Resort decision in December

MinnieMouse3

Hello! I am having the hardest time deciding where to stay with my family this December. This will be an adults only trip with 3 people. My Mom isn’t a big park person and has some mobility issues so this will be primarily a trip to see Christmas decorations but we are going to AK, Epcot and MVMCP. We originally agreed to stay at All Star Movies and I have that booked for all 5 nights. It’s my Mom’s first trip to Disney since I was a young child so I want to make it extra magical and decided maybe I would upgrade our hotel as a surprise (I would pay the difference). I have been able to book Animal Kingdom Lodge which I love for Christmas for the first 4 nights. Our flight leaves very early the last morning so I was thinking we could stay the last night at ASM or try the new tower at CSR. It would still be a split stay which is a bit annoying but not the end of the world. The other choice is first 3 nights at CSR in a standard room and last 2 nights at WL. I would love to stay at WL at Christmas and I really like CSR but I do worry about my Mom walking long distances at CSR and our itinerary is set and WL would not be the night of our Christmas party so location isn’t quite as nice. I’m really rambling now but if you had to choose for 3 adults at Christmas would you pick:

5 nights at All Star Movies (would maybe add a nice dinner or dessert party with savings)
4 nights Animal Kingdom Lodge, 1 Night All Star Movies
3 nights Coronado Springs, 2 nights Wilderness Lodge

Thanks!

hizouse

With the caveat that I have never been in December or on an adults-only trip, I would choose option 3. If one of your party isn't a big park person, then a nicer resort makes more sense. And when doing a split stay, I'd rather upgrade in the second half instead of downgrade. WL is supposed to have tremendous Christmas decorations; would you be able to enjoy it on 1 of the 2 days there before departure? I have zero first-hand knowledge of CSR, but I think that if you stay in the tower there wouldn't be too much walking.

Perhaps I am under the influence of always moving and packing for little kids, but moving to ASM for 1 night sounds like too much hassle for too little benefit to me.

bnoble

he's right
I also like Option #3, for the same reasons---move is an upgrade not a downgrade, WL is *awesome* during the holidays, and moving to one night seems to chaotic. I might also advocate for just upgrading to the CSR tower for the whole stay, and making liberal use of Uber/Lyft/taxis/Minnie Vans to see resort decorations. Moving can be a hassle.

Anne

Option 2 because I love AKL. Is availability what is keeping you from doing all 5 nights there, or cost? If cost I think I would cut something else from the budget to avoid moving the last night. Or move the all stars night to arrival. You can still use all the resort amenities at AKL first thing on your check in day, even if your room isn't available. And then you are making a move before everything is unpacked and settled into the room.

MinnieMouse3

Thank you for all the replies! It’s availability that’s keeping me from all being at AKL, I keep checking to see if a room becomes available for the last night but nothing so far.

broncobill

Just curious why you have to have a split stay? I never understand this because I would not want to from one resort to the next.
But with that being said, if your mom is not going to a park, and has mobility issues, AKL would be nice for her because of all the scenery and animals to watch. I'm sure the cost is significant.
I just think a nicer resort is much better for some one that will basically be staying at the resort most of the time.

MinnieMouse3

Ideally we wouldn’t do a split stay but at this point I haven’t been able to get a reservation for the same resort for all the nights outside of ASM

broncobill

Ideally we wouldn’t do a split stay but at this point I haven’t been able to get a reservation for the same resort for all the nights outside of ASM
Have you tried calling? Sometimes if you call Disney Reservations they can get you something that you can't get on line.