RunDisney Team easyWDW

beachta1

Anyone else out there been running or training? I need to start pounding the pavement to get ready for the 10K.

Mrs Darling

The cost of the Wine & Dine was too much for me to justify a virtual race.
I'm a few weeks into a 10k training plan though. Friends have organized an unofficial "race" for just our run club at the end of Oct. Invite by word of mouth only to keep it small.
We've got probably 200 members but groups (in before-times) would be 40-50 runners at a time. We've broken up into mini-groups of 4-6 runners over the summer which is nice because schedules can be more flexible. The Oct run (covid-permitting) will be the first time seeing most of the club since February.
We did a slow-ish 10k on Saturday. Longest distance I've run since the Princess half but it felt pretty good!

lovett1979

I've been training for the W&D 10k, but it's hard to stay motivated. I think I'm a half mile behind where I'd like to be.

Mrs. Darling, any chance you're in the NYC area? I'd love to do my "race" with other people.

Mrs Darling

I've been training for the W&D 10k, but it's hard to stay motivated. I think I'm a half mile behind where I'd like to be.

Mrs. Darling, any chance you're in the NYC area? I'd love to do my "race" with other people.
No. Im in the great white North “sorry” 😉
But half a mile is easy to catch up. I know it’s been hard to get motivated for me too. I track my mileage on a calendar & the visual helps. Hate to see all those blank spots day after day.

BoSoxGal

I’ve found that since I canceled our room reservations for what would have been my first princess half (and first half ever), I haven’t been motivated at all to run. I also got really tired of running in my neighborhood. I have a new treadmill coming this week - I decided it was worth the investment since winter is coming. Hopefully that revives my spirit! I have asthma so I’m pretty strict about where I go though. I can’t wait until all of this is over.

nolarookie

I’ve found that since I canceled our room reservations for what would have been my first princess half (and first half ever), I haven’t been motivated at all to run. I also got really tired of running in my neighborhood. I have a new treadmill coming this week - I decided it was worth the investment since winter is coming. Hopefully that revives my spirit! I have asthma so I’m pretty strict about where I go though. I can’t wait until all of this is over.
My running friends and I have decided to train for and complete a do it yourself 1/2 to stay motivated in December (Winter is better running weather here)

Anne

I've been keeping up a half-marathon-ready maintenance routine. I've found virtual races helpful to stay motivated. My son has done several virtual 5 Ks so he gets me out when I'm not feeling it. He LOVES medals (he's 8) so I'm not feeling quite so bad about the ridiculous cost for runDisney's summer virtual 5 K series. They turned out to be really nice high-quality medals and were worth it in motivation for him.

I've finally been consistent about speed work (still don't love it) and have done some informal time trials as another strategy to set goals and stay motivated in the absence of in-person races.

I was supposed to be ramping up for the Chicago marathon right now. But that is beyond my motivational power. I would not be willing to take on a virtual marathon (not that Chicago offered a virtual option, but I have impressive colleagues doing Boston virtual).

BoSoxGal

I've been keeping up a half-marathon-ready maintenance routine. I've found virtual races helpful to stay motivated. My son has done several virtual 5 Ks so he gets me out when I'm not feeling it. He LOVES medals (he's 8) so I'm not feeling quite so bad about the ridiculous cost for runDisney's summer virtual 5 K series. They turned out to be really nice high-quality medals and were worth it in motivation for him.
That’s so funny my son just turned 6 and we’ve done two one mile racewire virtual runs. He loves the medals too! I figure it’s cheap and gets us moving. When did your son do his first 5K? The mile seems just right for my son so far.

Maybe I’ll look into one of the bigger virtual ones. I need to figure out why I’m not getting runDisney emails even though I’ve signed up. Usually it’s the opposite with that stuff!

Anne

That’s so funny my son just turned 6 and we’ve done two one mile racewire virtual runs. He loves the medals too! I figure it’s cheap and gets us moving. When did your son do his first 5K? The mile seems just right for my son so far.
He did his first 5 K run/walk Turkey trot at 6.5 yrs. He did several run/walk 5 Ks over the next year. Over time he gradually increased the time running vs walking. It is very self-directed and I just keep whatever pace he wants to do. He decided early spring this year he wanted to win the school fun-run that was ultimately cancelled. The result was he started the summer pretty comfortable with 2 miles of continuous running. Since spring he's been averaging 2 runs a week with me. I usually keep him to 2 miles most days but if he really wants to extend longer I'll let him. His first Disney virtual 5 K was still a run-walk. But by #2 and #3 he could run the whole course. Every kid is different and I think the key is to have fun and follow their lead.

BoSoxGal

This is very helpful! I want it to be fun first for sure. I like the idea of walking the 5k to start.

I decided to sign up for the Star Wars virtual half yesterday. I thought it would be a good one since I can combine runs if I don’t make it to the full half. It will be a good test! Time to start getting out the cool weather gear here in New England!

lovett1979

Thanks for the update. I’m definitely not surprised. I wonder how hard it will be to get a virtual spot. I’ll take some Disney magic anyway I can get it these days!
If they're like W&D was, I think they were available for a little bit and then sold out. So you don't have to be on right at 10am, but you don't want to wait too long.

They also announced the themes/images for the races

Also, the pricing is different than the previous virtual races. You can choose the "Magic" option or the "More Magic Option." The only difference is that "More Magic" includes the shirt. The prices are different depending on the race distance (which seems ridiculous), and the difference between Magic and More Magic is not consistent, which makes no sense. But that's the way it is.

I think I'm going to do the Princess 5k, at the "Magic" pricing.

Mrs Darling

Aww. I love the designs for the Marathon weekend & I’m sad that this is only open to US participants. Oh well. I don’t need another medal or shirt. 😕

Anne

Thanks for the update. I’m definitely not surprised. I wonder how hard it will be to get a virtual spot. I’ll take some Disney magic anyway I can get it these days!
It seemed like wine and dine was available for quite awhile, maybe a week? But they may not have as many extra medals for marathon/princess since they were smaller numbers than normal for original registration. I have no idea what the lead-time is for medal manufacturing.

BoSoxGal

It seemed like wine and dine was available for quite awhile, maybe a week? But they may not have as many extra medals for marathon/princess since they were smaller numbers than normal for original registration. I have no idea what the lead-time is for medal manufacturing.
I’ll look early and often! Of course the medal for the half is Belle who is my favorite. 2022 will be my runDisney year!