February time frame, it is one of my favorite DVC resorts. I don't feel too far away from the main resort, particularly because the walkway is covered. Plus, the recently-reimagined pool next to BRV is lovely and typically less crowded than the main pool.

There are two differences that come to mind between a cash booking and a DVC rental. Ordinarily, cash rentals get daily housekeeping, vs. DVC's much more limited schedule, though during the pandemic Disney hotel housekeeping is much more limited in general. If you rent a reservation from an owner, you will not pay a daily resort parking charge if you drive/rent a car, but you do if you book cash via Disney.

BSS

Thank you both for your quick and well-considered responses. I am not really thinking of booking this far out, just assessing the options for now. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on Boulder Ridge, as well. I was just looking at CCV because my boys love the Lodge, but more space is probably a trade-off they would be happy to make since they would still get the feel of the lodge and be right next to the main building.

bnoble

he's right
Fair warning: If you've never been in a DVC villa before, but you have been in other timeshares, you might be surprised at how small even the BRV 2BR seems. BRV is one of the "2nd generation" DVC resorts---together with SSR, BWV, and BCV---which all share the same basic layout. In my opinion, the layout of these as 2BRs has too little space devoted to the living area given the capacity of the unit. The dining tables are small for four people, let alone eight---and that's especially true at BRV for some reason---though there is also a small table in the 2nd bedroom even in the dedicated units. They also inexplicably do not have ice makers, possibly because the fridge is not quite full sized.

Don't get me wrong---they are still quite wonderful, and I love the resort. But, be prepared.

Reactions: BSS

TiggerGirl

i have booked with David's rentals three or four times now and I would recommend them in a heartbeat to book with again. They offer insurance for your trip - not sure if Covid is one of the things is covers but you can talk to them about your concerns and they will address them honestly. They have been in business for 15 years and are wonderful IMHO

have a magical stay!

AmyM

We've booked several times @ CCV through Dave's and have had only very positive experiences. I'm currently planning a trip for early Dec 2021, and tried yesterday to secure a 2 BR (or even 1 BR) @ CCV, and they had no inventory. I assumed 9 months out would not be a problem, and I assumed incorrectly. If you decide to do it, I recommend getting in your request as soon as they'll let you.

Regarding the "lack of space" some have mentioned, I feel like the DVC unit is an immense improvement (space-wise and amenity-wise) over the standard WL hotel room. Once we started staying in DVC units, we never looked back. We find them so preferable that we choose visiting less often and staying in a DVC vs more often and staying in a standard Disney hotel room.

Lots of people have lots opinions about the CCV units, but I think they're absolutely lovely, and getting one for a DVC points rental price is the way to go if you can!