Runaway Railway

bnoble

he's right
My (college-senior) daughter and I decided to wait in a longer-than-sane line last night to ride Runaway Railway so that we could get an "opening day" credit on it. This is nearing the end of our trip, and we'd already done most everything else on our agenda, so we figured why not?

We really liked it! I won't spoil it at all, except to tell you that the song is a total earworm, and we've been singing it ever since. It is a worthy addition to the Studios, and we both liked it more than GMR. Plenty of fun surprises, a few laugh out loud moments, and just a good time. We put it a bit behind Rise of the Resistance (which is awesome in every sense of the word) and ahead of Falcon (which is okay, but not worth a significant line in our opinion).

She also thought Slinky was one-and-done. Cute, but not much of a coaster. We are spoiled thrill junkies, though, so our coaster opinions are probably not something the casual fan should listen to!

bnoble

he's right
Other new-ish stuff notes:

The Beauty and the Beast sing along was cute. It is probably most fun with a raucous crowd; ours was only okay. Quiet ballads (Tale as Old as Time) aren't great for sing alongs, unfortunately. The new Canada movie was okay; much more about the landscape and things to see vs. the people-emphasis that the last one had. I'm happy to note that they kept the song.

Studios is *much* easier to tour in the evening than the morning. We did not even try to rope-drop anything "hard", and started by Coaster/Tower both days. That was a very chill experience. The second day we tried to manage that explicitly. We got an early boarding group (18) that was called by 8:24 (1 hour return). We did Coaster at rope drop and Chewbacca before Rise, used a Falcon FP+, and then took the Skyliner to Epcot for a strolling lunch at the festival kiosks. The Skyliner took about 25 minutes to get from Studios gate to Epcot gate, give or take. It was a *hot* day (upper 80s-90 and winter-humid) but the cabins were very comfortable. We then went back to resort to nap, and came back for the evening.

We noticed some "casual" Character presence in the parks, particularly Galaxy's Edge and the Magic Kingdom. Peter Pan was with a guest trying to pull the Sword in the Stone. I ended up running into Big Al outside Country Bears. There were a few others. This was a nice change from past trips, when the Characters seemed limited to formal meet-n-greets.

We were there for a week, and had only three CS meals the entire time. Breakfast was in our SSR 1BR villa, but everything else was either a TS meal or Festival kiosks. This was pricey, but the new DDP+ would have been more expensive. That's because we are not big drinkers, and we had a mix of less expensive and more expensive meals. We also tend to order only an entree, infrequently an appetizer, and almost never dessert. If you are using your Disney Visa at a restaurant that offers a discount, be sure to mention it. I had to one or twice and eventually just got into the habit of doing it.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but we scored a Ford Mustang convertible at National's Executive Aisle. Totally fun car. Saratoga is really growing on me. I know it's the red-headed stepchild of DVC, but we had an upper floor Paddock room in the 51-54 building, facing south towards the lake. Very peaceful and relaxing. We didn't need much in the way of groceries, so just ordered via DVC. They delivered without us being in the room, and put things away. They even brought our Owner's Locker with the groceries, which I was not expecting. I guess the $10 service charge was enough to get that to happen? (We also got the DVC Member discount but should not have--I think that was just a mistake.)

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
We noticed some "casual" Character presence in the parks, particularly Galaxy's Edge and the Magic Kingdom. Peter Pan was with a guest trying to pull the Sword in the Stone. I ended up running into Big Al outside Country Bears.
We've seen both wandering rather than stationary. It's fun, and I wish they did more characters like that. Big Al seems to like the "boardwalk" along the water in Frontierland; PP we've seen just bopping around Fantasyland, chatting quickly with people then running along to someone else. Fun to watch.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
The wandering characters are a staple at Disneyland, which I always found charming. It's as if they lived there and were just out on the town, as it were.

Brian, any thoughts about MMRR's capacity? Do lines move quickly, number of people in them or FPP notwithstanding? I.e., how easy would it be to RD if there weren't already 10,000 people in the park at opening?

bnoble

he's right
The dynamics of Studios are so very strange right now because a very large chunk of guests who want to be there that day are in the park before it opens. But, MMRR seems to be above average in terms of capacity, as far as I can tell. At some point the TP folks will be counting guests at the exits to estimate throughput if they haven't done that already.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
The dynamics of Studios are so very strange right now because a very large chunk of guests who want to be there that day are in the park before it opens. But, MMRR seems to be above average in terms of capacity, as far as I can tell. At some point the TP folks will be counting guests at the exits to estimate throughput if they haven't done that already.
A friend who was there recently said, re DHS, "lots of people sitting around doing nothing because the lines are so long." Looking at the DHS wait times yesterday and this morning, it looks like MMRR has helped with that a little.

re Saratoga growing on you...
We stayed at Saratoga last trip, and I really enjoyed all aspects except one...the landscaping was sub par and the cleanliness was also not ideal for exterior landscaping. There was garbage in the bushes the whole time we were there and it didn't hold a candle to CSR landscaping, for example. I love feeling immersed by the beauty that Disney does so well, and I felt they dropped the ball at Saratoga! Otherwise, we really enjoy the resort.

bnoble

he's right
Interesting. I did not have that reaction at all. I think the landscaping has matured nicely from the moonscape it was at the beginning. Stately but understated.

It could be we just happened upon bad luck! There were beer bottles and napkins in the bushes and scattered about outside our window for the whole trip! Bizarre. Plus we had a leak, which causes them to move us to another room, which created drama because we were without a room for a full day and I had a sick one who needed to get to a room. It sounds like we just had bad luck at SSR and I would be willing to try it again!