Scotland must sees

Pampered Mom

Fraser is the family name of the main character in Outlander and here I've been pronouncing it incorrectly in my head all this time. I've never seen Braveheart. Now I've got some other shows and movies to look for if we ever get Netflix.

How do you pronounce Geillis?

When I was a kid, people grazed their sheep in our back field. There was one named Fergus. I have loved that name since then.

butchie30d

I love the first Highlander movie, never got into the TV show. The motorcycle event that I do the all the advertising/graphics for started a Highlander award a few years back - it was commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Scottish Six Days (a motorcycle event), by combining the Trials competition with 9 holes of golf (the event is right near a golf course). When my boss came up with the idea and thought it should be called the Highlander award, I totally ran with it, and designed a trophy that the shop created:

Yep, it's a full-size copy of the Clan Mcleod broadsword, embellished with golf clubs and handlebars.

Everyone had such a great time and loved the trophy so much, it's become an annual part of the event, and the trophy now travels to the new winner every year.

I loved it when the trophy would head back to the shop before the next event, because I would have it leaning against my desk, and could take it out and swing it around for stress relief.

I really want to go to Scotland. Even if there's not a bunch of really gorgeous Scotsman striding around the hinterlands in kilts, swinging broadswords.
That trophy is very cool!

Hi there. I was born and brought up in Fife, just north of the Forth Bridges. What are you really interested in? History, nature, shopping? You may have already 'done it' but Dunfermline is quite nice history wise. The Abbey contains remains of Robert the Bruce and there is Andrew Carnegie's birth place. The fishing villages up the East Neuk of Fife are also quaint and very pretty. We live in Glasgow and there are a lot of free museums and galleries. The shops up Buchannan Street in the centre of the city are nice as well.
Edinburgh Zoo is pretty good. They have been doing a breeding program with Pandas there. You have to book a time in advance to see the Pandas through their website though.
What about Rosslyn Chapel, which is outside Edinburgh? It is the one shown in the Da Vinci Code film. Even if you haven't see the film it is still a very interesting place to visit although I was surprised how small it was inside.
May is a good time to visit as we quite often get our best weather around that time.
Let me know if you need any specific info.

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
Fraser is the family name of the main character in Outlander and here I've been pronouncing it incorrectly in my head all this time. I've never seen Braveheart. Now I've got some other shows and movies to look for if we ever get Netflix.

How do you pronounce Geillis?

When I was a kid, people grazed their sheep in our back field. There was one named Fergus. I have loved that name since then.
I'm sure I have pronounced most names in Outlander wrong. I think we need someone to give us the correct pronunciations for all the names in that book.:RpS_tongue:

Ann

M

Merida

I need to dig out my Outlander books. I think I only made it to page 40 of book 1 :RpS_tongue: Not through lack of interest though (and I think I even had it with me when I was in hospital after having had DS4 LOL but yeah, I didn't get much reading done since then)

vatmark

Ann, we need the Outlandish Companion. It's supposed to give most of the pronunciations, at least for the more difficult people and place names. I wonder if it has the pronunciation of Fraser. I just looked at a map of Scotland again to see where Lockerbie is.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlandish-Companion-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0385324138/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387683250&sr=1-1&keywords=outlandish+companion
Holy cow! I think I have this book. I got it one Christmas but I don't think I looked through the whole book. I will have to check to see what words are in there. I will look for Fraser.

Ann

kmc8826

When we went a couple of years ago (pre-kids) we really enjoyed spending a night in Stirling. Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument are there. In Inverness, the Culloden Battlefield was beautiful and one of those places you could just feel the history.
Also just wanted to add that if you haven't made it through the Outlander books the Starz network is currently making the book into an original series...it is supposed to come out this next year. It looks pretty good...although the Jamie character is not quite what I had pictured.

Pampered Mom

As well as the show in the spring, the next installment in the book series is coming out next year as well. We will be welcoming a lot of people late to the Outlander party.

M

Merida

As well as the show in the spring, the next installment in the book series is coming out next year as well. We will be welcoming a lot of people late to the Outlander party.
I just looked it up on IMDB. Cool, the actress who is playing Claire has the same name as my daughter's middle name, Caitriona. Hopefully the series is a huge hit and people around here will say, "oh, so you didn't give your daughter a crazy made-up and uniquely spelled middle name then, huh?"

vatmark

When we went a couple of years ago (pre-kids) we really enjoyed spending a night in Stirling. Stirling Castle and the William Wallace monument are there. In Inverness, the Culloden Battlefield was beautiful and one of those places you could just feel the history.
Also just wanted to add that if you haven't made it through the Outlander books the Starz network is currently making the book into an original series...it is supposed to come out this next year. It looks pretty good...although the Jamie character is not quite what I had pictured.
Say what? I didn't know they were making a series???? I will have to see if we have Starz network if not we will be getting it.

Ann

goofyfan6698

Hi there. I was born and brought up in Fife, just north of the Forth Bridges. What are you really interested in? History, nature, shopping? You may have already 'done it' but Dunfermline is quite nice history wise. The Abbey contains remains of Robert the Bruce and there is Andrew Carnegie's birth place. The fishing villages up the East Neuk of Fife are also quaint and very pretty. We live in Glasgow and there are a lot of free museums and galleries. The shops up Buchannan Street in the centre of the city are nice as well.
Edinburgh Zoo is pretty good. They have been doing a breeding program with Pandas there. You have to book a time in advance to see the Pandas through their website though.
What about Rosslyn Chapel, which is outside Edinburgh? It is the one shown in the Da Vinci Code film. Even if you haven't see the film it is still a very interesting place to visit although I was surprised how small it was inside.
May is a good time to visit as we quite often get our best weather around that time.
Let me know if you need any specific info.
Thanks for the offer. When we visited last year, we saw Loch Ness, Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument, St. Andrews Castle, St. Andrews Cathedral, Huntington Tower Castle, Lochleven Castle & Urquhart Castle. I swear there is another one that we visited that was my absolute favorite because they have folks in rooms telling stories. I absolutely love the history and the beauty (nature) of traveling. If you would've told me that as a kid, I would've laughed. The Tomatin Distillery tour was fun because we were the only 2 people and my husband was able to ask loads of questions and it felt so personal. I'm up for anything but need to keep in mind that I'm going with my MIL and she isn't as active. She's loads of fun though.

I do think I would like to visit Rosslyn Chapel because I read the book and loved it. Oh yeah, a highlight of ours was when we were stopped on a road and helped put a lamb back in it's pasture. Another fond memory was meeting some of the cousin's friends, especially Beatrice, who told stories about the war. You just can't read that stuff in a text book.

M

Merida

Ta highlight of ours was when we were stopped on a road and helped put a lamb back in it's pasture.
One of the highlights of my time in Scotland was when there was a sheep just lying around in the middle of the road on the Isle of Harris and when we stopped (we were headed back to the ferry) another sheep came up to help nudge the sheep to the side of the road so that we could get through. I don't know if he was helping us or the other sheep LOL. Sheep are now my most favorite animal, even though American sheep are just not the same. Scottish sheep are the best!! We were never in a huge hurry to ever be bothered by the sheep causing traffic jams :)

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
Sheep jams sounds much more entertaining than cow jams. We get stopped by cow jams all the time on our back roads around here.

goofyfan6698

That's funny! When we were leaving Waterton Lakes headed to Glacier, we had to stop several times for the cows to cross the road. My DS7 thought that was the best thing. I had to laugh because my Grandpa(90) still has cows and DS sees them when he goes up. I suppose they aren't crossing the road so it's not the same thing in his eyes. Gotta love it!