Reservation/points question

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I guess it depends upon what you mean by "deducted." If you have 100 points available in the use year, and you make a reservation that requires 60 points in that use year, you available balance for that use year will be 40 points as soon as you finalize the reservation.

Depending on a number of factors, if you cancel the reservation you could get those points returned to your contract.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Your available balance will show the reduced number of points after you make a reservation.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I definitely did not provide enough information.

May, 2022 BWV 2 br is 41 points/night; we're doing three nights, so 123 points. We're sharing the room with my sister (also DVC). She is going to transfer 61 points (AKV, April UY) to me to cover her half of the BWV reservation.

Since her points are AKV, I can't use them to book BWV at 11 months. I'm wondering, since her points have an April UY, if they can be used to "pay for" the 5/22 BWV reservation if she transfers them to me on 4/1/22. Those points would be in my account prior to our late May check-in.

If that doesn't work, then, since we're planning a BWV/VB split stay, she can book my VB room with her AKV points at seven months from the VB check-in date then we can figure out what else she owes me.

DopeyRunr

No, you can't use non-home points at 11 months. You have to wait to use those non-home points until 7 months.

3dadknight

You could book the BWV with your BWV points and call member services within 7 months and see if they will make the point usage change for you. I’ve done it before with my own points from two different resorts but it involved adding a day or shortening the trip. I may have been admonished that it was a one time deal and they really shouldn’t be doing it.

Strangeite

You could book the BWV with your BWV points and call member services within 7 months and see if they will make the point usage change for you. I’ve done it before with my own points from two different resorts but it involved adding a day or shortening the trip. I may have been admonished that it was a one time deal and they really shouldn’t be doing it.
I have also been admonished that this is not supposed to happen, but this one time...

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I have also been admonished that this is not supposed to happen, but this one time...
I’ve been told the space has to be available for an adjustment to be made, and that giving up what I was holding would be a risk if it wasn’t.

Micah008

Staff member
I have had them do a 'reallocation' of points at 7 months too... when there is availability it's no problem, but when there isn't availability they are not supposed to do it because of the Home resort rules and advantage. Their system apparently has always allowed this loophole, and they used to be a little more willing to do it, but in recently years I was told they are getting stricter on this and are not supposed to do it.

I would not recommend counting on this loophole, but you might get lucky and find availability. Garden/Pool view would have a better chance than Boardwalk or Standard views if you want to take the risk. Don't do the transfer until you know for sure you can swap out the points.

I thought her simply booking the Vero part of the trip made the most sense for your situation, since you are doing a split stay anyway. You still need to find a way to split that room up evenly too, and transferring points again for that one doesn't make sense. Then she doesn't owe you 61 points, its much less depending on the cost of that Vero room, and could just be made up with cash, or paying for a few meals on the trip.
https://easywdwforums.com/threads/point-transfer-question.41237/#post-438262

bnoble

he's right
Their system apparently has always allowed this loophole,
This is one of those times that the Disney Guest Services Playbook ("Never say 'no' to a guest if you can help it.") gets them into trouble. When individual CMs have the ability to do this, and it happens at even a small rate, it immediately gets broadcast to the universe via social media (see: earlier in this thread). Then it becomes an expectation when it should never be possible in the first place.

DopeyRunr

(see: earlier in this thread)
As I read it (earlier in this thread) I wondered if should even be censored out, like how threads were deleted about... I can't remember exactly, was it booking throwaway campsites to get a ridiculous amount of free magic bands?

Micah008

Staff member
As I read it (earlier in this thread) I wondered if should even be censored out
From what I understand this used to be more common/known, but they have intentionally gotten strict about not allowing the CMs to do it anymore. Not sure there is a reason to censor anything out, since the info was already was out there in the past (on other boards), and the policies already changed to clamp down on it.

DopeyRunr

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out at all. Just seemed a bit like the kind of "tips and tricks" that would get shutdown in the past.

3dadknight

I promise I wasn’t trying to suggest some underhanded trick when I first mentioned it. I was merely offering a solution to the problem posed. When I had called member services to make the changes during my first year of ownership, I had not researched the topic online. Instead I was calling member services to change something on my reservation and asked if it could be done. My comment about it being a one time deal was to caution Art not to get his hopes up. The point is that they might indeed do what he would like done, but we’ll never know unless he tries. The best source to find out is member services who would have to complete the transaction. If they say yes, good for Art. If they say no, at least he tried but he still has the reservation at BWV he wanted and had booked at 11 months with his BWV points.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I have had them do a 'reallocation' of points at 7 months too... when there is availability it's no problem, but when there isn't availability they are not supposed to do it because of the Home resort rules and advantage. Their system apparently has always allowed this loophole, and they used to be a little more willing to do it, but in recently years I was told they are getting stricter on this and are not supposed to do it.

I would not recommend counting on this loophole, but you might get lucky and find availability. Garden/Pool view would have a better chance than Boardwalk or Standard views if you want to take the risk. Don't do the transfer until you know for sure you can swap out the points.

I thought her simply booking the Vero part of the trip made the most sense for your situation, since you are doing a split stay anyway. You still need to find a way to split that room up evenly too, and transferring points again for that one doesn't make sense. Then she doesn't owe you 61 points, its much less depending on the cost of that Vero room, and could just be made up with cash, or paying for a few meals on the trip.
https://easywdwforums.com/threads/point-transfer-question.41237/#post-438262
I was looking at various potential options. We decided that her making our VB reservation plus cash, is the easiest way to go.