Rise of the Resistence Boarding Group?

Strangeite

I have heard conflicting advice on securing a boarding group. Most of what I have read online is that everyone in your party should be trying to secure a boarding group to increase your chances. However, I have family that was down this past week and they report that cast members were constantly warning people that only one person from each group should be attempting to secure a boarding group. Apparently their reasoning is that when multiple members of your group are trying to grab a boarding group it can confuse the system and glitch.

So should only one member of a group be attempting to grab the boarding pass, or everyone with a phone?

Micah008

Staff member
I heard this elsewhere too.

We attempted from multiple back in January, and didn't have any issues. The second person getting to it just saw what the first had already gotten. I am not sure how much changed with their system since then.

I'm sure having every group hitting their servers from multiple devices was part of the reason their system was sluggish, maybe CMs warning people is just a way to not have the servers hit so hard?

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
When we were at DL back in February, all three of us tried simultaneously. Over the course of three days, each of us was the "winner" once. One morning I got an error, another day my wife did. If either of us had been the only person to attempt it, we would have missed out on that day.

bnoble

he's right
When we were at DL back in February, all three of us tried simultaneously. Over the course of three days, each of us was the "winner" once. One morning I got an error, another day my wife did. If either of us had been the only person to attempt it, we would have missed out on that day.
This. We went twice. One day we both got through, the other day my app froze. If my daughter had not also been trying we would not have gotten on.

If I were going, I would have at least a couple of people trying. If you have a party of ten, maybe not everyone needs to though.

Strangeite

Thanks everyone. Sounds like we all have the same suspicion that the cast member "warnings" are more helpful for Disney's servers than for a specific individual party. I will tell myself that utilizing multiple devices falls in the self-interest category of behavior and not being selfish.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
It's not at all selfish - you're not taking multiple passes per person. You're simply operating with knowledge of how the system works, the same way you know to line up well before the park opens because they invariably open the turnstiles earlier than the posted entry times.

smwisc

Thanks everyone. Sounds like we all have the same suspicion that the cast member "warnings" are more helpful for Disney's servers than for a specific individual party. I will tell myself that utilizing multiple devices falls in the self-interest category of behavior and not being selfish.
This is the consensus on the "other" board as well, where there are approximately 56989480358 posts on the subject.

cboyer

We just used multiple phones (both DH and mine) last week and had no glitching problems. Good luck getting a pass, hope you are able to ride, it was really fun.

Strangeite

This is why I love the internet.

We did experience a glitch, and it was totally my fault. In the past, we have always had one MDX account for FP+s, ADRs, resort reservations, tickets, etc. But in preparation for getting a boarding group, I sent "inventations" to my wife and teenage daughter. They created their own MDX accounts and the night before, it looked like they we were all good.

And for future readers, if you ever ask a question to the zeitgeist and figure out the answer, come back and post the answer. Somebody might stumble upon your question.

Day 1, no problem. We all got Boarding Group 31.

Day 2, ERROR. My daughter was faster on the button. But it only secured a boarding group for herself and me. My wife and youngest son were locked out.

Within 30 seconds I realized the problem. I had sent them invitations to be my "Family and Friends" but we hadn't done it between them. So when my daughter got Boarding Group 16, it secured it for me and her, but not her mother and brother. We should have linked as "Family and Friends" between the accounts.

It worked out. We were in line for Slinky Dog when I felt the Sword of Damocles descend upon me. I told my family that I need to leave the line and see if I can fix it. After explaining my situation, a wonderful cast member solved my problem and i was able to walk back and my family was just about to enter the interior part of the Slinky Dog queue. My family thought I was the man and I got to also ride Slinky Dog for the first time.

TL;DR. Make sure EVERYONE is linked as friends and family in MDX before trying to get a boarding group.