RunDisney Team easyWDW

BoSoxGal

I've done most races with others, but almost always running different paces. We start together and meet up at the finish, but split up during most of the race. The one exception was when it was my SILs first half and so we stuck together so she would have a cheering section.

I'm excited for Marathon weekend because I will be running the 10K and half with my BFF. Our last pre-pandemic race we had pretty close paces so stayed together until the last 2 miles when she walked the end.
Aww that’s awesome!

disney obsessed mom

I've done most races with others, but almost always running different paces. We start together and meet up at the finish, but split up during most of the race. The one exception was when it was my SILs first half and so we stuck together so she would have a cheering section.

I'm excited for Marathon weekend because I will be running the 10K and half with my BFF. Our last pre-pandemic race we had pretty close paces so stayed together until the last 2 miles when she walked the end.

Yay! Running with your BFF is the best!

disney obsessed mom

Opinions needed:

My DD11 has been begging me to let her run a runDisney race for several years now, but frankly, I like doing the races with my BFF as a kid-free girl's weekend. It's just a lot more relaxing. However, our planned family spring break trip just happens to coincide with the springtime surprise, so I was planning on letting DD run the 5k before they announced the themes and we found out that you actually have to be 13 to participate :(

When DD found out that she couldn't run, she was very upset, so as a consolation prize, I told her that we could do the virtual 5k and run it at Disney. I had meant that in a generic way - as in we could run a couple laps around crescent lake (we are staying at Swan Reserve), but she would like to run the actual course if possible. I'm assuming they will have to put up the start/finish stuff and all the mile markers a couple days before the actual race. So my question is do you all think we could show up about an hour before park close and run something close to the actual course through the parking lot and into AK? We have park hoppers so park entry won't be an issue.

Anne

Why do you have to be 13 to participate in the 5K? All the other 5Ks have been 5 (?) and up. Is it because it's a night race? Could she do the 10K? Haven't those had an age requirement of 10 and up in the past?

U

User56767

Why do you have to be 13 to participate in the 5K? All the other 5Ks have been 5 (?) and up. Is it because it's a night race? Could she do the 10K? Haven't those had an age requirement of 10 and up in the past?
The original Expedition Everest was an obstacle course/scavenger hunt race (like a very mild Spartan run). VERY different from the traditional runDisney 5Ks. It sounds like they may have retained some of those elements.
Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 6.59.40 AM.png

Mrs Darling

I really want to do a run event, but I feel like it's something that's more fun to do with someone else. It feels so intimidating!
I’ve done a few with others and a few on my own and while it’s definitely more fun with others, there’s something to be said for being able to pick your own pace, stop for the pictures you want, no waiting for others bathroom breaks etc. I’ve never had a problem getting another runner to snap a pic with my phone, & people are pretty chatty at the start line. Between the costumes & entertainment etc. There’s lots going on. The only part that’s felt a little awkward was waiting before heading to the corrals but just hop in line for a character and time flys.
TLDR - go for it! You won’t regret it

lovett1979

The original Expedition Everest was an obstacle course/scavenger hunt race (like a very mild Spartan run). VERY different from the traditional runDisney 5Ks. It sounds like they may have retained some of those elements.
It’s also a night race. I think they don’t want little kids getting lost or confused at night.

disney obsessed mom

No one knows why the age requirement is 13, but speculation is that it is because it's a night race and has a scavenger hunt component. It's not the same as the old expedition everest 5k though because the scavenger hunt will occur during the race rather than after and it's also app-based rather than paper clues handed out by CMs. I'm rather annoyed by the whole thing. I understand that the late start might not work for some kids, but it actually would have been perfect for my DD because she is a night owl. Even though she has a 9pm bedtime, she generally reads or listens to music for quite a while and doesn't actually go to sleep until MUCH later. She's also very experienced racing, having done at least 6 or 7 5ks already and I'd be running with her, so I'm not too concerned about her going off course or getting lost.

At any rate, I considered signing her up for the 10k instead, but I'm not as excited about the theme and it would be logistically more difficult because we are transferring from Disney to Universal that day. It would also require my DD to actually train over the winter which is pretty unlikely. I know she can run a 5k with no training, but we'd probably end up having to walk a big chunk of the 10k which would mean even less time in the morning to get ready, packed, and drop our bags before heading to the parks for the morning. The virtual 5k seemed like a good compromise because she still gets the fun medal and race shirt. Just trying to figure out how we could run something approximating the actual course. My thinking is that the crowds should be a lot thinner towards the end of the night at AK and that it wouldn't be too intrusive if we did a light jog/powerwalk through the park?

lovett1979

At any rate, I considered signing her up for the 10k instead, but I'm not as excited about the theme and it would be logistically more difficult because we are transferring from Disney to Universal that day. It would also require my DD to actually train over the winter which is pretty unlikely. I know she can run a 5k with no training, but we'd probably end up having to walk a big chunk of the 10k which would mean even less time in the morning to get ready, packed, and drop our bags before heading to the parks for the morning. The virtual 5k seemed like a good compromise because she still gets the fun medal and race shirt. Just trying to figure out how we could run something approximating the actual course. My thinking is that the crowds should be a lot thinner towards the end of the night at AK and that it wouldn't be too intrusive if we did a light jog/powerwalk through the park?

The actual race course will start and end in the parking lot, and will go backstage at times. There is no way to do the course on your own. I suppose you could just walk through the park in circles till you reach the right mileage. But running is not allowed. So if she just cares about doing it IN AK, that could be done, but not at a running pace. I would see if you could convince her to do your original plan of running around Crescent Lake and receiving the virtual medal and shirt in the mail afterwards. Since you'll be there during the actual weekend, you could go to the Expo and buy the related merchandise for the race. I just did my Princess 5k last week when I stayed at Pop century and ran around hourglass lake. I even stopped for a could of "character photos" at Art of Animation. Do whatever you can to make it special, but I don't think doing it at AK is going to work.

lovett1979

runDisney has announced the themes for the 2022 Wine & Dine Weekend. 5k is Coco, 10k is Raya and the Last Dragon, Half is Soul, and Challenge is the Genie. Really weird and disjointed, I think. The website tries to tie them together by saying "Celebrating the global community of runDisney, the 2022 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend presented by Shokz will explore the music, stories and culinary delights found around World Showcase during the EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival." They also have music notes in all the graphics, which works for Coco and Soul but not really for Genie, and not at all for Raya. So weird. I'm not super tempted by any of this, maybe the Coco 5k if I need an excuse to go to the Food and Wine Festival? General registration opens on March 22.

Anne

Interesting choice. I was thinking they'd do Villains again since it was so popular. My son wants to do the 10K and Raya is the one movie we haven't seen yet. On the plus side maybe it won't be as popular and we won't struggle as much to get a registration? I'm a little nervous because we will be at WDW on registration day and don't usually bring a laptop on our trips. I've never successfully registered from the phone/ipad

Mrs Darling

I'm doing the Princess 10K!!!!!! This will be my first non-W&D WDW race. I'm not looking forward to all the training in January and February, but I am so excited for the Belle theme (even though the animation style on the logo isn't great). Is anyone else doing Princess 2023?
Congrats!! Wish I was going but, sadly, no.

Anne

I'm doing the Princess 10K!!!!!! This will be my first non-W&D WDW race. I'm not looking forward to all the training in January and February, but I am so excited for the Belle theme (even though the animation style on the logo isn't great). Is anyone else doing Princess 2023?
Have fun! My son and I are signed up for wine and dine and are hoping to do the spring surprise. It's unfortunate they haven't announced the spring races yet, we've already made our DVC reservation.