Resort Parking Fees Coming? (rumor)

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I wonder how they'll distinguish between "Day Guests" who park and "Resort Guests" who park. I expected a validation type system but that doesn't appear to be what they're doing. Separate/barricaded parking areas seems like too much expense to set up. Are they going to cross-reference every vehicle parked overnight with the information from the front desk? I can't see them towing vehicles.

bnoble

he's right
Boy this pretty much sucks for folks like me who live close enough to drive
My guess: this is by design. It is not hard to imagine that (on average) people who fly to the resort visit less frequently and spend more per visit than folks who drive. If your resorts are full-to-overflowing, you might want to create incentives that specifically discourage folks in the latter category without discouraging folks in the former.

In other words: there is a reason this is a nightly parking fee, and not a nightly resort fee.

lovett1979

This will also change the math for people who consider doing throwaway nights.
I'm not sure how? If you do a throwaway, you don't actually park at the resort, just the parks. They scan your MB to confirm you are a resort guest, but unless they can also tell whether or not you've paid the parking fee, you should still be able to park for free, right?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I'm not sure how? If you do a throwaway, you don't actually park at the resort, just the parks. They scan your MB to confirm you are a resort guest, but unless they can also tell whether or not you've paid the parking fee, you should still be able to park for free, right?
If you have a car and are staying at a resort, you'd pay a parking fee, no? Resort stays are tied to MBs, so it's not to difficult for someone at a resort parking gate to flag a car on your reservation; theme park parking would be another "perk" of paying the resort parking fee.

baloocrew

Welp, if they are trying to thin the crowds, then it worked with me! After spending way too much money on Disney over the past however many years, I'm tapping out. Happy we got in so many trips, tired of being nickel and dimed. Someone can have my parking space... :)

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
If you have a car and are staying at a resort, you'd pay a parking fee, no? Resort stays are tied to MBs, so it's not to difficult for someone at a resort parking gate to flag a car on your reservation; theme park parking would be another "perk" of paying the resort parking fee.
But I thought the reason it was called a "throwaway night" is that you're NOT actually staying at the resort.

mgarbowski

Just LOLling at the idea that a striped piece of asphalt costs more depending on whether the resort rooms have microwaves, or the pools have big slides. I get the logic, but it still seems dumb when I think of it this way.

Selfishly glad about the DVC exemptions.

I figure they will enforce this by just adding it to the room charge by asking you if you plan to bring a car and park it when you check-in. And if upon arrival you present at the guard gate with a car (excluding taxis, Uber, etc) , the guard will check if your reservation lists a car. If it does not, the charge will be added then, unless you can plausibly explain why you are showing up in a car if you aren't going to park it. And if there is no car listed on the reservation your magic band will not open the automatic gate barrier even though you are staying there.

Last edited:

Momofpirates

I don't understand why it costs more to park at deluxes than at values. Are they trying to stop people from parking for free at a resort and then using the bus/boat/monorail/walk to the parks (doubtful, since the charge is per night)? I do wonder how it will be charged and how they will know who has a car and who doesn't.

We always drive to WDW. This won't affect us because we are staying off-site in a condo this trip, but it wouldn't sit well if we were staying on-site. It seems as if the prices for the resorts keep going up and the benefits are decreasing.

geek1997

Another incentive to stay offsite now - or rather less of a downside to staying offsite. It "now" costs the same to pay for parking at a park as anything higher than a value, right? WBC is starting to look more and more attractive for our possible "Year of Disney" in 2020 or later. The list I mentioned in bnoble's post about WDW Angst has just gotten longer.

Also, will be curious to see if the next phase of discounts is released on/around 3/21. Do you think that the fee will apply if you "adjust" your reservation to pick up new discounts after 3/21?

RMmom

When we book a night at a chicago hotel, we don't have to pay for our vehicle to be parked until we drive up with our vehicle and put it in their lot on their property.
If we are doing a throwaway night but never put our car in a resort parking lot over our 2 day stay....there is no way they can charge us for using the lot.

I think when you check in, you will have to declare your car and get a valid window hanging or something to show you paid for your stay. It would be a mess to have people pre-pay or charged before stay. Plans change and I would hope with something like this, they would wait to charge you and your vehicle until your arrival day.
and then, people without the window hanging overnight would be towed.

and btw, those prices are cheap. We have paid $60 to park our car overnight in Chicago.
I agree it sucks to add it on to an already expensive trip but at least they left the fees very low, in comparison to what I have had to pay to park before.

Momofpirates

Also, will be curious to see if the next phase of discounts is released on/around 3/21. Do you think that the fee will apply if you "adjust" your reservation to pick up new discounts after 3/21?
Probably. Any time you change an already-booked package, it is subject to increased ticket pricing or whatever, this probably won't be any different.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
I get free theme parking with my AP. Maybe I'll just park the van at Epcot and leave it for my entire stay. :) Crazy that it's free for me as an AP holder to park at a theme park but not at a resort. It'll be interesting to see if businesses pop up close to WDW allowing you to park your car much cheaper and be shuttled to your resort. Many folks who drive vs fly don't move their vehicle the entire time they're staying (we used to be like this).

BeckyW

But I thought the reason it was called a "throwaway night" is that you're NOT actually staying at the resort.
Agreed.
And Ft Wilderness is allowing 1 car for free per campsite, so the throw away night is a non-issue here I think?

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
ok... maybe this has already been asked and answered elsewhere ... is it still free to park at the parks if you are a resort guest ?