I have also been admonished that this is not supposed to happen, but this one time...You could book the BWV with your BWV points and call member services within 7 months and see if they will make the point usage change for you. I’ve done it before with my own points from two different resorts but it involved adding a day or shortening the trip. I may have been admonished that it was a one time deal and they really shouldn’t be doing it.
This is one of those times that the Disney Guest Services Playbook ("Never say 'no' to a guest if you can help it.") gets them into trouble. When individual CMs have the ability to do this, and it happens at even a small rate, it immediately gets broadcast to the universe via social media (see: earlier in this thread). Then it becomes an expectation when it should never be possible in the first place.Their system apparently has always allowed this loophole,
From what I understand this used to be more common/known, but they have intentionally gotten strict about not allowing the CMs to do it anymore. Not sure there is a reason to censor anything out, since the info was already was out there in the past (on other boards), and the policies already changed to clamp down on it.As I read it (earlier in this thread) I wondered if should even be censored out
I was looking at various potential options. We decided that her making our VB reservation plus cash, is the easiest way to go.I have had them do a 'reallocation' of points at 7 months too... when there is availability it's no problem, but when there isn't availability they are not supposed to do it because of the Home resort rules and advantage. Their system apparently has always allowed this loophole, and they used to be a little more willing to do it, but in recently years I was told they are getting stricter on this and are not supposed to do it.
I would not recommend counting on this loophole, but you might get lucky and find availability. Garden/Pool view would have a better chance than Boardwalk or Standard views if you want to take the risk. Don't do the transfer until you know for sure you can swap out the points.
I thought her simply booking the Vero part of the trip made the most sense for your situation, since you are doing a split stay anyway. You still need to find a way to split that room up evenly too, and transferring points again for that one doesn't make sense. Then she doesn't owe you 61 points, its much less depending on the cost of that Vero room, and could just be made up with cash, or paying for a few meals on the trip.