Resort Parking Fees Coming? (rumor)

Momofpirates

It'll be interesting to see if businesses pop up close to WDW allowing you to park your car much cheaper and be shuttled to your resort. Many folks who drive vs fly don't move their vehicle the entire time they're staying (we used to be like this).
Wonder how long it will be before people park their cars at DS overnight and use the buses? (No, I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure some will).

paxsarah

I'm waiting for local businesses to set up park and ride type situations that charge $7-10/nt for parking offsite. It seems like a logical response.

All I can say is I'm glad our May trip is already booked. We're probably looking at Bonnet Creek for future stays rather than the RCI exchanges into SSR that we've been doing the last few times.

Pres.Merkin

For what it’s worth I’d like to add my two cents in here. In the interest of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 2017. Both times I flew and stayed onsite using MDE and Disney transportation. Now even though I’m a relatively short nine hour drive away, thanks to an abundance of airline miles I will continue to fly so the parking fees don’t impact me as of now. I will say if I was to drive or rent a car id be moved to stay off site after this change. This latest move aggravates me.

Over the past few weeks I have been caught between my heart telling me to go back to WDW and my brain telling me to use my 2018 vacation dollars someplace else. To me a trip to WDW is an escape from the real world, and up till recently I felt like Disney understood that and was even a partner in this mindset. Disney was always there to say “hey we know you need a break, and we are here for you and we will do everything we can for you”. Now I fully understand in the back of my mind that Disney has always done what they can to save and make a buck but it just feels like recently things have gone a bit too far at the expense of customer experience.

I took my last trip in September of 17, and before that was January of 17, and I could tell a difference in September. While it didn’t seem like the park was any more crowded the lines seemed much longer. I’m well aware of the reduced capacity that Josh has been talking about for a while (even if others are just now catching on). Reduced operating hours, increased number of upcharge events, and things like that are one thing but when I keep seeing more downtime on rides, and reports of dirty parks coupled with moves like resort parking fees, well it just feels like Disney giving me the finger and saying don’t come back we don’t care somebody will pay it and put up with our crap. I’m a laid back guy and I can put up with a lot, annual price increases don’t both me, tiered pricing on hotels and tickets don’t bother me. But I guess I’m at the point where I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough back for what I put in given the perceived attitude of Disney operations.
I’m still debating if I should book a trip for early 2019, I really want to, but there’s a lot of this world I haven’t seen.

In short, Disney I don’t want to stop visiting. I want to come spend my vacation time and money on you, please just give me a reason to visit, please make me feel appreciated. If not maybe it is time to visit Italy, or Norway or Germany instead of their pavilions in EPCOT.

I apologize for the long and whiny post, it’s just some thoughts that have been on my mind and I finally had to put it out there.

Pres.Merkin

For what it’s worth I’d like to add my two cents in here. In the interest of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 2017. Both times I flew and stayed onsite using MDE and Disney transportation. Now even though I’m a relatively short nine hour drive away, thanks to an abundance of airline miles I will continue to fly so the parking fees don’t impact me as of now. I will say if I was to drive or rent a car id be moved to stay off site after this change. This latest move aggravates me.

Over the past few weeks I have been caught between my heart telling me to go back to WDW and my brain telling me to use my 2018 vacation dollars someplace else. To me a trip to WDW is an escape from the real world, and up till recently I felt like Disney understood that and was even a partner in this mindset. Disney was always there to say “hey we know you need a break, and we are here for you and we will do everything we can for you”. Now I fully understand in the back of my mind that Disney has always done what they can to save and make a buck but it just feels like recently things have gone a bit too far at the expense of customer experience.

I took my last trip in September of 17, and before that was January of 17, and I could tell a difference in September. While it didn’t seem like the park was any more crowded the lines seemed much longer. I’m well aware of the reduced capacity that Josh has been talking about for a while (even if others are just now catching on). Reduced operating hours, increased number of upcharge events, and things like that are one thing but when I keep seeing more downtime on rides, and reports of dirty parks coupled with moves like resort parking fees, well it just feels like Disney giving me the finger and saying don’t come back we don’t care somebody will pay it and put up with our crap. I’m a laid back guy and I can put up with a lot, annual price increases don’t both me, tiered pricing on hotels and tickets don’t bother me. But I guess I’m at the point where I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough back for what I put in given the perceived attitude of Disney operations.
I’m still debating if I should book a trip for early 2019, I really want to, but there’s a lot of this world I haven’t seen.

In short, Disney I don’t want to stop visiting. I want to come spend my vacation time and money on you, please just give me a reason to visit, please make me feel appreciated. If not maybe it is time to visit Italy, or Norway or Germany instead of their pavilions in EPCOT.

I apologize for the long and whiny post, it’s just some thoughts that have been on my mind and I finally had to put it out there.

mgarbowski

Have you seen this thread? Come join the party.
https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?38829-Existential-angst-as-a-WDW-fan

cdmurphy727

Anyone think the "nickel and dime-ing" is in preparation for Star Wars opening up? To me it makes sense that Disney is slowly adding in some extra costs because even if people get mad about it now, come 2019 when the Millennium Falcon is open the crowds are gonna flock the World and pay whatever the heck Disney wants no questions asked. Of course, Disney is going to try to capitalize on the increased crowds there for Star Wars in any way they can.

cboyer

The parking fees don't effect me personally, as we typically don't rent a car in Disney. But it is another item in a long line of how Disney is getting more expensive. Not only are the pricing of everything going up, but the valve of it all is going down. We all have plenty of examples of that over the years.

Disney is skating a fine line here. There comes a certain point where people will just say it is not worth it anymore. But with attendance up and earnings up they are getting away with it for now. When they do tip the scale I think the fallout will be big.

Nia

They seem to leave the UK & Ireland market out of this fee for now.

"Official news from Disney UK is that for any booking made before 31/12/2019 parking will be free. Bookings made on or after 31/12/2019 will be charged as per the prices stated.

This applied to all UK and Ireland bookings from not only Disney UK but from other UK travel agents too."

mgarbowski

This topic tickled something in my brain, like we discussed it before. So I did a search and it actually worked and I found this thread:
https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?31450-End-to-morning-EMH-Something-new/page2&highlight=contract+parking
And that thread led to this article:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program-51703/owning-dvc-81414/news-27910/3299-guests-surveyed-on-resort-fee#discussion

First off, it is interesting that WDW ran a survey 2 years ago about potential resort fees to cover a whole host of items, not just parking fees. Next, it seems that if you read the DVC contract, the cost of DME, WiFI, Magic Bands, parking and security are included in DVC dues. DVC dues also pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the lots. So Disney's decision not to charge DVC members for parking was not a decision to grant a perk for certain classes of customers. They simply cannot double charge us as we are already paying for it per the contract terms.

Now in some sense, regular guests are also already paying for these items in inflated room rates. But since it is not spelled out in an existing contract (every new reservation can be subject to new terms) Disney can modify things more freely.

But I'm also now thinking that Disney might be obligated to use some portion of these parking fees to offset the cost of maintaining the lots that are currently being charged to DVC members. DVC members own at least some percentage of each lot. That's why we pay to maintain them. If those lots are generating income, some of that should be allocated to offset the costs incurred by DVC owners. I''m not expecting a windfall, or even a halt to dues increases. I probably won't even bother to inquire. I just found it interesting to consider that the dues increase for DVC members might be a couple of pennies lower next year than it would have been due to this new charge.

beachta1

The only places I've understood / thought parking fees at hotels were justified were parking garages in cities. Space is limited and rent for the garage is probably high.

I also think the way the fees are set up by type of resort is backwards. You can stay at Pop and have your car right outside your window. At some of the deluxe resorts, it could be a 5 minutes walk to your car from your room.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
At some of the deluxe resorts, it could be a 5 minutes walk to your car from your room.
Or longer. BW is bad for this - we often ended up in the "back lot" across the road by Speedway (formerly Hess). Even at POFQ the parking situation can be pretty bad depending on what building you're in. This whole parking thing just p***es me off... :RpS_mad:

mgarbowski

Or longer. BW is bad for this - we often ended up in the "back lot" across the road by Speedway (formerly Hess). Even at POFQ the parking situation can be pretty bad depending on what building you're in. This whole parking thing just p***es me off... :RpS_mad:
Wow. I knew BW was bad but not that bad. We stayed there a couple of times -- both during Easter Week -- and the main lot was often just a few spots from being full, but we always found something. I'd be pretty unhappy about having to cross over to that auxiliary lot, and even now I can get a little snippy sometimes when people come here asking how they can finagle a way to park at BW and then use the International Gateway to Epcot.

pixarprincess

Wow. I knew BW was bad but not that bad. We stayed there a couple of times -- both during Easter Week -- and the main lot was often just a few spots from being full, but we always found something. I'd be pretty unhappy about having to cross over to that auxiliary lot, and even now I can get a little snippy sometimes when people come here asking how they can finagle a way to park at BW and then use the International Gateway to Epcot.
Maybe thats why they decided to charge? because lots are getting overcrowded? I don't know, it doesnt bother me. But then again 1. I live in california where you pay to park everywhere. 2. We dont normally have a car at WDW and 3. Were DVC so I already pay and dont use it anyway. It is what it is. It's not going to stop me from going. I am more offended by the substandard puck that quick service calls a hamburger. But I can see for some people how this is a bigger deal.

geek1997

Disney is skating a fine line here. There comes a certain point where people will just say it is not worth it anymore. But with attendance up and earnings up they are getting away with it for now. When they do tip the scale I think the fallout will be big.
This. I think they are trying to see how far they can push it. Because they can. I'm wonder though if tipping the scale will come later rather than sooner because of the opening of Star Wars Land - more people are going to want to be there and be willing to pay for it.

I am more offended by the substandard puck that quick service calls a hamburger.
I am also offended by this. The parking fee is just one more thing Disney is asking us to blindly accept.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
Just for the heck of it, the day before this thread (and the somewhat related "angst" thread) were posted, I compiled a "WDW trip summary" for all of our trips. Since 2010 we've stayed on Disney property a total of 139 nights at various resorts within all three levels. If I apply the parking prices to those stays, I would have spent an additional $3,145 just for parking.

mgarbowski

Just for the heck of it, the day before this thread (and the somewhat related "angst" thread) were posted, I compiled a "WDW trip summary" for all of our trips. Since 2010 we've stayed on Disney property a total of 139 nights at various resorts within all three levels. If I apply the parking prices to those stays, I would have spent an additional $3,145 just for parking.
dayum

pixarprincess

I am also offended by this. The parking fee is just one more thing Disney is asking us to blindly accept.
I am sorry you are offended that I am more offended by the food than the parking. I can see why this is a big deal for some. My point was its probably not a big deal for everyone. Everyone has their sticking points. There are a lot of things at Disney that are potentially less than ideal for some people. It is totally up to you to decide to stay off site, or not go to Disney at all. We "vote" with our dollars. If parking fees, or declining food quality with increasing cost, or rising ticket costs or what have you keeps people from going Disney will make changes. But as long as people go and they are seeing steady or rising profit... They don't really have a reason to stop nickle and diming us.

bnoble

he's right
This. I think they are trying to see how far they can push it. Because they can.
They are not extending 60-day FP+ to offsite resorts to be nice. They are doing it because when people call to book a package, the Resort is sold out. Disney knows what they are doing. They know how many people this will drive away, and they are comfortable with it.