Rope dropping from offsite

As with many people I feel my previous years of experience has been rendered moot by the new protocols. My family is planning a quick trip at the beginning of September and we are looking at staying offsite. We have been offsite many times in the past (and onsite as well) and are generally comfortable with the offsite trade-off. However, I don't have a great feel for how getting to ropedrop from offsite works now.

As with so many thing I realize that the protocols of today may change by September, but I am trying to plan for downside situations. Is the contemporary uber drop-off not a thing anymore? Would we be held outside the parking lot at some parks? While it seems like the advantage of onsite has shrunk in some ways, this may be an area where the disadvantage of ofsite has grown, so I am not sure if I know how to make the right trade-off.

hizouse

Is the contemporary uber drop-off not a thing anymore?
It is, but the guards don't let you in unless you have an ADR (e.g., at the Wave). I am curious to know what would happen if you just got out and started walking while the driver was talking to the guard.

Would we be held outside the parking lot at some parks?
Yes, but the same as every onsite guest who's driving. For people driving, as of now, there is no advantage for onsite vs offsite. Skyliner and WDW buses still beat everyone driving and parking. And obviously the onsite resorts within walking distance of the parks have the biggest advantage.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I am curious to know what would happen if you just got out and started walking while the driver was talking to the guard.
I've been wondering the same. A few years ago, we Ubered to the Contemporary to walk to MK and when we pulled in, told the guard that we were meeting friends at Contempo Café. They gave us a "yeah, sure you are..." look but let us in.

bnoble

he's right
The roads north of MK parking (servicing WL, CR, Poly, and GR) are already severely congested, particularly at peak times. If even 5% of MK's day guests "just got dropped off real quick" it would be completely impassable.

I know I'm shouting into the wind on this, but I've decided to just park at the TTC like everyone else. That might mean I miss out on a ride or two, but that's a trade off I can personally live with. The only reason I drive to one of the MK area resorts is if I have an ADR there---and I only make one of those if I'm actually going to eat there. If you'd rather get a ride, you can use the MK drop-off area and I think that will bypass the wait at the parking booths. You'd still need to hop a monorail or ferry to get to the park from there though.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
The roads north of MK parking (servicing WL, CR, Poly, and GR) are already severely congested, particularly at peak times. If even 5% of MK's day guests "just got dropped off real quick" it would be completely impassable.

I know I'm shouting into the wind on this, but I've decided to just park at the TTC like everyone else. That might mean I miss out on a ride or two, but that's a trade off I can personally live with. The only reason I drive to one of the MK area resorts is if I have an ADR there---and I only make one of those if I'm actually going to eat there. If you'd rather get a ride, you can use the MK drop-off area and I think that will bypass the wait at the parking booths. You'd still need to hop a monorail or ferry to get to the park from there though.

Yeah, I've looked at that area just past the CR entrance. No shoulder, lots of traffic. Not a safe place to stop and discharge passengers.